Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Suckling Not Content With Missing Grand Final

www.afl.com.au

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Matthew Suckling says the two premierships under his belt aren't enough to take the sting out of being overlooked for Saturday's Grand Final.

Suckling missed last week's preliminary final against Greater Western Sydney and could not force his way back into the Grand Final side as coach Luke Beveridge opted for no changes.

The 28-year-old won flags with Hawthorn in 2014 and 2015 before joining the Bulldogs, but dismissed the notion that it might make his omission easier.

"I'm not content," he said at Friday's Grand Final parade.

"I want to keep winning and have more success.

"Hopefully I get a chance but the boys played so well last week (so) no need to change a winning side."

Suckling's preliminary final omission was initially attributed to an Achilles injury, but Bulldogs football director Chris Grant this week said it had been partly due to team balance concerns.

Suckling, who has been named as an emergency for Saturday's premiership decider, admitted his troublesome Achilles had prevented him from training at full intensity but said he would be ready to line up if called upon.

"I'm good enough to go but the preparation probably hasn't been ideal," he said.

"With every step there's pain, and it gets worse and worse after you train. We've been trying to manage the loads for the second half of the year and it's probably got a bit too much the last couple of weeks.

"I'll prepare as normal and if something happens I'll be ready to go but I'm more looking forward to getting along and supporting the boys tomorrow."

Dogs coach Luke Beveridge said it was "too hard to omit anyone" and picking Suckling was too big a risk.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suckling Not Content With Missing Grand Final

If he had played I think he would have become only the second player to play in consecutive premierships with different clubs. Might be three.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Feel bad for the guy.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good words to be saying after missing out

6. Likes boydogs, bulldogtragic liked this post