Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Back - There are 951 new posts! (I guess we lost)!

I was working last night and only really saw the last quarter...but even if I missed the game:

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 9.41.10 am.jpg

Hoping everyone is OK and feeling a bit more positive today.

Last night we played with free money. This week is what matters. I would have (100% and without hesitation) taken 5th place if offered at the start of the season...particularly if you told me we were heading into the finals with Bont, Macrae and Liber fit and with Treloar and Dunks a few weeks into their post injury comebacks.

No point throwing out the baby along with the bath water...it's gonna be OK.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks Go_Dogs, Eastdog, Raw Toast, choconmientay thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Scraggers, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome Back - There are 951 new posts! (I guess we lost)!

I appreciate your optimism mjp.

I think we are all battle weary in Vic after a challenging 18 months which compounds the loss. Hopefully you’re right and we can have a finals win next week. We all need it.

4. Likes Funke disco, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the optimism, i think; but saying you would've taken it at the start of the season I get but don't think it's an argument for the now.

We were on top 3 weeks ago with the chance to go a game clear. Now we are the first team since 1975 to drop the last 3 from that position with a really tough task just to win our first final in 5 seasons.

I'm certainly not trying to be reactionary in any way but that's the truth of the situation. I'm throwing that particular baby out because it isn't the same one we started with, it's now Damien from the Omen !

6. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, josie, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel a little better today, but it was hard to sleep last night thinking of the loss.

We are playing finals again for the 3rd year in a row, and I want a win next week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I don't particularly agree with mjp, two things I appreciate:
    1/ positivity, honestly I don't care if I agree or not, I can't read more negativity.
    2/ reasoning.

9. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I like the optimism, i think; but saying you would've taken it at the start of the season I get but don't think it's an argument for the now.

We were on top 3 weeks ago with the chance to go a game clear. Now we are the first team since 1975 to drop the last 3 from that position with a really tough task just to win our first final in 5 seasons.

I'm certainly not trying to be reactionary in any way but that's the truth of the situation. I'm throwing that particular baby out because it isn't the same one we started with, it's now Damien from the Omen !
    Yeah. I’d have taken 5th at the start of the year but three weeks ago I would have been livid if you told me we finish 5th….and here we are.

I like the optimism too. I have no idea how anyone can remain optimistic with our performances so I’m impressed to say the least!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I have no idea how anyone can remain optimistic with our performances so I’m impressed to say the least!
    You know I support the Bulldogs right? And a few short years ago our captain left to play for an expansion team? And then, we won the flag with the youngest premiership list ever and were seemingly set to dominate for YEARS...then the club embarked on a mysterious rebuild (of the youngest flag winning side ever) and missed the finals for the next two years?

Things could be (and often are) worse in the football world I inhabit.

There is a saying about a week being a long time in footy. I remember catching the train to the elimination final in 2016 with a ten tonne weight on my shoulders - the beating we were about to endure had been played out in my head over and again. We had made 5-changes to a team that had just lost to the bottom side by 100 points and it smacked of desperation...somehow we won and on we went. That side finished 7th and whilst it had showed signs...

I just think it's gonna be OK. I still think last night was house money...would top 4 be better? Well, yeah, but only if we won in week#1 of the finals...and I am more confident playing vs Essendon than I would be vs Melbourne or PA...

I understand the 'we were outplayed' comment - I get it. But at the same time, we have managed to - despite our seemingly inadequate defensive personnel - limit opposition scoring all year...so maybe a bit of credit for effort based on last nights performance. Was the silk and dash around the contest we have showed throughout the year evident? Well...not really. But doesn't that mean it is getting ever closer to coming back?

Besides ALL of that, what other choice do we have? Give up? Hell...10 teams wont be playing next weekend...ours wont be one of them. Finals are great - we don't get to play in them every year. Celebrate what we have because things could be (and have been) a lot (lot) worse!

Post Thanks / Like

The beacon is that we live to fight another day. All that is left to do is fight and fight hard.

13. Likes josie, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To me overly optimistic and overly negative are the same thing.

Reality is ok right re the last 3 weeks?

In my opinion we can't just ignore the fact that we have had a monumental moment of failure in the last three weeks by comparing it to some other time when it was worse. I've been to 7 losing prelims in a row live, yes there's been worse times.

I don't think people who are critical are doing anything other than conveying their dissapointment in the unbelievable reality of the last month.

An elimination final now is not the same as it was 4 weeks ago in my opinion and I think that's what most are trying to convey. Some a little more emotionally than others..

When I think about it the game last night it was a microcosm of the season. On top for most of it, then gone at the final hurdle.

Having said all that, I appreciate the optimism and spot on MJP we are still in it and who knows hey... But I'm going to be pi55ed off about this for a while yet and I think that's OK.

15. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    There is a saying about a week being a long time in footy. I remember catching the train to the elimination final in 2016 with a ten tonne weight on my shoulders - the beating we were about to endure had been played out in my head over and again. We had made 5-changes to a team that had just lost to the bottom side by 100 points and it smacked of desperation...somehow we won and on we went. That side finished 7th and whilst it had showed signs...
    Not putting it on your post, because I agree with you however it's funny how we remember things. The loss to Fremantle in the final game of the season was by twenty points in a game where it simply looked like we couldn't score. We left our best in Melbourne, missed out on the double chance and all was lost. It genuinely felt like 100 points at the time.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

We probably need a bit of positivity - myself included.

mjp, IF we lose next week, what would you do going forward? I get that hypotheticals help nobody (and somewhat contradicting my line above), but I suppose I am interested in what type of premium you place on next week's game.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been out praying to the footy gods to let Bris kick 8.16 tonight.
    They’ve been known to…let’s hope after they couldn’t miss last week, they don’t get near the middle sticks this week.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I’ve been out praying to the footy gods to let Bris kick 8.16 tonight.
    They’ve been known to…let’s hope after they couldn’t miss last week, they don’t get near the middle sticks this week.
    I have already started
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes DOG GOD, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    But I'm going to be pi55ed off about this for a while yet and I think that's OK.
    That's the thing I guess. I'm just not annoyed in the outcome last night.
    I said BEFORE the game that it was like gambling with free money and I still feel that way.

Sure, winning is better than losing but I just don't get the angst over a narrow loss to a red hot side...the players tried hard, they went down in a close one. Treloar and Dunkley got some more gametime into their legs. (HOPEFULLY) lessons were learned...we still play next week.

I really don't think I've put an optimistic spin on things (though the stuff about Treloar and Dunkley is a bit of mustard). I just refuse to feel any angst about a round 23 game that (to me) really doesn't move the needle much with regards our chances to win the flag. Whether we are 4th or 5th...ultimately what's the difference?

22. Likes bornadog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    That's the thing I guess. I'm just not annoyed in the outcome last night.
    I said BEFORE the game that it was like gambling with free money and I still feel that way.

Sure, winning is better than losing but I just don't get the angst over a narrow loss to a red hot side...the players tried hard, they went down in a close one. Treloar and Dunkley got some more gametime into their legs. (HOPEFULLY) lessons were learned...we still play next week.

I really don't think I've put an optimistic spin on things (though the stuff about Treloar and Dunkley is a bit of mustard). I just refuse to feel any angst about a round 23 game that (to me) really doesn't move the needle much with regards our chances to win the flag. Whether we are 4th or 5th...ultimately what's the difference?
    If you lose when you're 4th you can play again, and get more into the legs of Treloar and Dunkley?

I'm not sure how there's an argument not to get the double chance. But I'm trying to entertain it.

Richmond lost last year in the first week for eg.

I guess you play a lesser opponent, that bit I think I'm on board with.

Not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it, I just can't understand the point around 4th or 5th doesn't matter. I guess you're saying you think we can't beat 1st or 2nd for eg which I don't subscribe to completely.

But I enjoy the discussion; thought provoking.