Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  39
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Cash Converters - Recycling Pre-Loved Players

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As Rocco said, we eased Stevens out who wanted better opportunities than we could offer. Barlow is looking to extend his run in the AFL. Age shouldn't really be a consideration as we can still draft the players we would as the best available with our first 3 selections.
    I would much rather we give games to Williams, Webb, Smith and Dale than guys like Barlow. these guys have fresh legs and all were superb in the VFL finals. They have put their hands up and are ready to play seniors. They deserve a go ahead of recycled players from other clubs in my view. We also have Jong and Suckling to throw into the mix.

I'm not against bringing in recycled's, asI've been an advocate for bringing in Jordan Russell, it's just I don't think what is on offer is all that good.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 01-11-2016 at 11:26 AM.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

What about Barlow?
    Hes a good player, but not sure we have a list spot for him. I guess it depends on what we are looking at doing with that pick 75, do we use it on a kid or on a DFA.

I'd prefer to target a tall defender if we are going down the DFA path. Barlow is a type we have a fair few of.

I'd happily take him as a rookie though.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    We are well and truly in premiership contention. If we can improve our chances, even if ever so slightly, at a small cost (late pick, DFA or rookie draft), we would be mad not to.

Our list is young and not only haven't we traded our our draft picks, we have upgraded them.
    Exactly. It's not like a few years back where we traded for a lot of experienced players because we were close. When I think about the lack of development in the younger players then and compared it to now and what we are suggesting it's a chalk and cheese comparison that doesn't compromise the development of players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Hes a good player, but not sure we have a list spot for him. I guess it depends on what we are looking at doing with that pick 75, do we use it on a kid or on a DFA.

I'd prefer to target a tall defender if we are going down the DFA path. Barlow is a type we have a fair few of.

I'd happily take him as a rookie though.
    To me he's way too good to be a rookie, he's not the type you can be half in with.

With Wallis out for a while to come plus losing some depth in Stevens and Hrovat I think we could easily find a spot for someone who is capable of getting 30 possessions.

Tend to agree that a tall defender addresses a gap in our list better but if we really did chase Deledio hard before he chose GWS as a few articles are suggesting Barlow might bridge some of that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

To me he's way too good to be a rookie, he's not the type you can be half in with.

With Wallis out for a while to come plus losing some depth in Stevens and Hrovat I think we could easily find a spot for someone who is capable of getting 30 possessions.

Tend to agree that a tall defender addresses a gap in our list better but if we really did chase Deledio hard before he chose GWS as a few articles are suggesting Barlow might bridge some of that.
    Yeah, I agree hes probably too good to be a rookie and surely someone will offer him a spot on their list.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

We have strong systems in place and they will be massive in selecting recycled Moneyball types.

Mids with quick hands and strong work rates will fit right into side and our style will help them in turn. Defenders who fit a team defence style are the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    We have strong systems in place and they will be massive in selecting recycled Moneyball types.

Mids with quick hands and strong work rates will fit right into side and our style will help them in turn. Defenders who fit a team defence style are the same.
    I'm confident you could throw just about any 190cm+ defender with a modicum of talent into our defensive set up and they'd go better than ok. I mean, Hamling and Roberts are premiership key defenders!

I'm keen on either O'Shea or Litherland. Barlow not so much because whilst he's a good solid AFL quality player, he doesn't suit a positional need as much as the other two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm confident you could throw just about any 190cm+ defender with a modicum of talent into our defensive set up and they'd go better than ok. I mean, Hamling and Roberts are premiership key defenders!

I'm keen on either O'Shea or Litherland. Barlow not so much because whilst he's a good solid AFL quality player, he doesn't suit a positional need as much as the other two.
    As long as the defenders are mobile/smart enough to play as part of a team defence. Really style doesn''t really suit the old school one on one types like Nathan Brown but yes, our set up does make the right type look a lot better than they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Worth a look? Delisted free agents most likely to find new homes

A HOST of experienced AFL players will be hoping for a football lifeline when the delisted free agency period opens on Tuesday.

Axed Fremantle midfielder Michael Barlow heads the list of hopefuls, with the 29-year-old ball magnet appearing the most likely to find a new home.

Bombers top-up players James Kelly and Matt Dea are set to return to the club in 2017, while dangerous ex-Brisbane Lions small forward Josh Green has also been linked to Tullamarine.

Will Minson, Drew Petrie, Andrejs Everitt, Jack Grimes, Alex Silvagni and Xavier Richards are just some of the other names in this year's delisted free agency pool, which AFL.com.au has assessed to determine who might receive another chance.

MICHAEL BARLOW, aged 29
    Fremantle (126 games, 81 goals)
    The ball magnet's fine career could continue at a club looking to add experienced, reliable depth to its midfield. Popular, professional and a workhorse, he is smart enough to overcome any lack of leg speed. Too good not to play somewhere in 2017 as he can compete with the game's best midfielders, having polled 48 Brownlow votes in his career. Adelaide has been linked with him but more than one club is interested.

MATT DE BOER, 26
    Fremantle (138 games, 48 goals)
    Tough pressure forward instrumental in Peel Thunder's premiership is a leader on and off the field. If he decides to go on he would fit nicely into several line-ups, particularly ones such as Gold Coast looking for hard bodies at ground level.

MATT DEA, 25
    Richmond (31 games, one goal), Essendon (21 games, 0 goals)
    Likely to stay with Essendon after reviving his career when the Bombers needed to replace its suspended dozen. The tough ex-Richmond defender performed well in 2016.

ANDREJS EVERITT, 27
    Western Bulldogs (36 games, eight goals), Sydney Swans (43 games, 24 goals), Carlton (52 games, 61 goals)
    Expect several clubs to be interested in Everitt, who is now searching for his fourth AFL home. He has played at least 11 senior games in each of the past seven seasons and is a good hit-up forward.

JACK FITZPATRICK, 25
    Melbourne (22 games, 24 goals), Hawthorn (three games, three goals)
    The 200cm big man proved late in the year he can come in and play a role as a forward-ruck, famously booting the round 23 match-winner which sealed Hawthorn's top-four spot. Fitzpatrick has made way after the Hawks upgraded to Ty Vickery but with big men in demand, he might get another chance, maybe even back at Waverley.

JOSH GREEN, 24
    Brisbane Lions (81 games, 107 goals)
    Feeling like he might need a fresh start, he held off on accepting a contract offer early in the year and is now one of the best-credentialled delisted free agents available. The small forward, who has been linked to Essendon, kicked at least 24 goals three seasons in a row before dropping off this season due to a foot injury that hampered his pre-season.

JACK GRIMES
    , 27
    Melbourne (100 games, 11 goals)
    The former co-captain could not win a permanent spot in the emerging young Demons as they looked to foster young talent. A fresh start could do wonders and, at worst, a club would get a team-first warrior.

JAMES KELLY, 32
    Geelong (273 games, 88 goals), Essendon (20 games, two goals)
    Looks set to continue with Essendon after an excellent season on and off the field when added to the list to replace the suspended Bombers. Finished second in the club best and fairest, and John Worsfold wants him to stay on during the club's transition year.

ANGUS LITHERLAND, 24
    Hawthorn, (25 games, one goal)
    Found it tough to break into the Hawks' defence during their premiership years and then failed to take the opportunity early this season. A good defender, he has been in a strong environment but has not been linked with another club as yet.

BRAD McKENZIE, 23
    North Melbourne (37 games, six goals)
    Uses the ball well and was a high draft pick (No.18 in 2011) but he never cemented a spot at North Melbourne despite playing senior football in each of the past five seasons. He could provide a club with depth across half-back and the wing.

WILL MINSON, 31
    Western Bulldogs (191 games, 81 goals)
    Big-bodied ruckman who was All Australian in 2013 may attract attention from a club such as Collingwood, which will want to give Brodie Grundy and Mason Cox some back-up, having lost Jarrod Witts, Darrean Wyatt and Corey Gault.

CAM O'SHEA, 24
    Port Adelaide (81 games, seven goals)
    On the lookout for a new club after being let go on Sunday. The former Power defender was on the fringes of Port's best 22, but can go through the midfield and, standing at 193cm, has the height to offer something to a club needing hardened backmen.

CLANCEE PEARCE, 26
    Fremantle (100 games, 36 goals)
    Rugged on-baller worked hard to reach 100 games but he can play. He has strength and the discipline to stick to his task.

DREW PETRIE, 34
    North Melbourne (316 games, 428 goals)
    Despite securing Nathan Vardy in the NAB AFL Trade Period, the Eagles haven't ruled out recruiting Petrie to add more depth in the big-man department in the wake of knee injuries to Nic Naitanui and Scott Lycett. Has strong ties with West Coast coach Adam Simpson.

XAVIER RICHARDS, 23
    Sydney Swans (12 games, 13 goals)
    Made a shock request for a trade back to Victoria late in the trade period after playing in Sydney's Grand Final and receiving a contract offer, but attracted little interest and was subsequently delisted. Carlton may look to add some forward presence.

ALEX SILVAGNI, 29
    Fremantle (53 games, 10 goals)
    Solid defender who finished the season in outstanding form although it went unnoticed. Collingwood had interest during the trade period before it recruited Melbourne's Lynden Dunn. Silvagni will still be considered as a delisted free agent.

JASON TUTT, 25
    Western Bulldogs (26 games, 22 goals), Carlton (14 games, five goals)
    Stuck between VFL and AFL in terms of talent, but he could find a rookie spot at a club looking to bring in a seasoned player.

JOSH WATTS, 20
    Brisbane Lions (0 games, 0 goals)
    Did not get a run with the Lions due to a groin injury that never came right but he is expected to overcome that injury and could be worth another chance.

ALEX WOODWARD, 23
    Hawthorn (two games, 0 goals)
    Hasn't had a fair run at making it as an AFL player after three knee reconstructions in four years. Woodward's talent and toughness is undeniable, and the 2014 Liston Trophy winner in the VFL should be in the mix to find another home. The Brisbane Lions' recently appointed coach, Chris Fagan, is a fan of the midfielder, who also skippered the Sandringham Dragons to the TAC Cup flag in 2011 under new Lions assistant Dale Tapping.

Yet to be signed but not delisted
    Ricky Henderson (Adelaide)
    Kaiden Brand (Hawthorn)
    Jake Barrett (Greater Western Sydney)
    Tom Lonergan (Geelong)
    Jarryd Blair (Collingwood)
    Josh Cowan (Geelong)
    Tom Downie (GWS)
    Harry Dear (Adelaide)
    Zac Clarke (Fremantle)
    Mitch Brown (West Coast)

Post Thanks / Like

If Jason Tutt gets another chance this industry is dumb.

Watching the Grand Final again, for the 11th time, Richards looks like a decent work in progress. Tall, agile, decent mark, tidy kick. But I think he needs to find a spot and develop in it and a role. Sydney have thrown him around a bit, but he was still in the minor premiers best 22 come Grand Final day.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Ricky Henderson is now a delisted free agent as of today.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should absolutely sign a DFA. One year contract for a defender, attack an upgraded version in FA/trade next year if available and keep the DFA if they've shown the form.

Litherland appeals solely due to his exposure to Hawthorn's defensive structure, but I know little else about him.

Richards didn't impress me in the GF but im not going to judge him of that one game.

I'd be confident they will offer more than pick 75 in 2017, and an extra 24-28 year old is actually pretty good for our team balance.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I would much rather we give games to Williams, Webb, Smith and Dale than guys like Barlow. these guys have fresh legs and all were superb in the VFL finals. They have put their hands up and are ready to play seniors. They deserve a go ahead of recycled players from other clubs in my view. We also have Jong and Sutcliffe to throw into the mix.

I'm not against bringing in recycled's, asI've been an advocate for bringing in Jordan Russell, it's just I don't think what is on offer is all that good.
    Doc, who is this Sutcliffe ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Doc, who is this Sutcliffe ?
    Oh God, brain fade!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Oh God, brain fade!
    It's spelled Brian fade