Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  39
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Cash Converters - Recycling Pre-Loved Players

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So he & Lewis Taylor want a combined $1,000,000 a year, or 10% of the salary cap spent on just them two....

*!*!*!*!ing dreaming!
    Exactly what I thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather hit the draft than take in rejects from bottom feeding clubs like Carlton and Brisbane. Our success has come primarily through the draft and I don't want us to fall for the 'topping up' trap.

This is a good draft and I'd like us to go in with 4 picks and keep bringing in talented young guns.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

3. Likes 1eyedog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I wouldn't mind having a look at Green
    God no.

He's a limited and mediocre small forward with a complete inability to play anywhere else and an overinflated opinion of himself. If he was given a spot on our list ahead of anyone else currently on it I would be incredibly disappointed.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I'd rather hit the draft than take in rejects from bottom feeding clubs like Carlton and Brisbane. Our success has come primarily through the draft and I don't want us to fall for the 'topping up' trap.

This is a good draft and I'd like us to go in with 4 picks and keep bringing in talented young guns.
    I think there needs to be a balance of drafting and trading to continue to improve the list. It's all well to say lets hit the draft but we almost certainly pick the best players regardless of the position they play which leads us to an unbalanced list or one where there are a few gaps.

To me looking at bringing in a player through free agency does not compromise the drafting of players. If we looked at a Richards it gives us a player with a bit of senior experience and one who has been in a good system for a few years. It then adds a bit of insurance that we won't have next season.

I'd look for 4 inclusions as well, 3 via the draft and 1 needs based player through free agency. It worked well with Hamling 2 years ago and can do so again.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

This^^^^

Have said that for years and we have basically followed that over the past 3 to 4, just bringing in the odd man here and there. The premiership team only had three players from other teams.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

North have delisted Joel Tippett and Brad McKenzie. Any interest in Tippett for key defender depth, perhaps as a rookie?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This^^^^

Have said that for years and we have basically followed that over the past 3 to 4, just bringing in the odd man here and there. The premiership team only had three players from other teams.
    What is the issue in bringing in players from other teams if they address gaps within your playing list? Hawks have used this successfully for years. So have other good sides.

We wanted Hurley to add to our existing KPD stocks but didn't get him and now lose Hamling with Adams serving notice so why wouldn't you look at some other options if there is minimum risk?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What is the issue in bringing in players from other teams if they address gaps within your playing list? Hawks have used this successfully for years. So have other good sides.

We wanted Hurley to add to our existing KPD stocks but didn't get him and now lose Hamling with Adams serving notice so why wouldn't you look at some other options if there is minimum risk?
    It just needs to be done correctly and thats what we have done recently. Signings like Hamling and Biggs cost us absolutely nothing, very different to the trades of Street and Koops for example.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It does cost a list spot which a few years ago we could afford, right now perhaps not given it's a premiership list with quite a bit of 25th-35th quality.

If we put Prudden on the rookie list and pick up O'Shea (decent KPD) that's fine, or rookie a mature state leaguer ruck, but I can't see too many other mature options that really provide anything we haven't already got.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    It just needs to be done correctly and thats what we have done recently. Signings like Hamling and Biggs cost us absolutely nothing, very different to the trades of Street and Koops for example.
    Exactly. I have no issues with debating the merits of any candidates but a blanket no seems counter productive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    It does cost a list spot which a few years ago we could afford, right now perhaps not given it's a premiership list with quite a bit of 25th-35th quality.

If we put Prudden on the rookie list and pick up O'Shea (decent KPD) that's fine, or rookie a mature state leaguer ruck, but I can't see too many other mature options that really provide anything we haven't already got.
    Do we not have an issue with being a bit short on key position defenders or a support ruckman? Did we not lose some depth with the loss of Hamling, Stevens and Hrovat which of course we now have Cloke in the positive column?

I look at our playing list and see opportunities to improve and I don't buy that it's not required.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. I have no issues with debating the merits of any candidates but a blanket no seems counter productive.
    A blanket no would have denied us Hammer & Biggs in the Grand Final. Both crucial in the win. I think the strategy should be to consider a mature player for the rookie list, and then allow form to dictate if they get elevated. With Wally out for the year, we can effectively get a Biggs/Hamling type on the rookie list but have access to them at AFEL level all year potentially. I think our rookie list strategy could be very interesting and be a strategic advantage if we use it right.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We currently have a very strong team. Unless we brought in a high profile star, I don't believe we need to get a ready made player this year. As Doc said, I would prefer to bolster our stocks for the future through the draft.

We can bring in a mature age rookie that can be upgraded, to help fill in as insurance, some one tall as we don't need mids.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We currently have a very strong team. Unless we brought in a high profile star, I don't believe we need to get a ready made player this year. As Doc said, I would prefer to bolster our stocks for the future through the draft.

We can bring in a mature age rookie that can be upgraded, to help fill in as insurance, some one tall as we don't need mids.
    So to be clear in your opinion we don't need anyone to support the 2 ruckman we have and despite losing Hamling, missing out on Hurley, Adams putting us on notice plus Morris possibly in his last season in 2017 we can't even look at key defenders because of the strength of our senior playing list?

Post Thanks / Like

So to be clear in your opinion we don't need anyone to support the 2 ruckman we have and despite losing Hamling, missing out on Hurley, Adams putting us on notice plus Morris possibly in his last season in 2017 we can't even look at key defenders because of the strength of our senior playing list?
    I think we definitely need a young developing ruck at Footscray. We are not going to bring in anyone decent (i.e. ready to go) as a third-string ruck. We also need to undertake a fairly robust due diligence for a key defender between now and next year's trade period. This is the critical gap in the list that needs filling if Adams wants out.

Outside of this I would think the next port of call would be an outsider who uses it well.

I would look at best available as opposed to a stop gap in every circumstance and I'm not sure we're on the same page re. Dunn and one of the Browns.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.