Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

TheAge - The night before Bulldogs became premiers. The inside story of gathering at chairman's house.

I know not everyone is into TheAge but I am still enjoying our premiership win and can't get enough of sport reporters writing about US. Yes, you got that right. About USSSSS.

Haven't seen this posted up on WOOF but some interesting insight information and show how good Peter Gordon is in paying attention to detail. No one is left behind in good time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OCTOBER 8 2016
    The night before Bulldogs became premiers. The inside story of gathering at chairman's house
    Samantha Lane
    LINK

The invitations landed on Monday afternoon, grand final week. Via email. There was no time for post. We'd love to see you…

When: 7-9:30pm, grand final eve.
    Where: the Hawthorn home of Western Bulldogs chairman, Peter Gordon.
    Wear: a splash of red, white and blue. Old duffle coats optional.
    Why: it's the gathering some of us Bulldogs have to have.

United: Bulldogs' chairman Peter Gordon on radio with the premiership cup.

When the message hit his inbox, Campbell Rose, chief executive of the Dogs from August 2002 until December 2010, was not alone in feeling taken aback.

The guest list for this soiree called at short notice was a careful joint construction of Gordon and David Smorgon, the man who served 16 years as Bulldogs' chairman between Gordon's straddling two stints.

For the incumbent, the idea of hosting a catered function in the countdown to the most momentous match of his dedicated football supporting life was, in small part, self-serving. "What else am I going to do the night before?", Gordon had asked himself after the Dogs' first premiership tilt in 55 years was officially booked.

Luke Darcy

The overriding motivation, however, for what will now be remembered as one of the most profound off-field assemblies in the club's history, and precursor to the joyful drought breaking on-field, was far deeper.

On this night a bunch of current, and long gone Bulldog chiefs, board members and other key influencers – many witnessing, if not left personally bruised by divisions across eras – was unifying.

As erstwhile Dogs' CEO Rose, who wore Bulldogs scarf and socks to the Gordons' that night, put it afterwards: "I was honoured, I was taken aback and I was privileged to be invited.

"I was honoured because at clubs, often, one minute you're the rooster – and I was the rooster for eight years – and the next minute you're the feather duster.

Grand final eve was just one of the great many moments that I felt was really special

Luke Darcy
    "It's easy to be left behind in the wake of those who are the roosters of today. Peter brought the feather dusters together and we were all – on that grand final eve night – roosters."

Gordon had stated in the invitation that the function he was putting on with wife Kerri O'Toole (the couple celebrated their 17th wedding anniversary on grand final day) was to be informal.

The fact he wore a hand-knitted tricolour beanie – think tea-cosy design – as hot and cold canapes of chicken, arancini and duck were passed around, showed him as being true to those words. But there were some formalities and, in a way that could have neither been predicted nor manufactured, they imbued powerful audience emotion.

Another former Bulldog CEO present, Simon Garlick, was brought to tears listening to the mix of roughly half a dozen current and former Bulldog figureheads speak. Among those who felt compelled in the moment was former coach Terry Wheeler, the Bulldogs cruelly injured current captain Robert Murphy, accompanied by wife Justine, Smorgon, Rose and Gordon.

"It was a really powerful and moving occasion," Garlick who, before his four-year CEO tenure was ended in February 2015, oversaw moves that would prove key to this year's flag winning, reflected this week.

"I hadn't been back to the club in an official capacity, or a function or anything like that, but Lu and the kids and I had been to numerous games.

"Admittedly when people were speaking it was probably the most emotional I'd been for the week. I didn't know Bob [Murphy] was going to be there. The speeches were a bit of a blur for me because I was just trying to keep it together and I'm not an overly emotional bloke! It all sort of hit me that night I think."

Among former club directors who had helped steer the Dogs through fractious, even if ultimately galvanising, "Fightback" and "Save the Dogs" committee days, Garlick particularly enjoyed seeing the faces of enduring benefactors Alan Johnstone and Garry Johnson.

Luke Darcy, one of Garlick's former teammates and crucial in the recommending of Luke Beveridge as coach, was also there. And even well after last Saturday's final siren Darcy was still counting the grand final eve gathering at the Gordons he attended with wife Rebecca among the highlights of an enchanted week.

"Over a long period with people at footy clubs you have these great friendships, but you also tend to get fractured at times. People move on and, for whatever reason, some people don't necessarily exit the way they want to. But when you actually boil it down there's this amazing connection we've all got," Darcy reflected.

"The most joy for me of that whole week – and that function included – was that it just connected so many people back together.

"Grand final eve was just one of the great many moments that I felt was really special: people coming back who may not have felt comfortable to come back for a while, and then people who have been there all along. There was just so much joy."

Smorgon, who wore his Bulldogs scarf that Friday evening, described "a very significant night. For a number of reasons".

"It wasn't an exhaustive guest list," he said, "but it was done for people that, in the opinion of both Peter and I, have done over and above the call of duty over a number of years for the club. Although not necessarily those who have been paid by the club in terms of paid officials.

"There has been this overriding issue between Peter's team of '89 to '96 and then of course my team from '96-2012, and then Peter's team from 2012 to today. To that extent there was a demarcation between those who have been involved over that period of time. You could say it was a coming together of 27-28 years of involvement at the Bulldogs and everyone under the roof for the first time.

"Peter, in his speech delivered from the side of his couch, explained in an emotional and passionate way the reasons why we were there that night. He also gave the opportunity for anyone in the audience to come up and say how they felt on the night. So it wasn't orchestrated. You've got to presume Peter had thought about it, but it was done in a very considered manner, and in a safe and warm environment, that everyone felt very comfortable with.

"It was beautifully done. No one had any notes so it was impromptu and it came from the heart."

Rose, Dogs CEO for eight years but – like Garlick – said this week he had not attended anything official at the club since, began his thought sharing with two words: "cede nullis'', the Bulldogs' motto – "yield to none".

"There were about 80 people in that room. We've all got our own stories," he said.

"But there's one thing that binds us. It's not the stories, it's not the lows – and some lows were very, very, low – it's cede nullis. None of us were prepared – and we're still not prepared – to yield. We were, and are, still here supporting the red, white and blue. Football clubs have these hate-love relationships. For the first time there were a lot of people in the room and there was no hate, there was love."

"Peter's invitation, to me, embodied what I was trying to achieve as chief executive in terms of bringing people together. Except he took it to the next level, broadening it beyond the presidents to the directors, past CEOs and some past club captains and coaches."

A week later, Gordon was reticent to share too much detail about what was exchanged in his home that Friday night. Though the happening was far from a state secret, he told Fairfax Media it was ultimately a private event and those who were moved to speak did not do so on the basis words might be re-quoted.

Asked, though, about the lasting meaning of the evening for him, Gordon said simply: "It just seemed like the right way to spend our first grand final eve in 55 years".
    Last edited by choconmientay; 13-10-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: formatting.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TheAge - The night before Bulldogs became premiers. The inside story of gathering at chairman's house.

what a great story
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TheAge - The night before Bulldogs became premiers. The inside story of gathering at chairman's house.

Thanks for posting.
    Great story

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting, great story.
    I'm loving reading the stories coming out this week.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

5. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smart to bring together all the different factions and unite them as one.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

How can you not love this great club. Since Peter Gordon took back the reins the club has forged forward with force. Such a thoughtful and kind gesture to do to unite people who once served this great club.

Brilliant Gordo, brilliant.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

8. Thanks Bulldog Revolution thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My invite must've been lost in the mail. If happens again next year Peter it's officially a snub.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes choconmientay, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    My invite must've been lost in the mail. If happens again next year Peter it's officially a snub.
    Tom Boyd hadn't won us a GF at that stage. Now, clearly you are at the top of the invite list.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Tom Boyd hadn't won us a GF at that stage. Now, clearly you are at the top of the invite list.
    Now just sit by the mail box for the next year waiting for the invite to be delivered.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Now just sit by the mail box for the next year waiting for the invite to be delivered.
    It was sent via email, so just keep clicking refresh!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Likes bulldogtragic, choconmientay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It was sent via email, so just keep clicking refresh!
    Maybe it's in my junk folder. I will check now.

Edit: Nope. But maybe they had my old email. But I'm sure Eastie can help with how to update my email details with the club for next year.

17. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome story!

Post Thanks / Like

More tears....great story. The prez is leading from the front!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant of Gordon to share the spotlight and attention with others in the lead up and after the Premiership

It helped the club IMO to hear from Smorgon etc after the prelim

I have genuine hope that this will really unite he club and draw out latent supporters

It brings me joy that so many can be proud to be bulldogs

21. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting choc. Another great story. I have just been getting around to reading the recent articles you have posted about our premiership win. Would be great to certainly in the future have a chat with Peter - obviously very difficult at the premiership party the next day at WO.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"