Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  51
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Half Way Through The Trade Period - Where Are We Headed?

I don't have a problem with not being major players in trade week but it would have been nice to identify and obtain a cheap player to address an area of need, as we did in the past with the Hamling and Biggs trades. I guess there's still time...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm not sold on needing KPD depth. We regularly played with one KPD this year (Collingwood) with Morris, Biggs and Wood playing tall. Our defensive systems across the ground mean that taller key forwards struggle against us which is one of the reasons why Hamling and Roberts performed so admirably.

I'm far more concerned about outside ball use than I am about KPD.
    Clubs play with hybrid backlines now though. They'll play Cordy, Adams and some natural improvement in Collins

Post Thanks / Like

So if we're not in the market for acquiring a significant recruit, then are we better off using the BIG surplus in our salary cap next year (based on the 800k freed up for the Hurley offer) to renegotiate existing contracts so as to position ourselves for say a tilt at someone come 2017 season end?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    So if we're not in the market for acquiring a significant recruit, then are we better off using the BIG surplus in our salary cap next year (based on the 800k freed up for the Hurley offer) to renegotiate existing contracts so as to position ourselves for say a tilt at someone come 2017 season end?
    Yes most definitely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I don't have a problem with not being major players in trade week but it would have been nice to identify and obtain a cheap player to address an area of need, as we did in the past with the Hamling and Biggs trades. I guess there's still time...
    Spot on. It doesn't have to be a big name but someone who provides some coverage.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Spot on. It doesn't have to be a big name but someone who provides some coverage.
    Agreed. Maybe there's another Adams-type smoky Dalrymple's planning to hoist from the draft...?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Agreed. Maybe there's another Adams-type smoky Dalrymple's planning to hoist from the draft...?
    That's why I'm not assessing this period as a positive or negative until after the draft.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As per the other thread, we are being linked to chasing Lids.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    The draft is a fair way off though and to me it's either about covering some of our needs during the trade period or improving our draft position. There is still a bit to play out with Hrovat and Stevens and hopefully we can do something positive.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's probably too speculative for us. I tend to think if we haven't been linked to a player by now it's unlikely something will just jump out for us between now and the close of business tomorrow. Given you can't really trade for a player if they haven't done a physical test with your medical team I'd say we are happy enough to bring in Cloke and try and move up a bit with draft picks.
    Makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems Richmond want a late first rounder for Lids. GWS have 15 and we have 18. Barrett/Plough suggesting Richmond could pay $300,000 to facilitate that. If Lids doesn't want to move his family interstate, you'd imagine pick 18 would get the job done. Them paying $500,000 would make it doable too. Interesting to see if we are serious or not.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Pick 18 for 2-3 years. Will he make a difference re. the potential for another flag? I think if he comes to us he does make us better but how much? On the flip side GWS will be lessened by him not going there...
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

What about GWS needing picks for points ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Pick 18 for 2-3 years. Will he make a difference re. the potential for another flag? I think if he comes to us he does make us better but how much? On the flip side GWS will be lessened by him not going there...
    Deledio improves us and if we are not sacrificing to much, happy if we get it done.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Delidio offers us run and precise kicking, both of which are vital to our game - we suffered this year when our good to elite kicks were out of the side and there was a period where Caleb Daniel was close to our most important player because he was one of the few who could take the ball through the middle of the ground and deliver it well.

In addition, we haven't won a game without Matty Boyd since Beveridge has become coach - he's only missed 5 so it's still a small sample size, but it does at least suggest a vulnerability down back when Boyd is out that Delidio should be well placed to cover, with the added bonus of being able to go forward as well as into the midfield mix.

Initially I didn't like the idea of spending our first pick on him, but we're so young already, the list can still be improved, we're a better team with Delidio in it, and maybe, just maybe, he could be a bit like a Burgoyne and be another player who ages well and stands up at key moments.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

17. Likes bornadog, azabob, 1eyedog, Remi Moses liked this post