Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  51
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Half Way Through The Trade Period - Where Are We Headed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Our ruck stocks are actually two down with Goetz and Minson both leaving, so we do need to bolster this area by at least one in the off-season. Agree that we also need more KPD depth - Cordy will get monstered as a KPD in 2017 and Adams, whilst very talented, hasn't proven to be durable from an injury perspective thus far.

From a talent perspective, I think our list is in very good shape. We have an abundance of quality on the list IMO - just need to bolster a couple of areas that are a little skinny in terms of depth.
    Thanks for the detailed response. I didn't really count Goetz who was always a long term and speculative rookie but while Minson didn't play much I think we lose a lot of depth with the ruck options by not having him on the list.

I agree with the points you have raised on Cordy and Adams. It would be a huge ask to expect Cordy to hold down CHB during the season. Adams was very good and surprised a few but there has to be at least a small question on his durability and if he could get through a full season including finals. I'd add Roberts to the KP defensive options that wouldn't be regarded as durable. Campbell and Roughy have had their challenges.

I don't get the "we won the flag and everything must be right" approach. To me complacency shouldn't be accepted.
    We lose some of our depth with both Hrovat and Stevens likely to depart and of course a question mark on how long it will take Mitch Wallis to get back into good form next season. We also lose a lot of depth with Hamling's departure. Cloke covers Redpath and probably only improves things slightly.

It's good that we are going to the draft but if you accept the approach that you 'draft for quality' and 'trade for gaps within the list' have we really done enough so far?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Vardy off to West Coast.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Vardy off to West Coast.
    That would mean Minno said no to them.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Vardy off to West Coast.
    Looking likely but has it been confirmed? I've just heard Caddy to Richmond being mentioned for I think pick 27.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Looking likely but has it been confirmed? I've just heard Caddy to Richmond being mentioned for I think pick 27.
    Not official yet, but expected very soon.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Not official yet, but expected very soon.
    So that's the end of Petrie as well.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks for the detailed response. I didn't really count Goetz who was always a long term and speculative rookie but while Minson didn't play much I think we lose a lot of depth with the ruck options by not having him on the list.

I agree with the points you have raised on Cordy and Adams. It would be a huge ask to expect Cordy to hold down CHB during the season. Adams was very good and surprised a few but there has to be at least a small question on his durability and if he could get through a full season including finals. I'd add Roberts to the KP defensive options that wouldn't be regarded as durable. Campbell and Roughy have had their challenges.

I don't get the "we won the flag and everything must be right" approach. To me complacency shouldn't be accepted.
    We lose some of our depth with both Hrovat and Stevens likely to depart and of course a question mark on how long it will take Mitch Wallis to get back into good form next season. We also lose a lot of depth with Hamling's departure. Cloke covers Redpath and probably only improves things slightly.

It's good that we are going to the draft but if you accept the approach that you 'draft for quality' and 'trade for gaps within the list' have we really done enough so far?
    It's fine to express disappointment with our lack of activity, but I'd honestly like to know what moves you would have liked us to make that we haven't.

Given some of the crazy moves like Vickery at $500, Mayne and Wells on huge deals and Hawthorn's botching of the JOM deal, maybe making less moves was the non-complacent and reasoned response, rather than making moves for the sake of it.

I'm happy to back the brains trust that just won us a flag. If that's accepting mediocrity and being complacent, so be it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    While I don't want us to go out and randomly grab players I do agree it's a little worrying that we are not overly active.

I would have thought as far as being a club of choice goes our situation has never been better and we don't look to be cashing in on that. We can still improve our list dramatically. We didn't have the best list this year we had the best system and played to our strengths. We need to be looking to improve on our list and its weaknesses. We have shown that our system and style of play makes almost any player better and allows players to flourish. If you have a strength there is a role in our side. I hope we are picking the eyes out of other lists trying to find guys to play roles in our game plan.
    That's pretty much how I see it and it's great to have you on the site.. Yes there is a lot more development in the list especially the younger guys but we do have a number of challenges to maintain the progress we made this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sold on needing KPD depth. We regularly played with one KPD this year (Collingwood) with Morris, Biggs and Wood playing tall. Our defensive systems across the ground mean that taller key forwards struggle against us which is one of the reasons why Hamling and Roberts performed so admirably.

I'm far more concerned about outside ball use than I am about KPD.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm not sold on needing KPD depth. We regularly played with one KPD this year (Collingwood) with Morris, Biggs and Wood playing tall. Our defensive systems across the ground mean that taller key forwards struggle against us which is one of the reasons why Hamling and Roberts performed so admirably.

I'm far more concerned about outside ball use than I am about KPD.
    Agree. KPD depth is being overplayed, given our defensive system. I'd much rather focus on our strengths which is ball winning and retention. Outside kicking skills and pace would definitely improve our midfield, hopefully it's an area we target in the draft.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

hlnbidoffer Guest

I really wish I didn't see that Sliding Doors article from the #1 pickle, Barrett last week...

It meant I had completely unrealistic expectations of our involvement in trade week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hlnbidoffer View Post
    I really wish I didn't see that Sliding Doors article from the #1 pickle, Barrett last week...

It meant I had completely unrealistic expectations of our involvement in trade week.
    An actual pickle would know more about the machinations of our club than Barrett. Persona non grata.

Post Thanks / Like

Just on our lack of activity and general trade week pangs of FOMO ... take our Premiership winning side, subtract Hamling, then squeeze in Murphy, Crameri, Cloke, Suckling, Adams, Jong and eventually, Wallis and Redpath.

Not to mention increased pressure for selection from Campbell, Williams, Webb, Collins, Dale and Roarke Smith.

Sure, we'd like to fine tune elements of structural balance, but even if Cloke alone represents the sum total of our 2016 acquisitions, something tells me we'll be just fine.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

14. Likes Bulldog4life, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I have similar concerns about our KPD & ruck stocks going into next season, and if we finish tomorrow without having added depth at these positions (given the paucity of quality with the remaining uncontracted talent in these positions) I will have concerns for season 2017.
    Given we've yet to be linked to anyone during trade week (other than Cloke) I also think it's becoming increasingly unlikely we would pull any significant surprises between now and tomorrow.
    There might be something done late tomorrow but it's now it's very unlikely it will be significant.

Post Thanks / Like

In 12 months we'll lose Morris and possibly Adams, and if we don't trade you'd assume we maybe looking for a key back in 12 months
    Maybe bringing in a ruck as well .