Thanks Thanks:  140
Likes Likes:  278
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WBFC - Player Contract Status

This Tom Boyd deal is going to be the death of us....how the heck can we hope to re-sign our young tale....oh.what?? Richards you say?? 2 year extension..hmm..ok...umm carry on then. As you were.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I do wonder why Naughton hasn’t signed either. Usually these draftee extensions are announced together. Might be reading too much into it
    Players aren't kicking to him so he'll leave first chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Stating the obvious...

Western Bulldogs must try to re-sign Marcus Bontempelli before contract expires in 2019

THE retention battle at the Western Bulldogs was always going to be tricky.

When you win a flag, every young gun in the team wants a lick of the ice cream.

Especially with four free agents, including premiership stars Luke Dahlhaus and Jordan Roughead — out of contract at the end of this season.

But for new Dogs’ list manager Sam Power, one man stands above all others as the absolute priority re-signing at the kennel.

It’s captain-in-waiting, Marcus Bontempelli.

We’ve talked a lot about Tom Boyd’s $1 million-a-year deal and the spearhead played a vital role in a premiership.

But there is little doubt Bontempelli should command the best part of the same mountainous seven-figure salary on his next contract.

The challenge for Power is to re-sign him to a new deal this year, before Bontempelli’s contract expires at the end of next season, when every club in the competition will come for him.

Other than Dustin Martin or Tom Lynch, if you had to pick out one player from the schoolyard line-up to start up a new team, who would you take?

At 22, ‘Bonti’s’ right up there for his versatility, ballwinning, class and leadership.

But you could be forgiven for thinking the Dogs’ vice-captain has become something of a forgotten superstar in 2018.

From five games this year, he is yet to poll a single coach’s vote.

His Brownlow Medal odds have blown out from $9 to $51 with TAB.

He was tipped to take the competition by storm in his fifth season, but on paper, it would look as if the brilliant Dog’s game has stagnated.

The clearance king has averaged 20 disposals a game this season.

It’s a modest figure and his lowest tally since his stunning first season when Bontempelli was narrowly pipped by Lewis Taylor for the Rising Star award.

He is better than that, we know. Twenty touches is only average by Champion Data’s midfield standards and he has not had the influence on games he probably would have liked.

But the numbers don’t tell the full story.

In part, Bontempelli has sacrificed large parts of his own game for the benefit of his young teammates.

They have been the youngest and least-experienced team in the competition every round this season, the Dogs.

But where the No.4 draft pick could try and kick-chase and rack up bigger numbers in the midfield, Bontempelli has played 37 per cent of his game time forward — the most since 2014 — to help cover some of the club’s key forward deficiencies early in the season.

He has shouldered a huge load in the engine room without injured teammate Tom Liberatore, and Bontempelli’s touches have always been quality over quantity.

But to boost the value of his next contract, he’s probably better to hold off, for now. He’s capable of becoming the best player in the league, but the team’s form has undoubtedly impacted his own.

Remember his 14 kicks in the 2016 Grand Final triumph all hit the target. And he is one of only four AFL players to come off successive best and fairest wins.

On Friday night against Carlton, he will attempt to arrest the Western Bulldogs’ slide, having started the season at 1-4.

And he will lock horns with another one of the league’s top on-ballers, and future captain, Patrick Cripps. Where Bontempelli’s form has perhaps fluctuated in recent times, the Blues’ ball magnet is in career-best nick.

It’s a head-to-head battle which should flourish over the next decade and the Dogs must ensure their man stays in red white and blue.

4. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The most important position in AFL football (in my opinion) is playing midfield and that is where The Bont should be playing a large percentage of his game time. Forget this BS Bevo, if we can't get the ball into the the forward line then we won't kick goals anyway.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The Western Bulldogs and Luke Dahlhaus have suffered an early hiccup in contract talks

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are confident of retaining onballer Luke Dahlhaus despite an early hiccup in contract talks.

The Herald Sun understands the Dahlhaus camp is seeking a long-term contract as a reward for his eight years of service.

The Bulldogs would prefer to re-sign Dahlhaus on a shorter deal. The two parties have met twice and are yet to seriously discuss the financial component of his next contract.

Dahlhaus, 25, becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season but is a required player at Whitten Oval.
    His status means Dahlhaus can walk to another club without the Dogs being given the opportunity to match a rival offer.

The ball magnet recently voiced his strong desire to play out his career at Whitten Oval.
    “My manager and the club are still in talks, and it’s going to take a little time to get things done,” Dahlhaus said last month.

“But in saying that, the club is like my family now. I’ve been here eight years and I love it so much, so this is where I want to finish and play for the rest of my days.”

Dahlhaus qualifies for unrestricted free agency as a result of the mega contract Tom Boyd signed.
    The Dogs significantly front-ended Dahlhaus’s current deal to accommodate Boyd’s salary.

Dahlhaus’s first year was his richest and he will take home the fewest amount of dollars in 2018.
    That means he sits outside the club’s top 25 per cent of money earners this year, earning him unrestricted free agency.

Dahlhaus has traditionally recommitted early in the year but is happy to wait before inking his next deal.
    Dahlhaus has not spoken to any other club and the durable midfielder has missed just six games since 2012.

Dahlhaus finished outside the top 10 in last year’s best-and-fairest for the first time since he became a regular in the Bulldogs team.

Dahlhaus made his debut in 2011 and then finished fourth in 2012, sixth in 2013, fourth in 2014 and 2015 and sixth in the 2016 premiership season before taking a tumble last year.

Dahlhaus received one coach’s vote in both the Round 3 and Round 7 wins this year.

The tough midfielder has only kicked 1.3 this season but collected 29 disposals in Saturday’s win against Gold Coast.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez if that Tom Boyd mega contract doesn't get a scalp soon I'll offer myself up.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how far the club and Dahl are apart on contract length? I'm guessing Dahl might want 4 years and the club may only want to give him 2? I reckon 3 years would be a fair term.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I wonder how far the club and Dahl are apart on contract length? I'm guessing Dahl might want 4 years and the club may only want to give him 2? I reckon 3 years would be a fair term.
    Devils advocate, say you're right. The gap is just a tiny year. By letting the media promote that there's a chance for clubs to get him, might we be seeing what unofficial chats come into Sam Power's sphere. And maybe the debate internally, is not just the third year, but whether there's some first round compo in a super draft? Then it's a much bigger decision. Being the DA of course.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think a 3 year term on reasonable coin is fair. He would be 28 when that expires and there would be the genuine possibility of him getting another good contract then if he plays consistently well during the next contract term.

If he's looking for a longer term or JJ type money then I think he will, and should have, a problem with the club. I don't think his form since 2016 warrants a huge contract. If another club offers it then he would have to consider it. Carlton and Essendon might be willing? If so, we may benefit greatly from the compensation.

In any case, i hope everyone is sensible and he stays.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Stevens@Stevo7AFL

Dialogue open and “bubbling” along on new deal for Marcus Bontempelli, according to Dogs CEO Ameet Bains ... indicates intent positive .

12. Thanks bulldogtragic, hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes The Doctor, Happy Days, Eastdog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Marcus Bontempelli contract latest: Western Bulldogs open ‘pleasing’ discussions regarding extension

Mrcus Bontempelli has opened contract talks with the Western Bulldogs.
    Source: AAP
    THE Western Bulldogs have made contact with Marcus Bontempelli regarding extending his contract beyond 2019, with the club describing the initial talks as “pleasing”.

Bontempelli will be a free agent at the end of next season, with the Bulldogs understandably keen to lock away the young star before he enters the final year of his contract.
    The Dogs have been proactive in ensuring the talented 22-year-old extends his stay at the Kennell, with chief executive Ameet Bains providing an update on his status on Wednesday.

“Sam Power, our head of list and recruiting, has been in contact with (Bontempelli’s manager) Tom Petroro and discussions continue to bubble along,” Bains told RSN’s Breakfast Club.

“The most pleasing part of that, regardless of how long it takes from here, is that there’s an intent to get it done. That’s a great reflection of where the club’s at and where it’s going.”

Bontempelli missed last weekend’s clash with Gold Coast due to a hip injury, with the gun midfielder still touch and go as to whether he’ll be fit for the side’s Round 8 clash.

The Dogs face the Lions at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night, with the club likely to play it safe with Bontempelli should he not make it through Thursday’s final training session.

“He needs to get through training on Thursday, but Bevo said at his press conference that it won’t be a sit-and-wait decision like it was last week,” Bains said.

“If he doesn’t train fully on Thursday, he won’t play. But we are hopeful that he’ll get through.”

14. Thanks bulldogtragic, hujsh, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cordy new 3 year deal

16. Thanks Eastdog, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Cordy new 3 year deal
    I'm so happy I'm crying.

19. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm so happy I'm crying.
    You would be over the moon BT.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"