Thanks Thanks:  140
Likes Likes:  278
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WBFC - Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    So good to know that we can continue to enjoy watching him for another year.

Dale is very definitely the thinking woman's player of choice.
    My wife just has other thoughts about Dale, none of which I can list on here.
    She is very happy he is playing another year.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Daughter of the West liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smith signs on - read here

Can we re -rookie him? Not sure how this works
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor list management IMO. I'd be waiting until the trade and maybe draft period is done before signing him again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Smith signs on - read here

Can we re -rookie him? Not sure how this works
    Not sure. He was already on the rookie list for the maximum 3 years from 2015-2017. At the end of last year we had to delist him and re-draft him in the rookie draft. Unsure if he has reset as a rookie and this counts as his second year? I would have let him go but I hope at least he isn't taking a primary list spot, the article is unclear.

Post Thanks / Like

Yay!
    So Wallis and Dahl might being leaving but we secured Smith's signature.....Riiiiggghhtt.

I hope we have an amazing trade week and land a couple of gems through the draft because this makes me very nervous.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

F.M.D.

By the language, I think we have re-signed him to his rookie contract. I would expect to read that we have 'elevated' him to the senior list of that's what we've done. Why would we do either, I don't know. He looks like he trains hard and buys in, but there's a massive lack of any accomplishment on field. NMM should've taken up skate boarding.

Now just give Honeychurch a three year deal and this embolism in my chest can finally explode.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes DOG GOD, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely not
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

We shouldn’t be surprised Smith was given another year considering he played most games when fit in the second half of the season.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m happy to have Smith in the rookie list. He should provide more than a prospective rookie pick would. You never know of course but I’m fine with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I’m happy to have Smith in the rookie list. He should provide more than a prospective rookie pick would. You never know of course but I’m fine with it.
    I can't see how is he a rookie, I think he is now on the senior list
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can't see how is he a rookie, I think he is now on the senior list
    I don't think he can unless we delist and then redraft. He's on our senior list now. Not sure how I feel about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    A rookie could be anything. They could be a total flop or a breakout success. Smith is at best on shown ability a fringe backup player. I'd kind of prefer the gamble if I'm thinking about the long term.

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    A rookie could be anything. They could be a total flop or a breakout success. Smith is at best on shown ability a fringe backup player. I'd kind of prefer the gamble if I'm thinking about the long term.
    Ditto. We could get a NMM or a Gowers in lieu of Smith. Id take that bet. If Smith has a main list spot with very little to show why he deserves it, then Power doesn't hold dear how important a main list spot really is. Smith looks like a really good human being, but he's not an AFL standard player.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    F.M.D.

By the language, I think we have re-signed him to his rookie contract. I would expect to read that we have 'elevated' him to the senior list of that's what we've done. Why would we do either, I don't know. He looks like he trains hard and buys in, but there's a massive lack of any accomplishment on field. NMM should've taken up skate boarding.

Now just give Honeychurch a three year deal and this embolism in my chest can finally explode.
    I watched the replay of the first and last quarter of the Richmond match and in particular concentrated on Smith. Although he made a couple of disposal errors, overall he contributed well. eg: Nice handball to Greene for him to get a goal.

Let's see how he goes before some of us put the knife in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I watched the replay of the first and last quarter of the Richmond match and in particular concentrated on Smith. Although he made a couple of disposal errors, overall he contributed well. eg: Nice handball to Greene for him to get a goal.

Let's see how he goes before some of us put the knife in.
    I did the same. There was a clear handling error that cost us, but apart from that he was fine - in light of his experience.

The guy has just come off two years of knee injuries, essentially missing the most important part of his development as a league footballer. The fact he is polarising to fans, probably suggests given the previous mentioned issues having him around with hopefully some continuity, isn't such a bad thing.

He may not ever be first 22 (full compliment) as a walk up, but neither was the likes of Suckling and many of the - at the time - ordinary Hawthorn premiership players over the years. If we think we are genuine finals contenders next year (which is what we should be aiming for), and Roarke can add reliable depth as he improves then I don't see what the issue is. He will definitely work hard and add more than pretty much anyone we're likely to pick after our pick ten (or 22, depending on how high the AFL want to get on *!*!*!*!ing the draft) and Rhylee's eventual pick.

We as fans throw ourselves about the place too often when it comes to list management. If we thought there's better on our list or prospects coming onto the list in the near term who could perform better than Roarke in the specific roles we need him filling then he wouldn't have been signed.

Time will tell, but in this context Roarke is probably the safest bet for a final list spot.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post