Thanks Thanks:  140
Likes Likes:  278
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WBFC - Player Contract Status

When i've looked at this list i've been fairly shortsighted and only commented on who is coming out of contract end of the current year.

It got me thinking how far out does Sam Power and co look?

Do they have list scenarios for each future year, identifying players who under no circumstances do they let their contracts get into the final year or worse expire!

OK Crystal Ball Time;

Fast forward to the end of 2021 who are your top 5 players that we must have locked away on long term deals? No if's and maybes and apologies for leaving off X player.

For the purpose of the list and discussion I am being age agnostic.

In the mix for me is Lachine Hunter, Bailey Williams, Josh Dunkley, Aaron Naughton, Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Ed Richards, Zaine Cordy, Jason Johannisen, Jackson MaCrae and Toby McLean.

My top five would be:

Marcus Bontempelli
    Why: Captain in waiting, by far our our most important player on and off the field.
    % chance to leave: 30%. It is simple. If we are successful on the field he stays.

Aaron Naughton
    Why: An amazing first year, nothing really seemed to overaw him in his debut season. Will be the number 1 key defender for a long time to come.
    % chance to leave: 50%. Western Australian kid. I honestly don't know on this one. Would have preferred a 3 year extension rather than a 2 year.

Tim English
    Why: Looks to have all the tools required for a big man. Especially the way the game is heading.
    % chance to leave: 50% Same as Naughton - WA kid. Both clubs will come hard. Potential to be the best big man in the game.

Jackson MaCrae
    Why: Our second best midfielder who always gives 100%. Has improved year on year.
    % chance to leave: 5% highly unlikely to leave being a Victorian and appears to be quite at home.

Toby McLean
    Why: Talk about quietly going about your business! A huge talent who started off as a clever goal sneak to know a tough as nails midfielder who hasn't lost any of his flair and talent. Huge 2019 coming up for Toby and was rewarded with a long term deal last year.
    % chance to leave: 5% highly unlikely. Appears to be a very unassuming character who values hard work and loyalty.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to argue with those five. Bonts is, well, Bonts. We need to secure the few very good KPPs we have, so Naughton & English are locks. Macrae & McLean as well. Dunkley, Schache & Smith could be the bolters into a top 5 if they develop really well. Same with Richards & Williams if they turn into goal scoring mids who can play multiple roles. The 6-12 range all have the potential to go top 5, which is nice to know.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Lachie Hunter signs 5 year deal - Whooo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lachie Hunter signs 5 year deal - Whooo
    I feel like this has been completely glossed over because we announced our round one jumper an hour or two later lol
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Jackson Trengove - 2 or 3 years of his contract to go? Can't find his name in the OP.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Jackson Trengove - 2 or 3 years of his contract to go? Can't find his name in the OP.
    2020. In now.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LIBBA STARING AT SEVEN-FIGURE PAYDAY

Tom Liberatore has entered Liam Pickering’s management stable as he prepares for the most important contract season of his career.

His manager Tom Williams, a former teammate, has moved to Queensland and will now be the management group’s man on the ground up north.

To be frank the Dogs made Libba jump through all kinds of hoops to prove he was in the state of mind to continue at the Dogs, the father-son eventually signing a one-year extension.

They couldn’t have made it any clearer things had to change if he was to continue at the club.

All signs are that Liberatore is locked in mentally to prove himself after a cracking summer.

Stay squeaky clean this year and put together a booming year and he becomes a 27-year-old much-prized free agent in a game which values inside midfielders.

If his issues continue who knows what his career holds at season’s end.

It goes without saying it is a seven-figure difference between those two polar opposites.

Link

10. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Libba just walk after the “Way he was treated” what if his brother walks into the kennel. For me I can think why he would want to leave. But with his best mate at Geelong and Gary Jrn retiring this year. That means they have the cash to chase hard and get into his head.

For me we need to get Libba locked away before the mid season break as this is just going to be another huge media frenzy that will end in tears.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Emerging defender Young re-signs

Rookie defender Lachie Young has put pen to paper on a one-year contract extension with the Western Bulldogs.

The 19-year-old is in his first year at the Club, after being recruited with pick six in the 2018 NAB AFL Rookie Draft from the Dandenong Stingrays.

Young featured in the Bulldogs’ second JLT Community Series match, against St Kilda.

The extension will see the rebounding backman tied to the Bulldogs until at least the end of 2020.

General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said Young had impressed in his early days in red, white and blue.

“We’ve been really pleased with Lachie’s work ethic and willingness to learn,” Power said.

“This is good reward for the effort he has displayed throughout the pre-season and practice match period.

“Lachie has shown he is a good kick of the footy, courageous in the air and reads the play well.

“It was pleasing to see him get a taste of senior-level football in the JLT Community Series, and we’re excited to see him continue to develop over the next two years.”

Young said he had enjoyed his time at the Kennel so far, and was excited to extend his stay.

“I’ve loved it, ever since I got here everyone’s been really welcoming. I’ve really enjoyed it, it’s a great bunch of boys,” Young said.

“It’s nice to get the reward after a big pre-season, to get another year extended. I can’t wait to get stuck in over the next couple of years.”

13. Thanks Bulldog4life, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Must be impressing - gets a taste of it with some JLT time, now this.
    190cm defender, certainly seems like a Bevo type.

Post Thanks / Like

Libba a free agent, but not likely to be for long

Tom Liberatore is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. But after a stunning return to football the Western Bulldogs will move to secure him on a longer-term deal.

It was a quirk of timing with his injury and contract status that Liberatore was out of contract at the end of last season and so signed to a one-year deal after his second knee reconstruction.

The Bulldogs were not sure how he would come back after his second knee reconstruction. Liberatore was not sure either. So they agreed that he would sign just a short-term deal on relatively modest money.

After two games Liberatore might have six Brownlow votes. If he has not been the best player on the ground in those games he has plainly been the most important Bulldog on the ground.

When he plays well they play well. With him back and fit again the difference in the Bulldogs has been palpable. He is fast with his hands but also has that snappy bite around the packs with his swagger and manner.

As Bob Murphy said on The Age Realfooty podcast this week he is the spiritual leader of the Dogs now. From someone who was the previous spiritual leader of the club this was some recognition.

The club said this week they and Liberatore were comfortable with where the contract was at and that talks were ongoing with his management. There is no sense of unease from either party.

Liberatore is a more settled figure at the moment, he is in a new relationship with a woman who has a young daughter and he is very happy away from footy. He is eager at training and keen to stay at the Dogs.

"We will have discussions later," Bulldogs list manager Sam Power said.

"There is no hurry. Conversations with Tom Williams are ongoing. We really value Tom and want him at the club and speaking to Tom, we are confident he wants to be here too.

"He is an important player for us. It does normally take players a while after ACLs to get back to their best but with him you barely know he has done one,'' Power said.

''The way he has come back and played and his training and rehab he has been good the whole time."

16. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Libba a free agent, but not likely to be for long

Tom Liberatore is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. But after a stunning return to football the Western Bulldogs will move to secure him on a longer-term deal.

It was a quirk of timing with his injury and contract status that Liberatore was out of contract at the end of last season and so signed to a one-year deal after his second knee reconstruction.

The Bulldogs were not sure how he would come back after his second knee reconstruction. Liberatore was not sure either. So they agreed that he would sign just a short-term deal on relatively modest money.

After two games Liberatore might have six Brownlow votes. If he has not been the best player on the ground in those games he has plainly been the most important Bulldog on the ground.

When he plays well they play well. With him back and fit again the difference in the Bulldogs has been palpable. He is fast with his hands but also has that snappy bite around the packs with his swagger and manner.

As Bob Murphy said on The Age Realfooty podcast this week he is the spiritual leader of the Dogs now. From someone who was the previous spiritual leader of the club this was some recognition.

The club said this week they and Liberatore were comfortable with where the contract was at and that talks were ongoing with his management. There is no sense of unease from either party.

Liberatore is a more settled figure at the moment, he is in a new relationship with a woman who has a young daughter and he is very happy away from footy. He is eager at training and keen to stay at the Dogs.

"We will have discussions later," Bulldogs list manager Sam Power said.

"There is no hurry. Conversations with Tom Williams are ongoing. We really value Tom and want him at the club and speaking to Tom, we are confident he wants to be here too.

"He is an important player for us. It does normally take players a while after ACLs to get back to their best but with him you barely know he has done one,'' Power said.

''The way he has come back and played and his training and rehab he has been good the whole time."
    just, get it done before mid season, that’s all I ask
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Greene extends stay at the Kennel

Developing forward Fergus Greene has signed a one-year contract extension.

The new deal will see the 21-year-old remain a Western Bulldogs player until at least the end of 2020.

Greene joined the Club after being selected with pick 70 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft.

He made his AFL debut last season, in round 19, playing the last five games of the season and kicking a goal in each of them.

General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said the Club had been pleased with Greene’s growth as a player.

“Fergus has impressed us over the past couple of years with how his game has developed,” Power said.

“He got a taste of AFL football at the end of last season and looked comfortable at the level, and has carried that form into the pre-season.

“Fergus has good forward craft and knows how to hit the scoreboard, while he’s also a strong overhead mark and a good runner.

“We’re looking forward to watching him improve again this year, and continuing to push to play senior football.”

Greene has been on the fringe of senior selection so far in 2019, named as an emergency for the first two rounds and in the extended squad for round three, and been a consistent performer in VFL practice matches.

The Bendigo product said he was excited to remain a Bulldog.

“To be able to sign a one-year extension gives me another year to prove myself and to keep developing,” Greene said.

“Getting a taste at AFL level last year really drives me. I’ve been really pleased with my pre-season and just want to keep contributing and become a more consistent player.

“Coming into this year, it’s just been so enjoyable. The feeling around the group has been positive, and I’m excited to be a part of it.”

19. Thanks bulldogtragic, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a weird dude that Fergus. I do like some of his commentary online