Thanks Thanks:  140
Likes Likes:  278
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WBFC - Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Hunter, Dickson, Macrae, Wood, Suckling, Dahlhaus, Stringer, Roughead, Liberatore, Wallis, Smith, Biggs, Picken etc they are all very good cogs in a very good machine.

JJ is a very good player, but lets not get carried away and put him on a pedestal with Bonti.
    But you said "wanting the same" - which of those players is worth $700k?
    Surely you're not suggesting all dozen of them are worth $700k but we should hold out on JJ.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be more common now than ever before players waiting until seasons end .
    Sounds bit like a manager wanting some publicity to me .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    But you said "wanting the same" - which of those players is worth $700k?
    Surely you're not suggesting all dozen of them are worth $700k but we should hold out on JJ.
    JJ is not worth 700k imo , just like those others arent.

They'll be wanting the same which is 'overs' just like JJ. Doesnt mean itll be the exact same dollars.

Im not sure I'd have him in our best 5, i guess it depends on form. TBH hes probs asking for 200k more than hes worth, are we going to bend over for everyone wanting overs?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I read too where his Manager has postponed talks. Not JJ. Wonder how JJ really feels about it. A 180 degree turn about from what he said last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed the Bont-level chat is fanciful, but JJ's attributes are unique league-wide, let alone club-wide....and there's more obvious improvement in him.

Remember the effect his absence had on our back-to-forward transitions last season? We coped, with varying degrees of success but it was uglier and much harder work.

I wouldn't hesitate plonking him in our top-five paid. He deserves to be there.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They'll be wanting the same which is 'overs' just like JJ. Doesnt mean itll be the exact same dollars.

Im not sure I'd have him in our best 5, i guess it depends on form. TBH hes probs asking for 200k more than hes worth, are we going to bend over for everyone wanting overs?
    Who said anything about bending over?
    I don't think JJ is of equivalent importance to a dozen other players as you claim, he's one of the most important players on our list and should end up with a contract that reflects that.

I'm not panicking yet either, I still expect on the balance of probabilities that a deal will get done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Who said anything about bending over?
    I don't think JJ is of equivalent importance to a dozen other players as you claim, he's one of the most important players on our list and should end up with a contract that reflects that.

I'm not panicking yet either, I still expect on the balance of probabilities that a deal will get done.
    To me, paying him 700k would be getting bent over. Maybe i just dont rate him as highly as you do.

I do agree that sanity will prevail and a deal will get done at a reasonable price.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, paying him 700k would be getting bent over. Maybe i just dont rate him as highly as you do.

I do agree that sanity will prevail and a deal will get done at a reasonable price.
    We don't really know what the manager actually wants - he could be after a bigger slice of the marketing allowance ($500k pa as set by the AFL) to boost his profile given he has started at least one business in Melbourne and contract length can be just as big a sticking point as overall size.

We should thank Essendon if we manage to sign everyone anyways - they kicked in Crammers' contract last year so we were actually below the cap in a premiership year!

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    This always amuses me. We didn't rookie list him to be nice.....we did so because we saw potential. He owes us nothing other than to give us everything he's got out on the field......and nobody could argue he hasn't upheld his end of the bargain.

If we end up paying slightly overs for him, so be it. He has attributes we don't have in any other player on our list. I don't want to lose him.

Not ideal that he's put off contract negotiations but it's commonplace nowadays. Players will do what is best for their own long term future.
    Frame it anyway that amuses you. JJ would be DJing in Fremantle for 50k per annum if it wasn't for us.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I put up up thread a few weeks ago re. our best five players and I don't think anyone chose JJ.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I put up up thread a few weeks ago re. our best five players and I don't think anyone chose JJ.
    Probably because as fans we don't really appreciate then importance speed and line breaking ability brings. Right now my top 5 on out out and potential are:

Bontempelli
    JJ
    McRae
    Libby
    Dahlhaus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Errr

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Best?

Bontempelli
    Stringer
    Toyd
    Liberatore
    Dahlhaus

Or most vital to us?

Bontempelli
    Liberatore
    Wood
    Dahlhaus
    Johannisen
    Call me a fanboi.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Probably because as fans we don't really appreciate then importance speed and line breaking ability brings. Right now my top 5 on out out and potential are:

Bontempelli
    JJ
    McRae
    Libby
    Dahlhaus
    With the exception of the Hawthorn game he had a very good finals series but has he done it for long enough consistently enough?

Post Thanks / Like

Just to confirm he will stay at the dogs despite speculation, this from today ...
    Western Bulldogs defender Jason Johannisen wants to stay at the club despite contract talks being put on hold until the end of the season.

My management and the club are talking - I want to be at the Bulldogs".

"They've given an opportunity to myself that I never thought could happen and I just want to repay the faith".
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like his manager is shopping around and he just contacted him and said no I'm staying I'm not interested in moving, just get me the best you can here.
    Bring back the biff