Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Case for Recruiting Mitch Brown?

- Hamling is leaving
    - Adams may be leaving
    - Hurley re-signed, Marchbank wants to Carlton and there's not much better available

- Mitch Brown is a Free Agent, and comes for free
    - Mitch Brown is 100% returning to Victoria as his wife's Netball Career has brought her to Victoria

- Mitch Brown is 27, 195cm, 95kg and has 94 games experience
    - Mitch Brown averages 11 disposals per game, 3.2 marks which is about the same as Hamling, & better than Nathan Brown
    - Mitch Brown is a competent one on one defender
    - Mitch Brown is experienced in playing zone defence, and in complex systems like we use

Is that strong enough of a case?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Case for Recruiting Mitch Brown?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    - Mitch Brown is a competent one on one defender
    - Mitch Brown is experienced in playing zone defence, and in complex systems like we use
    He is a competent one on one defender but does he play well in a team defence? The Eagles just used him as a forward/ruck this year, he was woeful in the game against us.

I would rather go short with a 188cm team defence type than play a tall who gets lost in our style i.e Talia.

Post Thanks / Like

Would rather play Collins all year than Brown.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

4. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    He is a competent one on one defender but does he play well in a team defence? The Eagles just used him as a forward/ruck this year, he was woeful in the game against us.

I would rather go short with a 188cm team defence type than play a tall who gets lost in our style i.e Talia.
    He was played out of position against us by a WCE match committee too cute by half. They thought McG, Barass & Hurn would cover the back and Brown could stretch us down back with Giles, Lycett, Darling & Kennedy. Arguably McGovern was worse on the night and also ended up rucking and playing third string forward. Eric McKenzie had the nod for the spot they were battling for most of the year. I'm not sure he's not competent in a modern system defence. But if he's not good enough to hold a place in our side then we bviously pass and we go smaller. But if we lose two key defenders we have no real depth if we get one or two injuries next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Fletch, Collins, Cordy and if the shit hits the fan Cloke and Roughie. There's enough to get through the year and reload if it doesn't work out next week. Even if Adams goes as well we have been in worse positions with our key defensive stocks. At one point we had Brian Lake and that was it.

FWIW I think Adams will stay the extra year now, that is if we don't bring someone in next week.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Has there been any interest in him as a free agent from any club at all?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I'd rather play Bailey Dale as a key defender than recruit either Brown.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

9. Likes Sedat, Dry Rot, bornadog, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Recruiting a washed up Brown brother or Lonergan doesn't strike me as a Bevo move.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    To be honest I'd rather play Bailey Dale as a key defender than recruit either Brown.
    I'll raise you Caleb Daniel as a key defender ahead of Mitch Brown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Has there been any interest in him as a free agent from any club at all?
    Yep. Apparently been interviewed by a few clubs with WCE stating he will be in Victoria this year. St Kilda were after him at his last contract expiration, and may be front runners.

Post Thanks / Like

Not against taking Brown actually - Beveridge has a very good record at taking people who are not rated that highly and turning them into more than decent defenders within his team-defence system. Wouldn't want to pay overs for him of course but he's had moments of significant promise during his career.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    Not against taking Brown actually - Beveridge has a very good record at taking people who are not rated that highly and turning them into more than decent defenders within his team-defence system. Wouldn't want to pay overs for him of course but he's had moments of significant promise during his career.
    That's certainly the counter argument. Not a big contract at all, but he's much better than a state league player that might get suggested as a strategy for depth in the KPD department if we trade Adams out and don't find a better long term solution.

15. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. Apparently been interviewed by a few clubs with WCE stating he will be in Victoria this year. St Kilda were after him at his last contract expiration, and may be front runners.
    I have no issues with using him as cover, but not as anything else and I don't want to pay him squat.

If other clubs are into him that pretty much rules us out.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

No. Brown is unlike Adams and Hamling in that he doesn't have anything else to his game other than being a limited stopper.

Hamling is a versatile size meaning he can play on a variety of opponents, and has shown an ability to take intercept marks.

Adams is a very mobile key defender who can also take intercept marks very well.

Maybe Adams leaving means that we start orrying about forwards monstering us again, however Roberts was good this season and Colins is surely a fairly close physical match for Brown with the benefit of scope for improvement in other areas and fresh knees.

Surely there is another key defender out there.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen nothing from Mitch Brown to suggest he has a future in the game as a flexible key defender in a zone structure. No thanks from me.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"