Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  54
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs savage AFL over alleged Talia leak

I think part of the tragedy in all this is Harvey Stevens missed out on a bulldog premiership because his grandsons looked him in the eyes and lied to him. He (naturally) took the side of family and not the club. While I understand that family come first and you dont want to face up to the fact that you have helped raise two lying, cheating and ungrateful grandchildren who happily stood by and watched (even more they actually participated in) the fracturing of something that must have meant so much to Harvey through the years. How does he feel when the full story comes out and he realizes that he could have been a huge part of the greatest year in the clubs history but missed out because he has particularly ungrateful and dishonest grandsons?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly Harvey Stevens was discharged from Knox Private Hospital this morning with terminal cancer. What a thrill it was for the AFL to invite Harvey and his wife together with 5 remaining members of our 1954 Premiership team and their wives to the 'G' for our second flag.

3. Thanks N/A, bornadog, ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    This is classic AFL, hold a mock investigation/tribunal and announce findings that suit their own interests. Their biggest problem is the public is more savvy than they give them credit for, and some of their convenient findings are so transparently amateur that they're laughable.

Yet there's still people out there (Slobbo front and centre) that want to accept the findings of the AFL tribunal that Essendon didn't dope, and call CAS (and now the Swiss Federal Court) kangaroo courts. You'd be hard placed to find an organisation in the Western World with less intergrity than the AFL, yet when an outcome suits their agenda some people are all too willing to accept their findings.

The playbook for any AFL investigation;

1) Determine the outcome that best protects the AFL brand

2) Look for evidence to support that outcome

3) Ignore any evidence that might prove contrary to the outcome you want

4) If no evidence exists to support your outcome, claim the information is private and cannot be released

5) Hold a press conference to announce you've investigated the issue fully and there's nothing to see

6) Punish an arms length scapegoat to show you took the matter seriously, but again reassure the public that even though you're punishing said scapegoat, no one did anything wrong.

7) When questioned about the laughable findings, fake outrage that your integrity is being questions, then secretly threaten anyone who continues to challenge the findings.
    8) Rinse and repeat

What a brilliant summation of the AFL modus operandi 'stache. You could apply every single issue and faux-investigation in the last 10 years and follow the exact steps to the letter.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

5. Likes WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    8) Rinse and repeat

What a brilliant summation of the AFL modus operandi 'stache. You could apply every single issue and faux-investigation in the last 10 years and follow the exact steps to the letter.
    9. Offer help, access and support to, or leak directly to any accredited journos who attack the threat to the brand. Have them attack the club, the president and coach to discredit them and embarrass them and the position they hold in presenting a threat to the brand. Hope that the general public lap up the public attacks and believe the dross their fed.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the leak come from us?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Sadly Harvey Stevens was discharged from Knox Private Hospital this morning with terminal cancer. What a thrill it was for the AFL to invite Harvey and his wife together with 5 remaining members of our 1954 Premiership team and their wives to the 'G' for our second flag.
    Great to hear he was involved, sorry to hear the great man has cancer.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    This is classic AFL, hold a mock investigation/tribunal and announce findings that suit their own interests. Their biggest problem is the public is more savvy than they give them credit for, and some of their convenient findings are so transparently amateur that they're laughable.

Yet there's still people out there (Slobbo front and centre) that want to accept the findings of the AFL tribunal that Essendon didn't dope, and call CAS (and now the Swiss Federal Court) kangaroo courts. You'd be hard placed to find an organisation in the Western World with less intergrity than the AFL, yet when an outcome suits their agenda some people are all too willing to accept their findings.

The playbook for any AFL investigation;

1) Determine the outcome that best protects the AFL brand

2) Look for evidence to support that outcome

3) Ignore any evidence that might prove contrary to the outcome you want

4) If no evidence exists to support your outcome, claim the information is private and cannot be released

5) Hold a press conference to announce you've investigated the issue fully and there's nothing to see

6) Punish an arms length scapegoat to show you took the matter seriously, but again reassure the public that even though you're punishing said scapegoat, no one did anything wrong.

7) When questioned about the laughable findings, fake outrage that your integrity is being questions, then secretly threaten anyone who continues to challenge the findings.
    AFEL's response to released documents:

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    AFEL's response to released documents:

I've got no freaking idea what that statement even means. It's a template response straight outta Canberra
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Also on the point of protecting the AFL brand, I would have liked to see the results of the AFL investigation into the alleged AFL tipping off of Essendon, prior to the whole drugs saga.

It appears that the idea of the AFL investigating the AFL seems to be not much better than that of any mid eighties NSW Police enquiries into the NSW Police.
    Last edited by Jeanette54; 17-10-2016 at 05:20 PM.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

14. Likes The Doctor, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Also on the point of protecting the AFL brand, I would have liked to see the results of the AFL investigation into the alleged AFL tipping off of Essendon, prior to the whole drugs saga.

It appears that the idea of the AFL investigating the AFL seems to be not much better than that of any mid eighties NSW Police enquiries into the NSW Police.
    What about the allegations Whitfield dodged the drug test? Haven't heard a peep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What about the allegations Whitfield dodged the drug test? Haven't heard a peep.
    That will be buried, perhaps released on Xmas Eve. But the outcome was decided months ago, of course.

Just imagine if, instead of our victory against GWS, Whitfield had kicked the sealer and then they won the flag.

Talk about tainted.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Did the leak come from us?
    I wonder that myself.

Mick Warner certainly isn't afraid to kick against the wind with the AFEL. Maybe he actually is Mick Foly aka Mankind...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

This certainly should not surprised anyone about the organisation of the AFL.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    This certainly should not surprised anyone about the organisation of the AFL.
    Or the Dis-Organisation of the AFEL Easty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I wonder that myself.

Mick Warner certainly isn't afraid to kick against the wind with the AFEL. Maybe he actually is Mick Foly aka Mankind...
    Mad respect for Mick Warner. I really hope his career is allowed to prosper.