Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  38
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Travis Cloke - What role will he play in our team?

With the acquisition of Schache, I'm now even happier about having Trav around. JMac talked about Trengove having great leadership which is important. Similarly between Shaq & Trav. Shaq sees himself best playing the the role that Trav has played for over a decade. That is, a huge big left footed player, using elite endurance and work rate to get up the ground, present and then work hard back to open himself up as a target inside 50. Trav understands forward craft, including leading and body work. Additionally, Trav understands the head space of not feeling right at a club and then moving forward at a new club.

Hopefully, they're paired up ASAP. For what Shaq (and the club) want to do, I can't think of anyone better suited to actually impart the knowledge and experience than Trav.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes ratsmac, boydogs, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Shaq a left footer? I didn't know that, I love the molly dookers!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Harsh but probably a good move by the club, thanks for your efforts Trav. If he's being paid anyway maybe he can still hang around and tutor our young key forwards?

For those that can't get past the paywall:

Travis Cloke set to announce retirement from AFL

TRAVIS CLOKE seems destined to retire in coming days after being painted a bleak picture of his senior prospects next year.

The Herald Sun understands Cloke is taking several days to consider his future before the club’s next list lodgement deadline.

Cloke would be paid out next year on the final year of a modest two-season deal.

But with Tom Campbell not being offered a new home during the trade period, Cloke is behind Tom Boyd, Jack Redpath and new recruit Josh Schache.

Cloke has been one of the AFL’s best contested marking players over the years but, as a poor set-shot kick, he has also been a maligned player.

Cloke is understood to be leaning toward retiring, given he would almost certainly be playing VFL football all year.

The former Pies premiership player battled mental health issues but returned to football this season.

Cloke, 30, booted 452 goals from 256 matches but often struggled for accuracy.

The big man fell out of favour with Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley in 2016 and was dropped for Anzac Day.

He was traded to the Western Bulldogs last October, but his struggles continued.

Cloke managed 10 games for the Dogs, kicking 11.9.

Bulldog forwards Mitch Honeychurch and Stewart Crameri are without contracts with their futures in limbo, but Cloke’s departure could win a reprieve for at least one of them.

6. Thanks bulldogtragic, Templeton31, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Stevens‏ @Stevo7AFL 6m6 minutes ago
    More
    It is over for Cloke, written statement coming. A realist, limited opportunity .. still had fire but finishing up

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing Crameri gets a deal now. Not upset by this, in hindsight a bad move and this frees up a list spot in 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Mark Stevens‏ @Stevo7AFL 6m6 minutes ago
    More
    It is over for Cloke, written statement coming. A realist, limited opportunity .. still had fire but finishing up
    Well, if we are paying him then I'd like him to mentor Schache as per my thoughts above. We must think Schache is a good chance of playing a fir bit of senior footy next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I'm guessing Crameri gets a deal now. Not upset by this, in hindsight a bad move and this frees up a list spot in 2018.

according to Twitter he's gone as well. the Cloke decision doesn't change anything

Post Thanks / Like

Phew! Best outcome for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giansiraccuser View Post
    Phew! Best outcome for everyone.
    Tend to agree.
    Thanks for being a realist Clokey, and all the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Prefer Cloke to Redpath.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Prefer Cloke to Redpath.
    Can’t see Redpath getting too many games.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's official:

Cloke calls time on career

Western Bulldogs forward Travis Cloke has announced his retirement after 13 seasons at the highest level.

Cloke, who spent 12 seasons at Collingwood before switching to the Bulldogs at the end of the 2016 season, finished with 256 games and 452 goals to his credit.

He won a Collingwood Best and Fairest in 2007, played in the Magpies’ 2010 premiership and was twice an All-Australian.

“The list management committee has had a number of discussions since the completion of the free agency and trade period about the profile of our playing list for the 2018 season,” said Bulldogs’ List Manager Jason McCartney.

“We had a discussion with Travis and his management about the opportunities for him to play senior football in 2018, based on the make-up of the list and the players we have brought into the football club since the end of the season.

“A mutual decision was made based on those discussions, that Travis would retire from the game.

“We’d like to congratulate Travis on an outstanding career, for his contribution to the Western Bulldogs in 2017, and wish him and his family the best for the future.”

Cloke played 10 games in 2017 for the Bulldogs, and kicked 11 goals.

“It’s important to acknowledge the career Travis has had in the game. To finish as a premiership player and notch over 250 games is a fantastic career, and he should be very proud of everything he has achieved,” said Bulldogs’ Director of Football, Chris Grant.

“We thoroughly enjoyed having him at the Club in the last 12 months, and we wish him well."

Cloke said: “The fire was still there to play on, but I appreciate the Club being honest about my prospects of playing senior football next year.”

16. Thanks bulldogtragic, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So Cloke is a delisted free agent? Fire in the belly still. Fremantle?

18. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    according to Twitter he's gone as well. the Cloke decision doesn't change anything
    Yep, read that not long after I posted it T&T. Maybe a DFA? (Not Dylan Addison BTW)