Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    It's not about systems, it's about having other Indigenous players at the club they can connect with
    I guess thats more along the lines of what i was implying. A system is not a mate. Also in terms of Liam Ryan specifically, its not about draughting him because he isnt talented enough. Its more to do with if we are the best fit. If you look at it. Mostnof the young indigenous boys get ONE crack at it. After that she is curtains. I think you owe it to the kid to give him the best chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    I guess thats more along the lines of what i was implying. A system is not a mate. Also in terms of Liam Ryan specifically, its not about draughting him because he isnt talented enough. Its more to do with if we are the best fit. If you look at it. Mostnof the young indigenous boys get ONE crack at it. After that she is curtains. I think you owe it to the kid to give him the best chance.
    OK, that makes a lot more sense.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    It's not about systems, it's about having other Indigenous players at the club they can connect with
    I think this is part of it, but you also have to start somewhere - Hawthorn was known to be a very unfriendly environment (to put it mildly) for Indigenous players until Chance Bateman came to the club, and he and some other people started doing the necessary work to transform things. Now they are one of the leaders in terms of supporting Indigenous players. And clearly they've benefited immensely from this - for mine, Burgoyne was their most important player during their 3-peat (he continues to be the player they turn to when a game needs to be won late in the final quarter).

Likewise Essendon didn't have a DNA for supporting Indigenous players until the early 1990s. These things take time, but are also vital.

We certainly haven't had a great record of late, but it's very necessary for the club to keep trying and to continue educating (non-Indigenous) staff and players, as well as continuing to learn how to best support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders who we recruit to play for us.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

All of our indigenous players were pretty much rubbish though.

Hill and Harbrow the exceptions and they didnt seem to have any problems here.

Not all indigenous players need extra help

5. Likes 1eyedog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    He has two kids and regularly misses training, appointments, and by all accounts was a no show for the Port Adelaide interview at the WA state combine.

I would have thought a guy with two kids and commitment issues is the last type of player we'd consider, unless we're after another two second rounders from Essendon in a couple of years.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes 1eyedog, Dry Rot, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He has two kids and regularly misses training, appointments, and by all accounts was a no show for the Port Adelaide interview at the WA state combine.

I would have thought a guy with two kids and commitment issues is the last type of player we'd consider, unless we're after another two second rounders from Essendon in a couple of years.
    Yep. The whole happy family thing is a bit twee I thought. Those circumstances tend to change overnight.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan is very talented but is fitness an issue ?
    https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...-ryan.1161775/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    All of our indigenous players were pretty much rubbish though.

Hill and Harbrow the exceptions and they didnt seem to have any problems here.

Not all indigenous players need extra help
    I don't agree that players like Skinner and Lynch were rubbish. They didn't acquit themselves well enough because of factors other than ability. Maybe the club did everything they could for these guys and they were just never going to adapt, but the percentages say other clubs do it better than us.

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I don't agree that players like Skinner and Lynch were rubbish. They didn't acquit themselves well enough because of factors other than ability. Maybe the club did everything they could for these guys and they were just never going to adapt, but the percentages say other clubs do it better than us.

I can still remember Skinners first touch in AFL. The ball is bouncing around at ankle height between him and three Swans defenders. Skinner picked it up with one hand, stepped backwards out of the pack and then just caressed the ball off his boot straight through the goals from 50. And it all happened in that slow motion effect you get in car accidents. It was magnificent,

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Skinner was definitely an exception but also from an extremely remote area.

There was a good interview with him a few years ago where he still regrets leaving but said he had to go back home

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Skinner was definitely an exception but also from an extremely remote area.

There was a good interview with him a few years ago where he still regrets leaving but said he had to go back home
    Yeah. WHats done is done but that kid had some unbelievable talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Story here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Story here

I can see his point. My family have lived in Footscray for four generation and I am never happy unless the volcanic basalt that the western suburbs is built on is under my feet. If I go over the Maribyrnong I pine until I get back to this side of it. It must only be a factor of a thousand for a guy like Zeph.

As an observation I think his family are being a bit unfair on him, if they want an AFL career then they can put up with living in Melbourne and the daily toil that makes the couple of hours of magic happen each week. Walk a mile in the guys shoes then criticise him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I can still remember Skinners first touch in AFL. The ball is bouncing around at ankle height between him and three Swans defenders. Skinner picked it up with one hand, stepped backwards out of the pack and then just caressed the ball off his boot straight through the goals from 50. And it all happened in that slow motion effect you get in car accidents. It was magnificent,
    Must have been in the pre season comp? Skinner never kicked a goal against the Swans.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Must have been in the pre season comp? Skinner never kicked a goal against the Swans.

May have been a preseason game. I was watching on TV. It was an interstate game on Foxtel because I'm at my mates house because I don't have Foxtel and I think we are in "thank god footy is back mode!" We are kicking to the right of the screen. Maybe it's west coast? First thing I think when Zeph goes to pick it up is "two hands for beginners" and all off a sudden he's got it in two hands and he's bought himself 5 metres of space to play with. One of the defenders realises what is happening and falls over and Zeph goes bang. TBH the opposition is pretty peripheral in my memory, it's just Zeph and some crash test dummies.

20. Likes Topdog liked this post