Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

This is where I say it is unbelievable to compare Liam Ryan and what he has been able to do with Zeph Skinner and what he was able to do.

They aren't in the same ball park in terms of proven ability to deliver on the field. They aren't playing the same SPORT.

Questioning Ryan's fitness base etc - sure, fine. But he has not been in an AFL system yet.

On the rest of the recent posts, an outcome of a recent sitdown between a lot (all) of the recent aboriginal retirees was the request for an ALO at every AFL club - I believe only West Coast and Port have them today...whether it has legs or not only time will tell but it makes nothing but sense to me...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Topdog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    This is where I say it is unbelievable to compare Liam Ryan and what he has been able to do with Zeph Skinner and what he was able to do.

They aren't in the same ball park in terms of proven ability to deliver on the field. They aren't playing the same SPORT.

Questioning Ryan's fitness base etc - sure, fine. But he has not been in an AFL system yet.

On the rest of the recent posts, an outcome of a recent sitdown between a lot (all) of the recent aboriginal retirees was the request for an ALO at every AFL club - I believe only West Coast and Port have them today...whether it has legs or not only time will tell but it makes nothing but sense to me...
    To be fair I don't know that people are necessarily comparing the two. I may be forgetting a post where that was the case but as I see it the Skinner talk seems to be more about the club's ability to develop and retain indigenous players in general.

4. Thanks The Adelaide Connection thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Changing topic slightly, what are peoples thoughts on Aaron Naughton from Peel. MJP?

I'm trying to guess what Dalrymple might pick for our top selections, and the common theme I believe is they have to show potential growth, or have shown that recently.

Looking at the top draft choices, Naughton springs to mind because he is the youngest, not yet 18, he's an intercept marker, tall defender (194cm), likes to run off and break lines, has a booming left foot and can kick on the right as well, good vision at spotting targets up field, played 7 senior games for Peel and didn't look out of place against AFL players, averages 7 marks a game.

This sounds like a Dalrymple special to me, and with a lack of quality tall marking players, and losing Murphy/Boyd, there is a void to fill for this sort.
    The main thing against him is he's a West Aussie. Apart from the specimen we haven't picked many up in recent years.

Anyone seen much of him and do you think he's an option for us?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Changing topic slightly, what are peoples thoughts on Aaron Naughton from Peel. MJP?

I'm trying to guess what Dalrymple might pick for our top selections, and the common theme I believe is they have to show potential growth, or have shown that recently.

Looking at the top draft choices, Naughton springs to mind because he is the youngest, not yet 18, he's an intercept marker, tall defender (194cm), likes to run off and break lines, has a booming left foot and can kick on the right as well, good vision at spotting targets up field, played 7 senior games for Peel and didn't look out of place against AFL players, averages 7 marks a game.

This sounds like a Dalrymple special to me, and with a lack of quality tall marking players, and losing Murphy/Boyd, there is a void to fill for this sort.
    The main thing against him is he's a West Aussie. Apart from the specimen we haven't picked many up in recent years.

Anyone seen much of him and do you think he's an option for us?
    I think unless he is clearly the best available, he doesn't fit our list composition.
    With Cordy, Adams, Trengove, Collins and Roberts, plus Morris, as key defenders I think there are other areas of need.

It looks like there will be more athletic running players with good skills available, and these should be our priority, especially at 9. He won't make it to 16, but if did we should consider him there as best available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I think unless he is clearly the best available, he doesn't fit our list composition.
    With Cordy, Adams, Trengove, Collins and Roberts, plus Morris, as key defenders I think there are other areas of need.

It looks like there will be more athletic running players with good skills available, and these should be our priority, especially at 9. He won't make it to 16, but if did we should consider him there as best available.
    Agree with this and I have stated numerous times we have a burning desire for pace and skill, so I would be disappointed if these weaknesses were overlooked.

Having said that, although the profile of our list reads tall, how many are good? Cordy is a second/third defender and a good one, Adams is very good but injury prone and Trengove should be solid. The rest are almost not worth considering - Roberts is depth at best and was overlooked for a raw Lewis Young, Collins is slow and injury prone and Morris is gone after 2018.

Despite the above, I do hope we overlook Naughton because we have major ball movement/pace issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what plans are for young. But he looked good in defence. He's a big kid. I'm with a few others. I think we need some zip for the forward line and wing. Good users and fast.