Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks, It's a bit better than I expected. I think we have been very clear with Crameri that we want to evaluate our position and I think we will come back to him once it becomes clearer who might be interested in joining us.

I do think we should offer Crameri a contract providing he genuinely wants to get stuck in for next season,
    I'm sticking with my theory that all of this stuff is about getting him to the rookie draft. Rookies can play from round one next year, and the wages wouldn't be a big difference than we'd probably offer on a main list contract (of which he can add to his lawsuit losses).

Not contracting him at all will involve some soul searching about the deal we made at the time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't insult him by offering him a rookie list spot. We either need to be 100% in or 100% out with Crameri.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we could
    Change his name to something else if we can't. Cheaterofthesalrycap or something shorter perhaps.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't insult him by offering him a rookie list spot. We either need to be 100% in or 100% out with Crameri.
    Depends on perspective. If he's on board with this strategy (lots of if's) then it's fine. If we can scare off 8 clubs with his body breaking down, his degenerative hip problem which surgery hadn't fixed, the couple of soft tissue injuries he did on the track, his twisted small toe on his kicking foot, the splint ends discovered at his last hair cut; then we can put/place him on the RL play him from round one. That's 100% in, but in through a creative use of the rookie list with an older player, with horrific injuries that we just want to look after with a rookie spot for all that Essendon did to him.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 30-08-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it an application and poor attitude with Crameri? Or are we concerned with his body holding up. I am quite puzzled why we haven't offered him one considering our forward line woes.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Depends on perspective. If he's on board with this strategy (lots of if's) then it's fine. If we can scare off 8 clubs with his body breaking down, his degenerative hip problem which surgery hadn't fixed, the couple of soft tissue injuries he did on the track, his twisted small toe on his kicking foot, the splint ends discovered at his last hair cut; then we can put place him on the RL play him from round one. That's 100% in, but in through a creative use of the rookie list with an older player, with horrific injuries that we just want to look after with a rookie spot for all that Essendon to him.
    At his age and likely financial commitments is it reasonable to expect that he would (if other suitors presented) be likely to accept a rookie level salary?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is it an application and poor attitude with Crameri? Or are we concerned with his body holding up. I am quite puzzled why we haven't offered him one considering our forward line woes.
    Possible that Bevo doesn't rate him? He was brought in on biggish coin by the old guard and was a non-factor in our flag. Wouldn't shock me if he viewed him as nothing more than a fourth fiddle and worth more to someone else than us.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    At his age and likely financial commitments is it reasonable to expect that he would (if other suitors presented) be likely to accept a rookie level salary?
    I'm pretty sure when they get 'elevated' or I'm assuming when they play in next year, that they get a pay rise. If there's wiggle room in a rookie contract, perhaps performance incentives too. Owing to Essendons regime and a bad hip, he's going to have to take a sizeable pay cut anyway. Harsh for him, but that's the reality we are all in. This way benefits the club, and on a handshake and understanding, if he performs well next year then he gets elevated with a good pay rise to make up for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Possible that Bevo doesn't rate him? He was brought in on biggish coin by the old guard and was a non-factor in our flag. Wouldn't shock me if he viewed him as nothing more than a fourth fiddle and worth more to someone else than us.
    Maybe, but i don't think it was a coincidence that Stringer's best season was 2015 - which was also Crameri's. They were a handful for opposition coaches to match up on, even more so when Dickson was firing.
    If its not Crameri then it needs to be someone of his ilk that we sign for 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't rate him?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

By what Crameri said in the news about his manager looking at offers doesn't sound like we are looking to keep him.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

His output in his first two seasons justified what he was paid, ironically it was his four year deal that was probably over the top and we're finding out the hard way now.

At his best Crameri was a very good B grade player, and that's not meant to be diminishing at all. I'd definitely pay $450K p.a. for a ball transition forward who would bank 30 plus goals in a heartbeat. His issue is he's now been out of the game for two years, and has some off field concerns.

The game moved very quickly from last year to this year, and quickly the year prior. Two years out for a guy in his late twenties at this time is extremely problematic for the club.

Bevo is also on record as suggesting the club is talking to Crameri's management. An offer may have not been made, and this could purely be because the club believes the offer it plans to make won't be to the taste of its player's management or the player. I wouldn't make a futile offer in a negotiation either.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, he played one season under Bevo and was dropped, if my memory serves me correctly. In fact I think he might've been the first of the senior group who was dropped by him.

His hip is dodgy, he's getting long in the tooth and there might be one or two other players of his type that we're looking at. Either that or we're looking king to have a decent crack at a free agent and want to free up cap space.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I actually think Campbell shows more than Roughead. I think Roughead gets a wide birth at the club because of the good bloke/leader factor which you have to take into account but outside of the finals last year he has just been a player for mine.
    Last year he was good all season. He stopped the other ruckman consistently, this year he didnt but he had no preseason this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Last year he was good all season. He stopped the other ruckman consistently, this year he didnt but he had no preseason this year.
    Agree, some people forget easily.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Topdog liked this post