Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think that Clay Smith and Jack Redpath also need to be added to the candidates requiring a strong year.

Clay Smith needs to get through the season and play 20 plus games and Redpath needs to not put a foot wrong in his rehab program as if Cloke and Crameri perform along with the other forwards he could find himself squeezed out.
    Fair calls. With my jinx on players I didn't want to bring it up, but it's a fair call.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

As you mentioned above and referenced in another post if we put forward a strong offer to JJ you would think he'd have no hesitation in signing on again.

What happens if Stringer is unhappy with the club? Does this impact JJ decision making - I don't necessarily think it would.
    I guess my point is that if you are already happy at a place and your best mate is there then you will probably not be swayed by better financial offers. The club just needs to be pro-active and fair with the financials and I don't see it as a hard sell.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I guess my point is that if you are already happy at a place and your best mate is there then you will probably not be swayed by better financial offers. The club just needs to be pro-active and fair with the financials and I don't see it as a hard sell.
    Agree with this.

We've been caught snoozing before and given the momentum our 2016 has created, I'd hope we move quickly getting onto our key signings. Given contracts are now worth nothing, there's no real incentive for players and their managers to delay signing as they'll simply do whatever they want come end of season.

4. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Borrowed from BigFooty. Thanks to BRG93 for keeping it up-to-date.

Matthew Boyd (2017) (Re-Signed 2016)
    Clay Smith (2017) (Re-Signed 2016)
    Dale Morris (2017) (Re-Signed 2016)
    Declan Hamilton (2017) (Re-Signed 2016)
    Jack Redpath (2017) (Re-Signed 2016)
    Robert Murphy (2017) (Re-Signed 2016)
    Josh Duckley (2017) (Under 2 Year Draftee Deal)
    Kieren Collins (2017) (Under 2 Year Draftee Deal)
    Marcus Adams (2017) (Under 2 Year Draftee Deal)
    Bailey Williams (2017) (Under 2 Year Draftee Deal)
    Bailey Dale (2017) (Re-Signed 2015)
    Lukas Webb (2017) (Re-Signed 2015)
    Toby McLean (2017) (Re-Signed 2015)
    Caleb Daniel (2017) (Re-Signed 2015)
    Mitch Honeychurch (2017) (Re-Signed 2015)
    Fletcher Roberts (2017) (Re-Signed 2015)
    Liam Picken (2017) (Re-Signed 2015)
    Jason Johannisen (2017) (Re-Signed 2014)
    Stewart Crameri (2017) (Traded For in 2013)

Quite a lot of work to do!!! I was going to highlight those that I thought were most important but I had 10 highlighted so stopped
    Going through 1 by 1:

Boyd: Will almost certainly retire.
    Smith: Signed a 1 year deal to see how his knees hold up. Fair enough on club and player.
    Morris: Will retire or a further 1 year deal, fitness and form depending.
    Hamilton: Make or break year for him. Up to him to show he's worth it, not the other way around.
    Redpath: Only does 1 year deals. His call.
    Murphy: Form and fitness by years end.
    Dunkley: Must retain.
    Collins: Watch how he develops but I'd be inclined to sign him up for a further 2 to let him develop.
    Adams: Will most likely ask for a trade West.
    Williams: Must re-sign
    Dale: Watch his development. Might attract some trade interest.
    Webb: Might attract some interest. Rate him highly.
    McLean: CANNOT afford to let him remain uncontracted at seasons end. Need to secure him.
    Daniel: As above.
    Honeychurch: Some work to do to retain his spot.
    Roberts: With Adams likely gone by years end he's got an opportunity to prove his worth.
    Picken: Would be stunned if he walks but there'll be interest aplenty.
    JJ: Priority number 1 is getting him signed up for at least 3 years.
    Crameri: Will be interesting to see how he returns. With Cloke at the club now he's more important than ever for our structure.

Its a long list but it ain't as bad as it looks.

6. Thanks josie, azabob, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good summary Westdog54 - Dale IMO is a must sign as well and I have a feeling Adams will remain beyond 2017.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Dale is a funny one. Has plenty of talent, good skills and good decision making but does he get enough of the ball to be effective?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Dale is a funny one. Has plenty of talent, good skills and good decision making but does he get enough of the ball to be effective?
    He does at the lower level, I think once he gets stronger and fitter he should get more of the ball.

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He does at the lower level, I think once he gets stronger and fitter he should get more of the ball.
    I tend to agree. His work in September was pretty good. At the top level this year he had limited exposure to high disposal roles. I think it was the Adelaide narrow win, that he had a hand somewhere in the chain of the last three goals with smart, clever, clean use of the footy. His challenge along with 20 others is that we bat just do bloody deep right now. He may also find a role at high half back a bit more next year too. I like the kid a lot, and I'd extend him to 2019 no dramas. And really what's a contract anyway...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I tend to agree. His work in September was pretty good. At the top level this year he had limited exposure to high disposal roles. I think it was the Adelaide narrow win, that he had a hand somewhere in the chain of the last three goals with smart, clever, clean use of the footy. His challenge along with 20 others is that we bat just do bloody deep right now. He may also find a role at high half back a bit more next year too. I like the kid a lot, and I'd extend him to 2019 no dramas. And really what's a contract anyway...
    Agree with all that. He also has long limbs which sounds odd but is suited to bulldogs football.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all that. He also has long limbs which sounds odd but is suited to bulldogs football.
    I think he's a forward. He's kicked bags at Footscray, plays taller than he is and finishes well. I could see him ending up in a similiar role to Dickson, but playing in a different style

15. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re Dale, I have watched him in a number of VFL games this year and my criticism of him is the difference between his best and worst games - he needs to lessen the difference over the next 12 months. His 'best' is very good and he is worth persevering with if he can play to a more consistent level in 2017.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

17. Thanks azabob, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We certainly need to see Dale more in the AFL to start seeing how he'll go at the top level. I think Adams now with the loss of Hamling becomes important as well as Fletch. Hope for a good 2017 again from MBoydy, Morris and also a good one from Bob.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

He'll get more of it as he develops although out of all of that draft class who has played senior football he looks the least likely. He's a nice player but his size and his lack of contested work means that his best football will be in a very good side.

Do we seem him as purely a medium forward?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He'll get more of it as he develops although out of all of that draft class who has played senior football he looks the least likely. He's a nice player but his size and his lack of contested work means that his best football will be in a very good side.

Do we seem him as purely a medium forward?
    Have heard Bevo talk about a believed capacity to play down back as well.

21. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    We certainly need to see Dale more in the AFL to start seeing how he'll go at the top level. I think Adams now with the loss of Hamling becomes important as well as Fletch. Hope for a good 2017 again from MBoydy, Morris and also a good one from Bob.
    And Collins as well.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"