Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Ridiculous decision to keep Honeychurch.

We don't learn (Hamilton and Prudden etc.)
    Gee just a bit melodramatic there. Every club has made list management errors , he’s lucky for mine

Post Thanks / Like

Assumed there was someone we wanted to take at pick 82 leaving Rourke to be elevated at pick 100 odd.

Surprised we're going with Honeychurch over Crameri but not too surprised given the way Bevo spoke about him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Off the top of my head without considering contract status:

Honey
    Redders
    Webb
    Roughy
    Greene
    Morris
    Biggsy
    Dickson
    Suckers
    Campbell
    C Smith
    Roberts
    Collins
    Jong
    Libba (if he relapses)

Lynch
    R Smith
    NM-M

Of course we won't make this many changes, and some are more vulnerable than others. I expect all of the above list to improve significantly on their 2017 output if they are serious about their long term AFL careers.
    I get most of them, and its not flash that its almost half our list.

But why Biggs?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Negativity around Honeychurch is a touch harsh - wouldn’t have said he’s slow. Probably played our best stretch of footy through the middle of the year with him playing defensive forward. Gets involved and finds the footy, which is more than you can say for Webb when he’s had opportunities.

Happy with the extra year
    I've made no secret that I like to turn the list over more just about every year but I'm not unhappy about Honeychurch getting one more year especially after the season we just had. If attitude and hard work mean much to us having someone like him around the club is worth the spot.

The challenge for him is to work on his goal kicking accuracy because if he gets that right he has chance to extend his stay with us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I get most of them, and its not flash that its almost half our list.

But why Biggs?
    He's very safe but he needs to keep working on his game and getting better - there is plenty of competition for spots across half back.

When you have a season where barely anybody improved year on year, it puts pressure on a lot of players the following year. The fact that it is a long list is a positive for mine - there is so much improvement on our list that wasn't even close to being fully exploited in 2017.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Assumed there was someone we wanted to take at pick 82 leaving Rourke to be elevated at pick 100 odd.

Surprised we're going with Honeychurch over Crameri but not too surprised given the way Bevo spoke about him
    You would have to think we haven't been happy with Crameri and that's why even with Cloke's departure we went with HC.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to keep an eye on HC IN 2018, I can't see a reason for him getting an extension. I'm not privy to Crammers medical reports, surely that would have played some part in him being shown the door. On talent I'd much rather keep him over HC any day. He must know some secrets about some high ups at the Club.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I'll have to keep an eye on HC IN 2018, I can't see a reason for him getting an extension. I'm not privy to Crammers medical reports, surely that would have played some part in him being shown the door. On talent I'd much rather keep him over HC any day. He must know some secrets about some high ups at the Club.
    Agree. Crameri has never kicked less than 30 goals when he’s had a good run a it. He’s also a forward who works hard up and down the ground.
    HC has shown the ability to run around and stuff. I get the age difference but I’d take Crameri over Honey 8 days a week.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've made no secret that I like to turn the list over more just about every year but I'm not unhappy about Honeychurch getting one more year especially after the season we just had. If attitude and hard work mean much to us having someone like him around the club is worth the spot.

The challenge for him is to work on his goal kicking accuracy because if he gets that right he has chance to extend his stay with us.
    The issue with turning the list over as a rule is you discard players with three or four years work under their belts and replace them with players who have none, and are just as likely not to make it anyway.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Honeychurch the luckiest guy in footy.

I suppose if we need a swarm at the feet of Boyd & Schache & Redpath he's as likely as any so gets anorher chance.

I'm sorry but he ain't AFL standard and had we any decent crumbers who can tackle and pounce he'd be gone.

Fingers crossed he cements a niche.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

How is he not AFL standard if he’s played well at the level and has a contract to back it up?

Not everyone in the AFL is perfect.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually thought he improved a lot and was just starting to find his feet when he got sick.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

In defence of HC he did stick 10 tackles in a game last year as a pressure forward, he does at least try his heart out and doesn't drop his head.
    Perhaps a lot of our list strategy this trade period is about delivering a message to the group about professionalism and training standards?

Trengove is one of the most solid characters in the AFL, Crozier doesn't seem like a dickhead at all, Schache isn't a partier, Stringer and Crameri gone, HC rewarded.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a small forward you need the following traits:

- Defensive mindset
    - Forward craft
    - Pace
    - Skill

HC has a defensive mindset, but he lacks forward craft. He looks like a midfielder who is playing forward which is understandable, given he played his junior footy as a mid. Unfortunately he's too small to be a mid at AFL level.

Whilst the small forwards don't need to be overly aggressive/strong, they need to compensate with genuine pace. HC just isn't quick enough.

While I agree that his attitude is first class, surely we have enough hard working individuals to set high standards. Second to that, I would have been looking at replacing his spot on the list with a mature state league player (ie. Gowers).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    As a small forward you need the following traits:

- Defensive mindset
    - Forward craft
    - Pace
    - Skill

HC has a defensive mindset, but he lacks forward craft. He looks like a midfielder who is playing forward which is understandable, given he played his junior footy as a mid. Unfortunately he's too small to be a mid at AFL level.

Whilst the small forwards don't need to be overly aggressive/strong, they need to compensate with genuine pace. HC just isn't quick enough.

While I agree that his attitude is first class, surely we have enough hard working individuals to set high standards. Second to that, I would have been looking at replacing his spot on the list with a mature state league player (ie. Gowers).
    I agree with a lot of this but I'm not convinced Gowers is an upgrade on HC. We can probably find better players than HC but given we are picking from the back of the queue we don't want a situation where our targeted players are gone before our picks like how we missed on Long and Hanahan last year