Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    In defence of HC he did stick 10 tackles in a game last year as a pressure forward, he does at least try his heart out and doesn't drop his head.
    Perhaps a lot of our list strategy this trade period is about delivering a message to the group about professionalism and training standards?

Trengove is one of the most solid characters in the AFL, Crozier doesn't seem like a dickhead at all, Schache isn't a partier, Stringer and Crameri gone, HC rewarded.
    I think this makes the most sense to me, I think we could have cut deeper into the list but picking from the back end of the draft probably weakens our position and makes HC look more like a better option.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I was of the opinion that HC wasn't quite up to it, however, after chatting to a mate, I've been swayed that he's worth keeping on the list.

Reason being team balance, character and particularly the kid's forward line pressure. Although I still believe he's too slow to do any real damage in midfield, he's reasonably quick over 5-10m and is a good tackler. In the modern game and particularly with some tall forwards, he'll be a handy option as a small defensive forward.

He has the Mick McKenna, Terry Wheeler, Libba Snr pluck and desire - which not only makes them likeable as a fan, but I think rubs off on the group.

3. Likes Mofra, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    In defence of HC he did stick 10 tackles in a game last year as a pressure forward, he does at least try his heart out and doesn't drop his head.
    Perhaps a lot of our list strategy this trade period is about delivering a message to the group about professionalism and training standards?
    Don't know how to get a read on HC; some are saying things similar to this, others have him inside the worst 31 players in the comp.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes hujsh, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Don't know how to get a read on HC; some are saying things similar to this, others have him inside the worst 31 players in the comp.
    You should make up your own mind.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree with a lot of this but I'm not convinced Gowers is an upgrade on HC. We can probably find better players than HC but given we are picking from the back of the queue we don't want a situation where our targeted players are gone before our picks like how we missed on Long and Hanahan last year
    Gowers has sticky hands but is one of the most frustrating kicks I. Have. Ever. Seen. It's 'spread out this could go anywhere' time when he's shooting at goal.

I went for a check up a couple of weeks ago and my doctor said my blood pressure was ideal but I don't think it could withstand a season of me watching Billy Gowers spray the ball everywhere to go with the rest of our goalkicking efforts.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez I hope HC has a terrific season and sticks it up a lot of arses in here.

9. Likes Dry Rot, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Geez I hope HC has a terrific season and sticks it up a lot of arses in here.
    I'd gladly assume the position if Honeychurch steps up and helps make us harder to play against!

Just not sure I wanna hold my breath waiting for it.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You should make up your own mind.
    Oh I've definitely made up my mind on Honeychurch, he isn't good at AFL and I would have preferred the dart throw at 82 in the draft.

The other post might be a reference to a certain thread made by a certain poster on a certain other football forum.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Oh I've definitely made up my mind on Honeychurch, he isn't good at AFL and I would have preferred the dart throw at 82 in the draft.

The other post might be a reference to a certain thread made by a certain poster on a certain other football forum.
    Do you really think a pick 82 would be better than HC? I think we don't have much choice but to keep him. If we had a pick inside the second round, he would most likely be gone.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you really think a pick 82 would be better than HC? I think we don't have much choice but to keep him. If we had a pick inside the second round, he would most likely be gone.
    It's the known vs the unknown.. Mitch is highly unlikely to forge out a decent AFL career, what pick 82 becomes is a mystery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I understand the rationale, but if you're certain the known quantity (HC) won't make it then I don't understand why you keep them on for another year. I'd rather put 12-24 months development into another player, be it a young kid or a state league player.

On the first point, surely we should know whether HC is going to make it or not after 4 years.

Traditionally we keep players on the list too long and this is another example IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

It says to me that we at least rate Mitch good enough for depth, in a year where we think we should be having a crack.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given we've lost Stringer, Crameri, Cloke and Murphy (who played a fair bit forward last year), and we have Picken (30) and Dickson (29 with ongoing injury issues) as probably our starting deep small/mid forwards, I can't blame our list managers for seeing HC as a bit of insurance for 2018 ahead of whomever may be available at pick 82.

18. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or do others think the Bulldogs are going through a mini reset? I still think we can be competitive in 18 but all that we are doing looks for mine that we are gearing towards 19-20 and beyond when we can sustain a top 4 finish and be in the so called window again. Where do people think the list is at now we are only have few spots available?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Is it just me or do others think the Bulldogs are going through a mini reset? I still think we can be competitive in 18 but all that we are doing looks for mine that we are gearing towards 19-20 and beyond when we can sustain a top 4 finish and be in the so called window again. Where do people think the list is at now we are only have few spots available?
    There's a long list of players who underperformed in 2017, if most step up we could be top 4 but that's probably unlikely
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff