Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 242434445464748495051525354 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    I just don't think we have the right people and support networks around our club to support the young indigenous kids.
    Are you sure? I think we could be as good as any club in that area.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Are you sure? I think we could be as good as any club in that area.
    There's not much in the way of results to back that up though so as an outsider you have to wonder if there's some truth in the above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    There's not much in the way of results to back that up though so as an outsider you have to wonder if there's some truth in the above.
    You would have thought someone like Brett Goodes would have put systems into place.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I agree with the negativity. I'd back us to have the right support in place as BAD mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You would have thought someone like Brett Goodes would have put systems into place.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Systems in place don't equal results though. How many 'bad boys' or difficult personalities have we turned around?

Stringer gone this year. Issues with Libba seem to persist, as an outsider. Boyd and Cloke both taking time off for mental health issues this year (definitely also a sign of good systems and support, but not ideal that their concerns progressed to that point).

It's a while since we had a player coming from an indigenous community (not discounting those with indigenous backgrounds such as Liam Jones and Koby Stevens), so it would be interesting to 'test' these systems, but I would not be confident in our abilities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Systems in place don't equal results though. How many 'bad boys' or difficult personalities have we turned around?

Stringer gone this year. Issues with Libba seem to persist, as an outsider. Boyd and Cloke both taking time off for mental health issues this year (definitely also a sign of good systems and support, but not ideal that their concerns progressed to that point).

It's a while since we had a player coming from an indigenous community (not discounting those with indigenous backgrounds such as Liam Jones and Koby Stevens), so it would be interesting to 'test' these systems, but I would not be confident in our abilities.
    I thought we were talking about indigenous players

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought we were talking about indigenous players
    Well specifically with indigenous players in the past 10 years (off the top of my head):
    - Brennan Stack
    - Josh Hill
    - Malcolm Lynch
    - Shane Thorne
    - Liam Jones
    - Zeph Skinner
    - Koby Stevens
    - Jarrod Harbrow

Zephi and Thorne were arguably the two from the most challenging/different backgrounds and it would appear we failed to adequately support both of them. Of the others, none were successful in their careers with us. I think it's fair to ask a question, but I also wouldn't refrain from selecting an indigenous player purely based on their background.

Post Thanks / Like

We can add Cam Faulkner (9) and Djerkerra (10) in the last 10 years. Our record isn't at all good in either developing or retaining them all 10 of them. I wonder if Jarman Impey was weighing up which club supports/develops indigenous players better?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the negativity. I'd back us to have the right support in place as BAD mentioned.
    I'm not in a position to actually judge but purely on our record I can think of one indigenous player of high quality we developed and he ran off basically as soon as he came on the scene. Any others would be before my time and would really be irrelevant to the conversation.

Post Thanks / Like

Well specifically with indigenous players in the past 10 years (off the top of my head):
    - Brennan Stack
    - Josh Hill
    - Malcolm Lynch
    - Shane Thorne
    - Liam Jones
    - Zeph Skinner
    - Koby Stevens
    - Jarrod Harbrow

Zephi and Thorne were arguably the two from the most challenging/different backgrounds and it would appear we failed to adequately support both of them. Of the others, none were successful in their careers with us. I think it's fair to ask a question, but I also wouldn't refrain from selecting an indigenous player purely based on their background.
    It's a terrible record at face value but I'd like to see how our success rate compares against the rest of the league. I'd imagine we're not the only club that has had numerous indigenous players fail to kick on, we just know about the Dogs' failures because well...we're Dogs fans.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I do some volunteer work at a local Indigenous organisation. Far more than systems is needed.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

- Brennan Stack
    - Josh Hill
    - Malcolm Lynch
    - Shane Thorne
    - Liam Jones
    - Zeph Skinner
    - Koby Stevens
    - Jarrod Harbrow

It would be interesting to compare records with clubs with Indigenous culture in their DNA e.g. Eagles, Swans, Bombers and Port.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not in a position to actually judge but purely on our record I can think of one indigenous player of high quality we developed and he ran off basically as soon as he came on the scene. Any others would be before my time and would really be irrelevant to the conversation.
    Les Bamblett and Michael Maclean went alright.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

- Brennan Stack
    - Josh Hill
    - Malcolm Lynch
    - Shane Thorne
    - Liam Jones
    - Zeph Skinner
    - Koby Stevens
    - Jarrod Harbrow

The question was around the right people and support, not how good the players were. I believe we looked after both Zeph and Thorne whilst they were at the club. Thorne wasn't good enough to play AFL and Zeph just wanted to go back home. He comes from a very remote part of Australia and missed the life there. I don't believe there was any question of not being supported or having the right people at the club as Dukedog mentions.

I will agree we haven't had a lot of success with the players you mention, but they all had different reasons for leaving/delisted.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not about systems, it's about having other Indigenous players at the club they can connect with
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff