Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He's the only one who can kick straight.
    He needs to get it first.

2. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He needs to get it first.
    It's a good point you make. Maybe he's trying to preserve his high goal kicking percentage by never having another shot at goal?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we think the hangover is a genuine reason for our current plight and if we aren't confident we can get the players hungry for another tilt at the flag for 2018 then I don't think we should be making a huge effort to snare a big name unless that player is wanting to come to us for the right reasons not just because we bid the most for their services.
    I'd rather chase some lower key names like we did with Hamling and go through the draft process again. By the way, I think Kelly to the Saints is a very likely outcome.

We need to shake some things up via list management changes because I'm not sure our coaching philosophy will be effective enough in getting the players refocused. A clean out via delisting some players though might just be the tonic

If JJ is to leave then our aim should be to acquire 3 draft picks in the top 30 but I'm not sure we will do much better than a late first round pick for JJ assuming Freo is his preferred destination. We might even have to consider trading a bigger name player to further strengthen our position at the draft table.

I'd be looking at 7 to 8 changes from the primary list and a couple off the rookie list.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

This off season will be interesting.

I sincerely hope the club doesn't adopt a '2017 was an aberration' philosophy. We need to cut deep into the list and put an absolute premium on kids/players who can make good decisions and use it well.

Morris, Murph, Boyd, Prudden, Hamilton, Honeychurch retired/delisted.

Trade JJ (seems a given).

I'd bet on Webb being traded too given we refuse to play him - should be half back IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We might even have to consider trading a bigger name player to further strengthen our position at the trade table.
    I don't disagree - who would you consider?

Kelly would be nice but agree we probably need to just go back to the draft and find some cheaper hidden gems.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good time to hit the draft given we have Dal so we are very well armed to take a good shot.

They say it's not a very good draft but it seems like they say that most years,

Post Thanks / Like

The way JJ is playing we will be lucky if we get a first round pick for him. Stringer looks like he has no interest in being at the club, maybe he should be the big name traded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

I sincerely hope the club doesn't adopt a '2017 was an aberration' philosophy. We need to cut deep into the list and put an absolute premium on kids/players who can make good decisions and use it well.

I'd bet on Webb being traded too given we refuse to play him - should be half back IMO.
    I tend to agree but my view is that we also didn't cut deep enough for the right players and lost a bit of midfield experience without adding back. That has come to bite us.

Prior to the trade and draft period we rated our list highly because we had won both the AFL and VFL flags but we lost Hamling, Hrovat and Stevens via trades, delisted Minson and we had a question mark on Adams. We also weren't certain when Redpath and Wallis would return. This left us with a much shallower list to start the season with. On the plus side we added Cloke and we had high hopes Crameri would be cherry ripe which was a more than reasonable assumption.
    We drafted some good players but none of them would have been regarded as ready made types that would have strengthened the senior side in 2017.
    Overall though with our playing list we started 2017 in a weaker position than we ended 2016 with which coupled with injuries left us constantly hoping the injured players would return to give us a lift just about every week.

At the end of this year we need to make a critical assessment on if we are confident we have the right players that can turn it around quickly or if we need to take a slightly longer term view and that is what should shape our approach.

There are some obvious delistings but if we don't think there is a quick bounce then we need to be prepared to push it a bit further.

I wonder how we rate this years draft which will also be another critical assessment to make?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree - who would you consider?

Kelly would be nice but agree we probably need to just go back to the draft and find some cheaper hidden gems.
    I don't really have a player in mind but I would expect the club to be open to offers if we believe players don't have the hunger to go hard at it again. It's a delicate position because you wouldn't want it to be like what happened with Hawthorn.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I would do as well, however, that is only 5 from the senior list (Prudden a rookie). My gut is that JJ will stay, and Webb will be asking for a transfer.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This is what I would do as well, however, that is only 5 from the senior list (Prudden a rookie). My gut is that JJ will stay, and Webb will be asking for a transfer.
    I think Campbell might ask for a trade too. I think he will get it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As of right now, I'd make the following changes:-

Murphy, Boyd, Morris, Cloke, Prudden, Hamilton to retire or be delisted.

JJ potential to leave.

Consider trades for Honeychurch, Webb (HC could be a potential drop to the RL or delist if no trade as I don't mind him for depth, and Webb I'd prefer to keep but in sticking with the rumours in this thread have included him...).

Looks like we may end up with a top 10 pick and have some salary for a FA splash, along with something in the vicinity of 6-8 senior list changes. That's a significant change but won't disrupt the core of the playing group too much and should allow us to reset with a couple of quality inclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think Campbell might ask for a trade too. I think he will get it.
    That all depends if he stays our number one ruck for the remainder of the season.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    As of right now, I'd make the following changes:-

Murphy, Boyd, Morris, Cloke, Prudden, Hamilton to retire or be delisted.

JJ potential to leave.

Consider trades for Honeychurch, Webb (HC could be a potential drop to the RL or delist if no trade as I don't mind him for depth, and Webb I'd prefer to keep but in sticking with the rumours in this thread have included him...).

Looks like we may end up with a top 10 pick and have some salary for a FA splash, along with something in the vicinity of 6-8 senior list changes. That's a significant change but won't disrupt the core of the playing group too much and should allow us to reset with a couple of quality inclusions.
    Didn't Cloke sign on for 2 years?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I tend to agree but my view is that we also didn't cut deep enough for the right players and lost a bit of midfield experience without adding back. That has come to bite us.

Prior to the trade and draft period we rated our list highly because we had won both the AFL and VFL flags but we lost Hamling, Hrovat and Stevens via trades, delisted Minson and we had a question mark on Adams. We also weren't certain when Redpath and Wallis would return. This left us with a much shallower list to start the season with. On the plus side we added Cloke and we had high hopes Crameri would be cherry ripe which was a more than reasonable assumption.
    We drafted some good players but none of them would have been regarded as ready made types that would have strengthened the senior side in 2017.
    Overall though with our playing list we started 2017 in a weaker position than we ended 2016 with which coupled with injuries left us constantly hoping the injured players would return to give us a lift just about every week.

At the end of this year we need to make a critical assessment on if we are confident we have the right players that can turn it around quickly or if we need to take a slightly longer term view and that is what should shape our approach.

There are some obvious delistings but if we don't think there is a quick bounce then we need to be prepared to push it a bit further.

I wonder how we rate this years draft which will also be another critical assessment to make?
    Do you think we might have gambled that at least one of the draftees would come into the senior side this year? Last year we had Dunkley and the year before we had Daniel walk into the side and Cordy has played some good games. Maybe they were banking on the development to get another first year draftee taking a spot in the team?