Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

www.footyalmanac.com.au - Grand Final 2016 – Sydney v Western Bulldogs: Bullydogs reign supreme

Guys,

It's slow news week again. Not much to read on the Internet, so I did some google about footyalmanac, which was mentioned in the other thread and came across this GF review "Grand Final 2016 – Sydney v Western Bulldogs: Bullydogs reign supreme"

I haven't seen it posted on Woof and I thought you guys would have plenty of spare time to read this in a slow news week anyway

October 4, 2016 by Malcolm Rulebook Ashwood 70 Comments
    SYDvWBD

Western Bulldogs 13-11-89 def Sydney 10-7-67

WB Goals: L Picken, T Dickson, T Boyd 3, C Smith, J Stringer, Z Cordy, T McLean
    Sydney: J Kennedy 3, T Mitchell 2, G Hewett, G Rohan, L Parker, N Smith, L Franklin

I wish to raise a few points and invite your response from the GF;
    1 Is the Western Bulldogs flag the greatest of all time re the number of injuries they suffered and where they have come from in general of nearly being forced to amalgamate and even less than two years ago having Griffen quit and coach depart? An extension of that is this re Luke Beveridge the greatest coaching achievement of all time ?

2 IMO there was more 1 per centers and just desperate acts continue for the whole game, it was frenetic and never opened up. Yes there have been other grand finals like the Collingwood v St Kilda draw, the Sydney v West Coast classic battles but for mine this was unique re the tackling and kamikaze acts which continued from start to finish your thoughts?

3 The stories of so many dogs such as Joel Hamling delisted by the Cats picked up as a unrestricted free agent and arguably the player of the finals series re his defensive efforts on Josh Kennedy ( West Coast), Jack Gunston, he destroyed Jeremy Cameron in the prelim and then yes while Buddy was restricted by his ankle injury, Hamling still did a fantastic job. Liam Picken how the pies must rue not picking him up as a father-son, Caleb Daniel, clubs scared off by his lack of size again showed how vital footy smarts are. Jason Johannisen as a rookie, Shane Biggs from the Swans, Fletcher Roberts from the Cats, Josh Dunkley where the Swans opted not to choose him as a father-son. Yes, while the Dogs have nailed there top draft choices, the Bont especially. Does this show that drafting, trading and development coaching is the most important thing in the game today ? (Richmond should never have picked up Troy Chaplin)

4 The sliding in rule was brought in as a panic move by the AFL following the injury to Gary Rohan. The rule is a NIGHTMARE to umpire, there has been criticism re the non free kick to Dan Hannebery against Easton Wood in the last quarter, personally as an umpire, I thought Wood got there 1st and got the ball with desperation and head 1st and Hannebery was just unlucky that his leg got caught underneath. I thought play on was the correct call overall the rule in its current format is just too hard to adjudicate, football collisions do happen. This was one of them, it is the classic of the rules committee getting involved and a lack of footy nous re the rule being bought in the 1st place IMO.

5 While I have been bitterly disappointed in the standard of umpiring overall in 2016, I thought the umpiring was good, there were no idiotic holding the ball free kicks paid against the poor bloke who has no chance to get rid of it at the bottom of the pack. No just plain wrong deliberate out of bounds, Kath and Kim look at me free kicks paid. The 1 shocking decision was the soft too high paid to Clay Smith which he kicked a vital goal from that free kick, went against the grain of the umpiring of the game on the day.

6 I enjoyed Kurt Tippett aka Peter Pettigrew from Harry Potter ( well played Tyrone Maynard ) have another stinker of a grand final, seriously he is a ruckman who can pinch hit up forward not the other way round. He lacks footy smarts and doesn’t work hard enough when he is not in the contest, like blocking for Franklin. There were several times in the game he could have prevented the 3rd man up but just no instinct dumb, dumb, dumb.

7 While we all laud Luke Beveridge for his selfless act in presenting Bob Murphy with his medal ( Talia gate is his only stuff up in 2 years ) if the AFL had common sense all players on the list get a premiership medal, after all it is way more than the 22 players who play on the day to achieve the holy grail.

8 Beveridge having the courage of his convictions to drop name players like Jake Stringer and Jack Macrae. No favorites at the kennel you conform to team rules and work ethic or down you go. While I strongly disagree with an umpire award re the Brownlow being the most prestigious award in the game, trust me there are games coming off the ground you have NFI, the Norm Smith showed it doesn’t matter who votes on an award, you can never please every one, no disrespect re Jason Johannisen he wasn’t in my top 3. My votes would have been T Boyd ( WB) 3, J Kennedy ( Syd) 2, L Picken ( WB) 1

9 While I am on my soap box the losers up should be rewarded also, it is Peter Moores fault that this doesn’t happen, he threw his runners up medal in to the crowd in ’79, he admits doing that is 1 of the biggest regrets of his career in the footy world. We act like losing a grand final is worse than murder, garbage, making a GF, especially in a 18 team competition is a fantastic achievement.

10 The biggest disgrace re the GF is below by the Sydney Swans GRAND FINAL RECEPTION – MCG

Congratulations to the players on a great 2016 season.

The MCG event will NOT go ahead on Sunday.

Thank you to all our members and fans for your support in season 2016

WELCOME HOME RECEPTION – SCG

Congratulations to the players on a great 2016 season.

The SCG Welcome Home Event will NOT go ahead on Sunday.

Thank you to all our members and fans for your support in season 2016.

What a DISGRACE I have enormous respect for Tom Harley and Sydney but how in the hell could you get this so WRONG win or lose we do it together in aust sport in fact being around and celebrating is easy when you win it is more important to commiserate together how the club has treated its supporters with such contempt and arrogance is unforgivable we wait and see what repercussions happen from this action

11 So the fairy tales of sport in particular Leicester City,Western Bulldogs and Cronulla Sharks are complete we wonder where Essendon would be if only they had displayed the common sense and not arrogance which Cronulla did So another season passes the feats of the Western Bulldogs may well be the greatest ever in footy history your thoughts below thank you !

The author invited readers to comment and 80 odd comments have been recorded, some worth a read, some are mehhhh ... Click here if you want to read them also.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

2. Thanks Bulldog Revolution thanked for this post
    Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: www.footyalmanac.com.au - Grand Final 2016 – Sydney v Western Bulldogs: Bullydogs reign supreme

Not sure on the credibility of that author. Makes a few errors and shows a lack of understanding in his views e.g. Fletcher Roberts from the Cats, Clay Smith free, Taliagate
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff