Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 145
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    Gold Coast has long been a dead mans patch for (allegedly) professional sporting clubs. The AFEL bucked the trend and went into the Gold Coast.

    The McKenna years were worse than expected.
    Their recruiting hasn't been sharp.
    The drug culture and QLD Crime Commission investigations are a stain on the game and their club.
    Many of their best players have requested out, and walked out.
    They've not made finals yet, and don't look nearly like it anytime soon.
    Membership numbers are still poor.
    Attendances are not brilliant, non unexpectedly.
    Rumours of rifts between players and coaches still hang about.
    This year they pitched money & opportunity to dozens of good players, all but one knocked them back.
    Captain, Qld AFEL Ambasador and on a huge salary Gary Ablett requested a trade out of there last month, for much less money.
    Malcheski has retired all of a sudden with a 2017 contract (yes he's had injuries, and cites them as the reason).

    We know the AFEL need an 18th licence for the TV rights deal. So we know 18 teams are here, I'm not suggesting dropping the numbers. But how many years does this need to continue before another club is looked at for the 18th licence? Such as North QLD or Northern Australia (inc. Darwin to FNQ) or Tasmania etc.

    Can this be drawn out much passed 3-5 years before change? Maybe even a merge with Brisbane to concoct another 3 peat for bandwagoners.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24,475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Gold Coast has long been a dead mans patch for (allegedly) professional sporting clubs. The AFEL bucked the trend and went into the Gold Coast.

    The McKenna years were worse than expected.
    Their recruiting hasn't been sharp.
    The drug culture and QLD Crime Commission investigations are a stain on the game and their club.
    Many of their best players have requested out, and walked out.
    They've not made finals yet, and don't look nearly like it anytime soon.
    Membership numbers are still poor.
    Attendances are not brilliant, non unexpectedly.
    Rumours of rifts between players and coaches still hang about.
    This year they pitched money & opportunity to dozens of good players, all but one knocked them back.
    Captain, Qld AFEL Ambasador and on a huge salary Gary Ablett requested a trade out of there last month, for much less money.
    Malcheski has retired all of a sudden with a 2017 contract (yes he's had injuries, and cites them as the reason).

    We know the AFEL need an 18th licence for the TV rights deal. So we know 18 teams are here, I'm not suggesting dropping the numbers. But how many years does this need to continue before another club is looked at for the 18th licence? Such as North QLD or Northern Australia (inc. Darwin to FNQ) or Tasmania etc.

    Can this be drawn out much passed 3-5 years before change? Maybe even a merge with Brisbane to concoct another 3 peat for bandwagoners.
    That's the inevitable outcome. The Golden Brisbane Lions playing their games out of the 'Gabba.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    Pickering has said that GAJ may ask for a trade again next year...
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,520
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    If I were in charge of Gold Coast I would:

    - 'Rebuild' (can you rebuild something that has never been built? Maybe start over again?). Lynch and May are both 24 at great bookends to build a side around.

    They have picks 4, 6, 8 and 10, as well as 5 future picks within the second round next year.

    I would place an absolute premium on getting kids with good-great attitudes, even if it means sacrificing 'better' players. To make it in that culture you have to be self-disciplined.

    If a senior player who isn't committed wants to go, load up on picks

    - Only recruit senior players who are going to be great role models. Development over sneaking a win here and there. Hanley is a really bad choice in this regard IMO.

    - Dump Rocket and get a development based coach.

    The massive focus is on demand for great attitudes. Dickheads and easily influenced types are just too risky in that environment.
    Footscray Bulldogs in the VFL

    http://www.facebook.com/FootscrayBulldogs

  5. Likes bulldogtragic, hujsh liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Parkville Medical Precinct
    Posts
    1,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    I never understood why the Suns and other Gold Coast based teams struggled to survive until I tried to arrange to see a game at Metricon in 2015. Talk about a nightmare. The public transport is a joke and there is a 5 km exclusion zone for parking near the stadium - they have made it very difficult to get to the place. On top of that the reserved seating prices are abhorrent for a fledgling expansion team.

    Make it easy to get to the game and make the ticket prices reasonable, and the crowds will come. There are enough expat Victorians to get 20K plus every week, but not if they can't just hop in their car and park near the ground for nothing.
    Footscray member since 1980.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,976
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    If I were in charge of Gold Coast I would:

    - 'Rebuild' (can you rebuild something that has never been built? Maybe start over again?). Lynch and May are both 24 at great bookends to build a side around.

    They have picks 4, 6, 8 and 10, as well as 5 future picks within the second round next year.

    I would place an absolute premium on getting kids with good-great attitudes, even if it means sacrificing 'better' players. To make it in that culture you have to be self-disciplined.


    If a senior player who isn't committed wants to go, load up on picks


    - Only recruit senior players who are going to be great role models. Development over sneaking a win here and there. Hanley is a really bad choice in this regard IMO.


    - Dump Rocket and get a development based coach.

    The massive focus is on demand for great attitudes. Dickheads and easily influenced types are just too risky in that environment.
    They need to revamp the recruiting team because what you have outlined is what they should have been doing from the start. They were given enough currency to recruit a great group but have fallen short.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stuck in the middle with you
    Posts
    8,133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    Fold the team, then give the reigning premiers first option to pick up their choice of player/s.
    Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24,475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Fold the team, then give the reigning premiers first option to pick up their choice of player/s.
    That's a bloody good idea. Get some of those players into a decent program and they could go places.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  10. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rosebud
    Posts
    6,836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I never understood why the Suns and other Gold Coast based teams struggled to survive until I tried to arrange to see a game at Metricon in 2015. Talk about a nightmare. The public transport is a joke and there is a 5 km exclusion zone for parking near the stadium - they have made it very difficult to get to the place. On top of that the reserved seating prices are abhorrent for a fledgling expansion team.

    Make it easy to get to the game and make the ticket prices reasonable, and the crowds will come. There are enough expat Victorians to get 20K plus every week, but not if they can't just hop in their car and park near the ground for nothing.
    Yes I found it strange that you couldn't park near the ground too. Although what I did discover is a lot of the hotels offer free bus transport to and from the ground including the place where we were staying so that was a big plus.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yes I found it strange that you couldn't park near the ground too. Although what I did discover is a lot of the hotels offer free bus transport to and from the ground including the place where we were staying so that was a big plus.
    So locals should stay at hotels to get to the ground?
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    FIAT are no longer a major sponsor of the Suns.



    "Gold Coast Football Club and FCA Australia today confirmed that Fiat would not be extending their three year co-major partnership when it expires next week," the statement said.

    "It has been an extremely successful partnership for both parties. FCA Australia values all that the partnership has delivered and wishes the GCFC every success for the 2017 season and beyond.

    "Throughout 2016, GCFC extended their other co-major partner, HostPlus, for a further three years, as well as stadium naming rights partner Metricon Homes for a further five years, taking both partnerships beyond 10-year commitments."


    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...29-gsdlro.html
    They come after one,
    They come after all,
    They can't handle all,
    Lets go....

    Bob Murphy

  14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
  15. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    That's a big loss. Losing a major sponsor means the AFEL will probably need to pick up that slack. The signs aren't great for that plastic franchise.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawforn
    Posts
    9,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    I thought they were looking pretty good from a list perspective until they were decimated by injury throughout the course of the last few years. It was then that their culture caught up with them and the wheels started coming off.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    Bump.

    Since three years since I've asked the question, they've held up the bottom of the ladder and look to be bottom this year. Currently just 66%. They sacked another coach. Ablett quits, Lynch, Kolo & May walked out last year, Prestia, O'Meara, Saad, Matera and others in the last few years. Haven't signed Martin, Day etc. Today they've given up 103 points in the first half against Richmond.

    Just Fitzroy them already.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 06-07-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

    Wasting funds that can be used elsewhere. They will never ever make it on the Gold Coast - flogging a dead horse.

    AFL just admit it you got this wrong.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •