Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  41
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gold Coast Suns Viability - How Long Have They Got?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    West Coast and Freo travel all over Australia.
    Yeah but in the Northern Australian idea they travel all over for their home games as well. It's bad enough flying every second week, imagine being based in Cairns but every second or third home game you are flying to Darwin or Alice (not to mention spending considerable time in the pre-season in those locations as well to try and make them feel like you are their club). Good luck selling that idea.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I think access to some seriously credentialled culture builder type players is key, irrespective to what else is put together to assist.
    Can i preface what I'm about to say with, I DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN.

But for shits and giggles; Luke says to Moz end of the year, ' just not seeing a spot next year mate; you know you're still good enough, but we need to get games into some guys. We both know you're still good enough, and I know the fire still burns - Gold Coast would love to have you drive the development of their culture. You'd go with our blessing."

I want Dale to play for us until he can play no more, but he's the exact archetype of person they need. Heart and Soul and his values and approach just washes over everyone at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash your eyes out with soap!

I could imagine another club taking Moz. Like you say he is a heart and soul culture building type player.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Wash your eyes out with soap!

I could imagine another club taking Moz. Like you say he is a heart and soul culture building type player.
    I know. I threw up multiple times in my mouth as I wrote it.

Post Thanks / Like

Shaun Burgoyne has been thrown up for that role. He's not Morris but he might do.

6. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read today that rumours are building re a relocation of the NRL’s Gold Coast Titans to Brisbane.

As TV viewership, state of origin hysteria and the strength of the Brisbane Broncos and NQ Cowboys demonstrate, Queensland is rugby league mad... and yet, not even that sport can make a team work on the Gold Coast. So a minority sport stands zero chance.

The club should be disbanded and the licence transferred (along with the playing list) to either of Tassie or Perth. The Gold Coast is purely a graveyard and the AFL are throwing good money after bad.

8. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I read today that rumours are building re a relocation of the NRL’s Gold Coast Titans to Brisbane.

As TV viewership, state of origin hysteria and the strength of the Brisbane Broncos and NQ Cowboys demonstrate, Queensland is rugby league mad... and yet, not even that sport can make a team work on the Gold Coast. So a minority sport stands zero chance.

The club should be disbanded and the licence transferred (along with the playing list) to either of Tassie or Perth. The Gold Coast is purely a graveyard and the AFL are throwing good money after bad.

Yep. Like a pokies addict chasing their losses.

And the NRL take equalisation a lot more seriously than the AFL. just in this century every NRL team has made the Grand Final except for Canberra and Gold Coast but even those clubs have made preliminary finals in fact Canberra have been a try away from making the GF. So the Titans would have been given every chance to succeed, if the NRL can't get a club on the Gold Coast to work then there is no chance that a cowboy outfit like the AFL will. It will just suck as much money into a black hole as they want to spend. I don't trust the people running the club either-they will stand at the front of the queue and take as much money as the AFL wants to give them.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I think the Gold Coast is the best of a bad bunch of options for an 18th team.

What are the alternatives?

Tasmania is the obvious one. But it's a state that has a divide between north and south. Hobart, it's biggest city, has a population of 206,000 people, and Tassie people aren't exactly known to turn up to events in force, so what happens if 3 years down the track we have a team that is averaging 9,000 people at their games, has no real potential for growth in the city, and is trying to sell itself to 24 year old men with money as the place they want to spend their 20's. I think Tassie will have just as hard a time as Gold Coast presently does both attracting a crowd and attracting players.

Canberra is bigger, but again at 400,000 people it's not huge, and has a traditionally transient population. Also the fact that literally no one has even jokingly raised them as an option ever would suggest to me that they are no chance.

Darwin/Cairns/Alice/any regional hot town. Tiny populations (Those first three combined have about 300,000 people), shithouse conditions, high likelihood of having to split time between various towns, no chance. You think player retention is tough for Brisbane.

Perth. Attendances indicate they turn up and definitely sell memberships, but what would a third clubs point of difference be? Would they be able to recruit many, if any new members. And aside from the extra game in Perth each week do they actually grow the game? Nope.

Sydney is big enough, but GWS are still trying to gain a foothold and they're actually pretty good. Another team there is about a century away.

Brisbane again is big enough, but the Lions have struggled there for ages and Gold Coast is as close as you could put a team.

So the choice is between Gold Coast and Tassie. Either way it's not going to be a strong club in the near future, on field or off, but if we assess it as follows:
    Who will have bigger crowds in 10 years time: Gold Coast probably, in 30 years definitely.
    Who can grow the game more: Gold Coast is hitting up a largely untapped region with bigger potential for sponsorship and corporate support plus a much bigger pool of people to convert as members.
    Who will be able to attract players and staff: Gold Coast for sure. Tassie is great but who wants to move there in their 20's that isn't from Tassie.
    Who deserves it: Tassie does.

So either you move them to Tassie and say you aren't doing this for the benefit of growing the game or creating a potentially strong club long term, but rather you are doing it to make a community club for a community that is already yours. It will always be hamstrung by virtue of being in Tassie, but it will hopefully give Tasmanian football overall the kick up the arse it needs. From the start you'd be making a small club, with limited scope and probably always in need of support. You'd be making North.

...Or you stick with Gold Coast, who you always knew was going to be a long term proposition, which hasn't been helped in the short term by a complete lack of performance on field. You stick it out, try and make them good and see if that brings people through the gates (surely the Gold Coast would be one of the most fickle audiences going around so you cant say their crowds when they are shit show their potential). This side has scope long term to be an asset to the competition.

The third option is to kill Gold Coast and have either a 17 team comp, or kill another team as well to make it 16 again. But either way that's a horrible option.

So now we just have to make Gold Coast good and then give them some time to grow.
    Last edited by soupman; 19-07-2019 at 07:41 AM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

11. Thanks chef, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great analysis Soupaman.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Honestly I think the Gold Coast is the best of a bad bunch of options for an 18th team.

What are the alternatives?
    FWIW, I believe it’s very simple that Perth warrants a third team. WCE are the richest club in the competition by some distance, whilst, despite themselves, Fremantle are in the top five.

This says to me that Perth can support a third club. Personally, I’d put it out there to a conglomerate of WAFL clubs to come up
    With a joint venture. This way, you get your 18th team, fulfil TV commitments, and tap into the big corporate resource sector money in Perth.

Corporate suites sell out at Optus stadium in a heart beat. There’s plenty of cash in Perth. Despite detractors, GWS has worked as the maths was simple. The population in western Sydney is enormous and people out there find getting to the SCG time prohibitive. So the AFL needs to take a “one out of two ain’t bad” approach, pull up stumps and go third team in Perth.

Although my heart says a Tassie team is right and just, my brain just can’t have it. There’s neither the population nor the corporate dollar to support a team down there.

Tassie’s Everything the Gold Coast isn’t, whilst the Gold Coast is everything Tassie isn’t. Between them they’ve got all of the necessary ingredients. However both of them, on their own, don’t have the necessary ingredients. It’s a pity, but that’s life.

Perth it is, for mine. But finally, if GC was ever to work, it was via the Norf relocation. At least that way there’s a rotation of visitors going up there from Norf’s supporter base, bigger crowds for the Melbourne away games, and a few more opposition fans who would travel up there with their Norf mates. In short, the solid foundation of an existing club.

Unfortunately, when Norf voted the move down, the AFL overstepped by going ahead with a start up.

Finally, wouldn’t it have been easier and cheaper to have simply supported Fitzroy for a few more years, prior to gently suggesting a relocation? Would have been a much, much better outcome for everyone.. Pissing away 110+ year old, beloved institutions is anathema.

My suggestion is allowing the Perth footy club to get together with Subiaco, West Perth, Swan District etc, use the vacant Perth FC name, and form a third team up there with some solid links to a handful of clubs. To me, it makes complete sense.

14. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I disagree personally. If Tassie can sustain themselves and add that extra televised fixture but don't expand the supporter base I still think that's viable. Moreso than having 9 Melbourne teams or sinking money into teams without any supporters that don't seem to be growing at least. Though that's probably a separate thread's discussion
    Tassie is not united though, the south vs north issue is massive.
    If they could solve that dilemma they could make a serious case of a team but until they do the AFL won't consider it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    FWIW, I believe it’s very simple that Perth warrants a third team. WCE are the richest club in the competition by some distance, whilst, despite themselves, Fremantle are in the top five.

This says to me that Perth can support a third club. Personally, I’d put it out there to a conglomerate of WAFL clubs to come up
    With a joint venture. This way, you get your 18th team, fulfil TV commitments, and tap into the big corporate resource sector money in Perth.

Corporate suites sell out at Optus stadium in a heart beat. There’s plenty of cash in Perth. Despite detractors, GWS has worked as the maths was simple. The population in western Sydney is enormous and people out there find getting to the SCG time prohibitive. So the AFL needs to take a “one out of two ain’t bad” approach, pull up stumps and go third team in Perth.

Although my heart says a Tassie team is right and just, my brain just can’t have it. There’s neither the population nor the corporate dollar to support a team down there.

Tassie’s Everything the Gold Coast isn’t, whilst the Gold Coast is everything Tassie isn’t. Between them they’ve got all of the necessary ingredients. However both of them, on their own, don’t have the necessary ingredients. It’s a pity, but that’s life.

Perth it is, for mine. But finally, if GC was ever to work, it was via the Norf relocation. At least that way there’s a rotation of visitors going up there from Norf’s supporter base, bigger crowds for the Melbourne away games, and a few more opposition fans who would travel up there with their Norf mates. In short, the solid foundation of an existing club.

Unfortunately, when Norf voted the move down, the AFL overstepped by going ahead with a start up.

Finally, wouldn’t it have been easier and cheaper to have simply supported Fitzroy for a few more years, prior to gently suggesting a relocation? Would have been a much, much better outcome for everyone.. Pissing away 110+ year old, beloved institutions is anathema.

My suggestion is allowing the Perth footy club to get together with Subiaco, West Perth, Swan District etc, use the vacant Perth FC name, and form a third team up there with some solid links to a handful of clubs. To me, it makes complete sense.
    It would have been much simpler but unfortunately society was in the thrall of economic rationalists telling us that we couldn't afford to do the decent and honorable thing by the people who had done so much for the competion. A lot of people bag Ross Oakley but it was Wayne Jackson who destroyed the fabric and integrity of the competition.

17. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It would have been much simpler but unfortunately society was in the thrall of economic rationalists telling us that we couldn't afford to do the decent and honorable thing by the people who had done so much for the competion. A lot of people bag Ross Oakley but it was Wayne Jackson who destroyed the fabric and integrity of the competition.
    Aren't we lucky that's no longer the case...…….

Good posts Soup and Web.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn you Soupaman and your infernal logic.

21. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Aren't we lucky that's no longer the case...…….

Good posts Soup and Web.

Mate, they don't even pretend that economic policy is for the greater good anymore. It's all me, me, me and walking over dead bodies. We are in the time of the proud scum bag.