Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: That one player ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Who we really need to step up for us would seem to be:

1. Ben Hudson
    Lots of expectation on a new recruit, I know, but he is the key to the entire midfield/centre-square combination working properly. If the guys can get this part of the team down pat there is enough talent in there to at least break even on most days and give the team a fighting chance. This means that the other ruckmen will also need to step up their games to a certain degree.

An interesting one. Had impressive stats, working with the Crows midfield.

But will he be as good with ours?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

5. Mitch Hahn
    Has the capacity to lock down across half-forward and has done so in the past but injuries have stalled him somewhat. If he can produce his best form on a consistent basis and kick/create a few goals for us from his sheer physicality (as I remember happening on a freakishly common basis over a few weeks in 2006), Murph, Aka, Johno et al will have a field day running defenders ragged from turnovers.
    He also should improve his accuracy in front of goal. There was a stat i read that showed he was one of the worst in the league

Post Thanks / Like

Players who will step up:

Crystal-balling:

1. Ryan Griffen
    This kid could be anything, and his application and attitude is second to none. At his best he will be pushing at elite status, and with a full pre-season under his belt, I have no doubt he will take the next step, dispelling any injury doubts. Watching his attack on the ball and take games and players on by the scruff of the neck sends chills down my spine, and he's not even really very good yet.

2. Jason Akermanis
    He will be frighteningly influential this year. Not the same player he once was, Jason will rely less on his speed and reinvent himself as a leader and tackling force inside the forward 50. With a huge engine, and the best vision, footy smarts and creative passing in the team, he will become a consistent 20-plus possession link-up player from midfield into the forward 50 that will rely more on letting the ball do the work than previous flashy incarnations.

3. Robert Murphy
    Murph will return to his devastating best and alternate as he already does between HFF and HBF. He will be pushing towards elite status (but will not be recognised because he doesn't look like an elite footballer, and his influence will far outweigh mere statistics).

---

I have rated these three certainties to step up from last year mainly because of their application and work ethic towards their football careers that were circumstantially affected last year, mainly through injury. These are immensely gifted players that play hard and give their all no matter the state of the scoreboard and have great pride in their own performances and contributions to their team. Consummate professionals all.

Post Thanks / Like

Players who will step up:

Crystal-balling:

1. Ryan Griffen
    This kid could be anything, and his application and attitude is second to none. At his best he will be pushing at elite status, and with a full pre-season under his belt, I have no doubt he will take the next step, dispelling any injury doubts. Watching his attack on the ball and take games and players on by the scruff of the neck sends chills down my spine, and he's not even really very good yet.

2. Jason Akermanis
    He will be frighteningly influential this year. Not the same player he once was, Jason will rely less on his speed and reinvent himself as a leader and tackling force inside the forward 50. With a huge engine, and the best vision, footy smarts and creative passing in the team, he will become a consistent 20-plus possession link-up player from midfield into the forward 50 that will rely more on letting the ball do the work than previous flashy incarnations.

3. Robert Murphy
    Murph will return to his devastating best and alternate as he already does between HFF and HBF. He will be pushing towards elite status (but will not be recognised because he doesn't look like an elite footballer, and his influence will far outweigh mere statistics).

---

I have rated these three certainties to step up from last year mainly because of their application and work ethic towards their football careers that were circumstantially affected last year, mainly through injury. These are immensely gifted players that play hard and give their all no matter the state of the scoreboard and have great pride in their own performances and contributions to their team. Consummate professionals all.
    Who wouldn't kill for the skill and class of those three?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    An interesting one. Had impressive stats, working with the Crows midfield.

But will he be as good with ours?
    I think he will be better simply because he will get more ground time - in Adelaide they generally platoon in the ruck, and so Hudson split time with a variety of guys over his time there. He'll really be given every opportunity to really assert himself with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern
    1. Ryan Griffen
    I have less confidence in Griffen to step up in 2008, not because I doubt his talent but because I am concerned he just does not have the continuity in his fitness. For my money he just needs to get fit, and get back to enjoying his footy

Post Thanks / Like

Lantern, very good summation on Griffen, Akermanis and Murph, I have enjoyed the read.

All three as you have written do take extreme pride in what they do, here's hoping they all have an injury free exciting year for us all to enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going for someone from left field. Normally pick one every year, Cross & Gilbee have surved me well in years past, Cam Wight not so much but still think he will make it eventually (appears to be the classic late bloomer).

Scary enough, I'm tipping a debutant to be a regular by the end of this year. Brennan Stack. Why? He has the speed & movement, can find the ball, and now has the size. His off-field distractions should be minised this year, so he can just concentrate on the footy. There is no pressure on him so he can develop at his own pace.
    Regular track gazers tip him to be the best of the bros, and that is saying something because I have never seen a leap like Hill nor the rugby step style of lil Kostya, especially considering how hard he works on turnovers. 2009 may be the year of the Stack, but in 2008 we'll see the Stack rise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Cam Wight not so much but still think he will make it eventually (appears to be the classic late bloomer).
    I agree Mofra - he is due for something special, I really hope he has a great season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Scary enough, I'm tipping a debutant to be a regular by the end of this year. Brennan Stack. Why? He has the speed & movement, can find the ball, and now has the size. His off-field distractions should be minised this year, so he can just concentrate on the footy. There is no pressure on him so he can develop at his own pace.
    Regular track gazers tip him to be the best of the bros, and that is saying something because I have never seen a leap like Hill nor the rugby step style of lil Kostya, especially considering how hard he works on turnovers. 2009 may be the year of the Stack, but in 2008 we'll see the Stack rise.
    How big is he now?

Post Thanks / Like

How big is he now?
    Don't think he has grown as much as he has put on bulk. He looks to have put on atleast 5-8kg's since he arrived at the club, much stronger across the chest and in the arms.

It must be remebered that Stack arrived at the club last year with a fracture in his leg meaning he had little or no pre-season. Agree with Mofra that he is certainly one to watch in 08. From the little I have seen of him he looks a great long term prospect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Don't think he has grown as much as he has put on bulk. He looks to have put on atleast 5-8kg's since he arrived at the club, much stronger across the chest and in the arms.

It must be remebered that Stack arrived at the club last year with a fracture in his leg meaning he had little or no pre-season. Agree with Mofra that he is certainly one to watch in 08. From the little I have seen of him he looks a great long term prospect.
    I still remember that 2nds game he played for Werribee against Frankston. He had the ball on a string and was just brilliant. Once he learns the defensive side of his game he really could be a player to watch.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Just for somethin different hopefully Minson but have no confidence when he goes foward for us.
    Would like to see him compete well in the ruck and win the ball around the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Thanks. His likely long term position?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. His likely long term position?
    Midfielder. I really think he could be the type that could play inside & outside, moves well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bc013 View Post
    I'm hoping one of our fringe talls will finally show something - if just one of Tiller, Wight, Skipper or Doogs (and I'll throw Minson in too) can start to have a regular impact on games, we'll be a much better team for it.

I'd enjoy seeing Wight make it but I dont know what position he is best suited to.