Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Champion Data rates Western Bulldogs’ list as best in the AFL, Brisbane Lions rated worst

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Tom Liberatore and Lachie Hunter unlucky not to be elite.
    Laughable to suggest that Libba is anything other than elite - his hands in tight are as good as anyone in the game since Greg Williams.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Champion Data rates Western Bulldogs’ list as best in the AFL, Brisbane Lions rated worst

I wouldn't have Stringer in the elite section on this year's showing. Tom Liberatore and Lachie Hunter unlucky not to be elite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Laughable to suggest that Libba is anything other than elite - his hands in tight are as good as anyone in the game since Greg Williams.
    It goes to the limitation on a numbers based analysis. If you review the numbers then Wallis fits the criteria, but Libba doesn't, but everyone knows at their best Libba can have a greater impact than the latter with less moments registering a stat.

I think Champion Data do a fantastic job, but they have real issues with situational judgement or subjective impact on the output of single moments within a game.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree CD generally do a very good job, but any numbers based assessment system will have its limitations. With Libba, I think CD looks at cumulative points, mainly based over the past 2 years, so Libba's lack of games makes it nearly impossible for him to be graded elite under the CD methodology.

Prior to his bad injury, CD at one point had Libba ranked amongst the top 20 players in the AFL, so very much elite (from memory he is the 2nd youngest player to be ranked so high, with only Bont ahead of him).

As long as he gets the games in, he'll be back to his rightful status sooner rather than later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

His hands were brilliant throughout the finals series. He may not have racked up high numbers, but he was very damaging. Just take a look at the last quarter v GWS.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I agree CD generally do a very good job, but any numbers based assessment system will have its limitations. With Libba, I think CD looks at cumulative points, mainly based over the past 2 years, so Libba's lack of games makes it nearly impossible for him to be graded elite under the CD methodology.

Prior to his bad injury, CD at one point had Libba ranked amongst the top 20 players in the AFL, so very much elite (from memory he is the 2nd youngest player to be ranked so high, with only Bont ahead of him).

As long as he gets the games in, he'll be back to his rightful status sooner rather than later.
    It's a good comparison between Libba and The Bont in terms of quality, impact and output. If Libba wasn't in the same team as the Bont and he hadn't had the year off with his knee then tgeir reputations would be much closer.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good comparison between Libba and The Bont in terms of quality, impact and output. If Libba wasn't in the same team as the Bont and he hadn't had the year off with his knee then tgeir reputations would be much closer.
    Nah Bont would always have a higher reputation because of his style of play. He constantly goes forwards with his disposals and he also kicks a lot of goals. He has a real flair to him that would keep his rep up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    His hands were brilliant throughout the finals series. He may not have racked up high numbers, but he was very damaging. Just take a look at the last quarter v GWS.
    Yep, his clearance work in the 2nd half both the PF and tbe GF were as good as there has ever been.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"