Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge inspires his players to premiership glory with rousing pre-game speech

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    My kids got me a book of Yogi Berra quotes a few birthdays back. They love it so much and I'm constantly rescuing it from one or the others room that I'm not sure whether it was it was a present for them or me.

You can observe a lot by just watching.
    He was fantastic. "You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you"
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge inspires his players to premiership glory with rousing pre-game speech

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    He was fantastic. "You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you"
    You see now most of us would say "they didn't win, we lost the game" which is essentially downplaying the oppositions acheivment and a negative reaction. But Yogi was a competitor. "If we'd beaten you" Yogi cared about winning not losing.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

What instrument did Libba bring? Surely a cricket bat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    What instrument did Libba bring? Surely a cricket bat.
    A Sitar-
    on your ass any Swans players that got in his way

5. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I'd be intrigued to know who wrote:

“The pain of discipline is better than the pain of disappointment”.

Nominations?
    Agreed this statement, in the context of the season, is the mantra that has meaning. In the absence of knowledge of who said it, it is Beveridge's genius to identify it as the statement of the group that expresses a bonding dynamism. It is great to know this quote is the mantra. In a way I wish it wasn't published if it lessens its magic within the group.
    Other clubs can use it now but it will be diluted for them because it wasn't organic to them. I will send it to my sons bolded inside the article and remind myself of it most days.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Agreed this statement, in the context of the season, is the mantra that has meaning. In the absence of knowledge of who said it, it is Beveridge's genius to identify it as the statement of the group that expresses a bonding dynamism. It is great to know this quote is the mantra. In a way I wish it wasn't published if it lessens its magic within the group.
    Other clubs can use it now but it will be diluted for them because it wasn't organic to them. I will send it to my sons bolded inside the article and remind myself of it most days.
    I reckon that other clubs are welcome to use it because we will be moving on and coming up with something different. If we stand still we die.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    tattooed on Michael Clarke's arm in Arabic. Translation above.

American business evangelist Jim Rohn has been credited with the saying, "We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment"
    Not so exclusively organic to The Bulldogs then but still part of our journey to the flag. Thanks Michael and Jim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I reckon that other clubs are welcome to use it because we will be moving on and coming up with something different. If we stand still we die.
    Yes we will move on and morph somewhat. This is the very essence of life, change. Footscray is different to the place I grew up in but some essence is still there. No cells in our body are older than eight years.
    Bevo and Peter et al will oversee the development of a fine young bunch of cannibals/footballers and harness their life force.