Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke Dahlhaus talks Tom Liberatore, his love for his club and premiership emotions

Luke Dahlhaus talks Tom Liberatore, his love for his club and premiership emotions
    LAUREN WOOD, Herald Sun, October 2, 2016 6:00pm

LINK

IT was a close shave, but Tom Liberatore has an Uber and a good mate to thank today.

Teammate Luke Dahlhaus has revealed how close his fellow premiership Bulldog and friend came to taking to the MCG on Saturday without his trusty boots, with the ride-sharing service called upon to make a quick dash back to Brunswick West — about a $38 ride each way on a good day — retrieve the boots from under his bed and be back at the ground in time for the bounce.

“It was unbelievable,” Dahlhaus said.
    “His mate had to go all the way back home in an Uber and then drove them back in. It was ridiculous. Insane.”

Saturday’s result proved a turn in fortune for Liberatore, who also had his car towed during the week.

Dahlhaus, 24, led the masses in a rousing rendition of “Sons of the West” at Whitten Oval on Sunday - a chorus of more than 20,000 joining in quickly after his traditional introduction.

Luke Dahlhaus with the premiership cup and a few of his mates at Whitten Oval.

It was when Tom Boyd booted a goal at the 21-minute mark of the final term to take the Dogs to a 15-point lead, Dahlhaus said he felt slightly more “comfortable”.

But when Toby McLean was taken high and earned a free kick some 15 metres from goal with 35 seconds on the clock, the Geelong product had none other than Liberatore sidle up and whisper in his ear.

Libba came up and stood next to me and said ‘Oi, the siren’s going to go and I’m going to hug you’.

Luke Dahlhaus
    That was when he knew.

“Libba came up and stood next to me and said ‘Oi, the siren’s going to go and I’m going to hug you’,” Dahlhaus said.

“He knew there was 20 seconds to go or something like that, so that just shows how such good mates we are and he wanted to share that moment with me.

“I saw a video of it and it nearly brought me to tears. To spend that with him, someone that I got drafted with was amazing.”

Tom Liberatore and Luke Dahlhaus celebrate on the final siren.

He, like many, admitted that the win was yet to fully sink in.

It took some time post-game, too, to realise what the group had achieved.

Enter mum Lori and dad Mark.

“The first time I saw the emotions come out was when I saw mum and dad in the rooms,” the midfielder said.

“Before that, I was sort of normal and it was another win, but as soon as I saw them, I started bawling and I never cry. That was the best feeling ever.”

Sunday’s scenes at Whitten Oval were unprecedented, and reminded Dahlhaus of how Geelong rallied as a city when it broke its 44-year premiership drought in 2007.

“It’s got that community feel about it,” he said.

“That’s what I love about the club. It’s such a great club and I’m so happy to be a part of it.”
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

2. Thanks azabob, Smads57, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Dahlhaus talks Tom Liberatore, his love for his club and premiership emotions

No better sight in the world than red, white and blue streamers blowing in the wind attached to the Premiership cup.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Dahlhaus talks Tom Liberatore, his love for his club and premiership emotions

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No better sight in the world than red, white and blue streamers blowing in the wind attached to the Premiership cup.
    Agree. I want to see that a lot more. I'm greedy
    Last edited by GVGjr; 13-11-2016 at 01:50 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies if has been posted already -

It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

7. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post