Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

As the Western Bulldogs grow bigger, the club must adapt quickly

With the club success comes many teething problems and the administration needs to get on top of it very quickly, or people may drop off.

The more members, whether ordinary, or social club there will be more demands on the clubs administration.

Some examples:

1. Family day after GF - the ground couldn't cope with the numbers that showed up. The design of the gates and access to the ground needs to be looked at. I know I was lined up for more than 30 minutes trying to get in.

2. Social Club - The Victory room this year was jammed packed and hard to get served for drinks etc. The Social Club event on December 15, is sold out - You would think this free event should be available for all social club members, not just first in first out.

3. Ringing membership hotline - I was on the phone 30 minutes then it went to voicemail.

4. There will be more demands on the club - access for kids to train with the players day, Barkers Cafe, Bulldog Shop merchandise and any events etc etc.

These are all good problems to have, but someone will have to act - Here is looking at you Mr CEO.

I know that any events in 2017, you will have to get in quickly and not just think about it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes choconmientay, cinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: As the Western Bulldogs grow bigger, the club must adapt quickly

Yep, and we have the cash to spare now. If we want to be a successful big club, we need the administrative arm to be like successful big clubs. Hawthorn, of whom my wife is a non attending member of, do it very, very well.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We seriously have to decide if we are in the pokies business or not too. We are paying for all the licensing and stuff but don't have many machines.

If we are out that's fine and if we are in thane that's fine too but we have to shit or get off the can.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes bornadog, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    With the club success comes many teething problems and the administration needs to get on top of it very quickly, or people may drop off.

The more members, whether ordinary, or social club there will be more demands on the clubs administration.

Some examples:

1. Family day after GF - the ground couldn't cope with the numbers that showed up. The design of the gates and access to the ground needs to be looked at. I know I was lined up for more than 30 minutes trying to get in.

2. Social Club - The Victory room this year was jammed packed and hard to get served for drinks etc. The Social Club event on December 15, is sold out - You would think this free event should be available for all social club members, not just first in first out.

3. Ringing membership hotline - I was on the phone 30 minutes then it went to voicemail.

4. There will be more demands on the club - access for kids to train with the players day, Barkers Cafe, Bulldog Shop merchandise and any events etc etc.

These are all good problems to have, but someone will have to act - Here is looking at you Mr CEO.

I know that any events in 2017, you will have to get in quickly and not just think about it.
    Are you sure the Social Club party is sold out BAD? On my email it had RSVP 30th November

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Are you sure the Social Club party is sold out BAD? On my email it had RSVP 30th November
    I'm not a SC member but even I know it's sold out and there are no guest passes this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm not a SC member but even I know it's sold out and there are no guest passes this year.
    Pretty poor state of affairs when we are not even near the RSVP date

Post Thanks / Like

Actually don't listen to me. I'd have no idea what the SC are doing. The last time I was in the SC the Medallian got you entry to the Can Bar on match days.

Post Thanks / Like

We seem to be adjusting hard to success. The planned players trip to Ballarat on their Mad Monday, merchandise issues and now this. Hopefully the new CEO is one of these types who wants to invest in our club/staff infrastructure to keep the masses happy and money flowing. That they hired extra staff into the membership department is a good start. But make them permanent and add some more staff, because a small club wanting to be a big club needs to make every post a winner and consolidate the base. Hopefully, things start turning around because the excuse of 'not being used to success/premierships' has run out of use.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yes spoke to them today as per my post
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dad and I spoke 10 minutes after we got the email - "Lets Go". We both tried to follow the link, failed for both of us. 30 minutes on the phone and I gave up - Dad lasted 37.

Maybe we can organise an alternative event at the Wharf for those who missed out. No players, no cup, no mingling. Just honest supporters.

Pffft.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to register last night for the Social Club function without success. A bit disappointed as the email from the club didn't clearly state it'd be limited numbers. Was looking forward to seeing the premiership cup. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post and I hope the Club read it, or even better, are on the front foot addressing these issues internally.

I've been hyper lenient towards the Club's occasional organisational missteps as I know we have historically been under resourced but the time is upon us to grow out of that phase and become ultra professional off the field, in line with our on field results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    I tried to register last night for the Social Club function without success. A bit disappointed as the email from the club didn't clearly state it'd be limited numbers. Was looking forward to seeing the premiership cup. Oh well.
    Suz! Great to hear from you.

Have you swung Mark over to us this year?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/christmasparty

Additional tickets available from Tuesday
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

The fall from the face of the Earth experienced by Port Adelaide is a cursory tale we must learn lessons from.

Post their 2004 GF they tried to change the club into something bigger than it actually was to capitalise on the spike in activity and revenue that naturally comes from winning the premiership. In the wash up, it was determined this moved the club away from its core identity and in the process marginalised its fans.

This is what we must avoid. We know what our identity is and we should foster it. From what I'm reading from posters it is attention to detail rather than grand ideas that the club must focus on to capitalise on our current position. We are who we are, we need to make the most of it by ensuring everyone who wants access can get it, and that we have the support for them to gain that access easily.

From a strategic perspective I'd be surprised if our goals have changed in the last couple of months. If they have I'm concerned we weren't committed to them in the first place.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post