Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: As the Western Bulldogs grow bigger, the club must adapt quickly

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The fall from the face of the Earth experienced by Port Adelaide is a cursory tale we must learn lessons from.

Post their 2004 GF they tried to change the club into something bigger than it actually was to capitalise on the spike in activity and revenue that naturally comes from winning the premiership. In the wash up, it was determined this moved the club away from its core identity and in the process marginalised its fans.

This is what we must avoid. We know what our identity is and we should foster it. From what I'm reading from posters it is attention to detail rather than grand ideas that the club must focus on to capitalise on our current position. We are who we are, we need to make the most of it by ensuring everyone who wants access can get it, and that we have the support for them to gain that access easily.

From a strategic perspective I'd be surprised if our goals have changed in the last couple of months. If they have I'm concerned we weren't committed to them in the first place.
    Interesting post. Explains a lot.
    I also think the Port / China thing will end in disaster for them, living as I do in China.
    Chinese people are soft. Not that this is a poor quality, just a cultural difference.
    They hate hard sports. Can't even play soccer with any hardness.
    The most successful AFL teams have a bit of old school 'where I belong' about them. Very hard to export that.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The fall from the face of the Earth experienced by Port Adelaide is a cursory tale we must learn lessons from.

Post their 2004 GF they tried to change the club into something bigger than it actually was to capitalise on the spike in activity and revenue that naturally comes from winning the premiership. In the wash up, it was determined this moved the club away from its core identity and in the process marginalised its fans.

This is what we must avoid. We know what our identity is and we should foster it. From what I'm reading from posters it is attention to detail rather than grand ideas that the club must focus on to capitalise on our current position. We are who we are, we need to make the most of it by ensuring everyone who wants access can get it, and that we have the support for them to gain that access easily.

From a strategic perspective I'd be surprised if our goals have changed in the last couple of months. If they have I'm concerned we weren't committed to them in the first place.
    That's interesting. How did Port move away from its roots and how did this marginalize their supporters? Port have found 30,000 new members in the last 9 years!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    That's interesting. How did Port move away from its roots and how did this marginalize their supporters? Port have found 30,000 new members in the last 9 years!
    Was it Port or Freo that were covering the seats in the ground to make it look like their were more people an there were? Freo and Port tend to blur into one another when it comes to details sometimes.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Was it Port or Freo that were covering the seats in the ground to make it look like their were more people an there were? Freo and Port tend to blur into one another when it comes to details sometimes.
    That was Port.
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...7bba19fdc3e771

7. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah they were pretty unwatchable for a few years. I think they sold whole bays to companies for advertisement.

How did Port lose their fans other than playing crap football?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Interesting post. Explains a lot.
    I also think the Port / China thing will end in disaster for them, living as I do in China.
    Chinese people are soft. Not that this is a poor quality, just a cultural difference.
    They hate hard sports. Can't even play soccer with any hardness.
    The most successful AFL teams have a bit of old school 'where I belong' about them. Very hard to export that.
    They don't have to play the game. The question is whether they might like it if they watched. Any thoughts on that?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah they were pretty unwatchable for a few years. I think they sold whole bays to companies for advertisement.

How did Port lose their fans other than playing crap football?
    They lost their main sponsor because Choco Williams couldn't resist having a crack at the owner in his premiership acceptance speech.

Post Thanks / Like

I will see what I can dig up, from memory things like basic member functions became price prohibitive and of a higher brow than what they were prior to the premiership. Traditional Port Adelaide people felt the club was being pulled towards a more closed off and exclusive path and this put them off side.

There was a particular Caroline Wilson article that laid it out well, I will try and find it.

Of course, being putrid post the 2007 grand final belting knocked the club around as well.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Being crap had a fair bit to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps T&T might be able to shed some light on it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps T&T might be able to shed some light on it.

On being crap? That's a bit rough...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Suz! Great to hear from you.

Have you swung Mark over to us this year?
    Hello! Yes, it's been awhile. Hope you're well! And no, he still barracks for the Poos & Wees. But was very happy for the Bulldogs - even wore one of my scarves in to the MCG when meeting me after the grand final. ��

17. Likes N/A, dadsgirl16, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    Hello! Yes, it's been awhile. Hope you're well! And no, he still barracks for the Poos & Wees. But was very happy for the Bulldogs - even wore one of my scarves in to the MCG when meeting me after the grand final. ��
    I respect that.
    "It's over. It's all over."