Thanks Thanks:  420
Likes Likes:  323
Page 1 of 46 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Events Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Events Thread

If you attend an event and want to let your fellow WOOF posters know of any juicy news post in this thread.

Could Mods Please Sticky
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes cinder, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Events Thread

inside the kennel - recruits edition

Date: Thursday 8th December, 2016Location: The Yarraville Club
    Time: 6:30pm – 8:30pm

This is your chance to hear from our new recruits who will speak on a panel. You will also hear from Western Bulldogs List Manager Jason McCartney.

Book here

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes N/A, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On Friday Dec 2 I attended a fundraiser for the children's ward at the Bendigo Hospital. The venue was the All Seasons Hotel. Brian Taylor was in great form and did a superb job as MC. The players were MAGNIFICENT. They were very obliging signing autographs, memorabilia, doing photographs etc. Lots of questions answered. All upbeat about arrival of Travis Cloke and Bob's re-start. Jake Stringer's Mum was glowing in her praise of how the Club looks after new draftees and the parents of players. There was a great feel to the night even to the extent of older supporters who were at the '54 Grand Final being presented with flowers or a bottle of wine. It really was a credit to the organisers
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    On Friday Dec 2 I attended a fundraiser for the children's ward at the Bendigo Hospital. The venue was the All Seasons Hotel. Brian Taylor was in great form and did a superb job as MC. The players were MAGNIFICENT. They were very obliging signing autographs, memorabilia, doing photographs etc. Lots of questions answered. All upbeat about arrival of Travis Cloke and Bob's re-start. Jake Stringer's Mum was glowing in her praise of how the Club looks after new draftees and the parents of players. There was a great feel to the night even to the extent of older supporters who were at the '54 Grand Final being presented with flowers or a bottle of wine. It really was a credit to the organisers
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip
    Your reference to our '54 Premiership reminded me to update you on the fading health condition of Harvey Stevens suffering from malignant cancer in hospital. I was able to visit him last week and in spite of his condition expressed his great love for the Western Bulldogs and was delighted to sit with his 54 team mates to witness our 2016 flag with their spouses. It was a great tonic for such a fine person who is so greatly admired by his peers.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Events Thread

Thrilled to hear that Harvey got to watch the game with his mates.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

8. Likes Eastdog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice read merantau and NBP thanks for sharing.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    inside the kennel - recruits edition

Date: Thursday 8th December, 2016Location: The Yarraville Club
    Time: 6:30pm – 8:30pm

This is your chance to hear from our new recruits who will speak on a panel. You will also hear from Western Bulldogs List Manager Jason McCartney.

Book here
    Anyone attend and willing to write up a short report?

Post Thanks / Like

This was a good night attended by around 300 people with a guest appearance by the premiership cup!

Kevin Hillier was MC and started with list mgr, Jason McCartney who discussed the hard decision to let Wil go and his hope that both Hrovat and Stevens get greater opportunities at their new clubs. He also mentioned someone had feedback from Hamling on his first weeks at Freo where he described it being far more tougher than the training at the dogs. He spoke really well about the process of list mgt including the need to sign 14 or so players onto contract extensions in 2017. He did let slip that there was an impending announcement around a contract extension for a premiership player which was confirmed on the night as Magic McLean via a Bulldog tweet.

After a break, Kevin had Cloke, English and Lipinski up front. Cloke was impressive in describing his last year at the Woods and where his mindset landed after his conversation with Bevo which confirmed him wanting to be part of the dogs list.

There were other questions Kevin posed to Clokey and each response was greeted with applause such was his honesty and down to earth responses.

English was asked about the go home factor in a round about way and answered quite encouragingly that he was committed to playing in Victoria.

of course the Lipinski interview focussed some time on his support of the dogs growing up and he quite genuinely described his personal pleasure at our GF win.

Both players said said their focus for 2017 was to put on some weight/strength and work hard on the training track.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    He also mentioned someone had feedback from Hamling on his first weeks at Freo where he described it being far more tougher than the training at the dogs. .
    Thanks Smads57 for the report. Training doesn't necessarily have to be harder or hard etc, it is the type of training you do and the results you achieve.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This was a good night attended by around 300 people with a guest appearance by the premiership cup!

Kevin Hillier was MC and started with list mgr, Jason McCartney who discussed the hard decision to let Wil go and his hope that both Hrovat and Stevens get greater opportunities at their new clubs. He also mentioned someone had feedback from Hamling on his first weeks at Freo where he described it being far more tougher than the training at the dogs. He spoke really well about the process of list mgt including the need to sign 14 or so players onto contract extensions in 2017. He did let slip that there was an impending announcement around a contract extension for a premiership player which was confirmed on the night as Magic McLean via a Bulldog tweet.

After a break, Kevin had Cloke, English and Lipinski up front. Cloke was impressive in describing his last year at the Woods and where his mindset landed after his conversation with Bevo which confirmed him wanting to be part of the dogs list.

There were other questions Kevin posed to Clokey and each response was greeted with applause such was his honesty and down to earth responses.

English was asked about the go home factor in a round about way and answered quite encouragingly that he was committed to playing in Victoria.

of course the Lipinski interview focussed some time on his support of the dogs growing up and he quite genuinely described his personal pleasure at our GF win.

Both players said said their focus for 2017 was to put on some weight/strength and work hard on the training track.
    He told McCartney that?

Also reminds me of someone but I can't think who...

15. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Smads57 for the report. Training doesn't necessarily have to be harder or hard etc, it is the type of training you do and the results you achieve.
    To be fair though, training in Perth involves having Ben Cousins chasing you off his head while making violent threats. Good for initial sprinting, repeat sprints and endurance all in one. It's much harder.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report Smads57.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi BAD, I need to better clarify what Jason inferred with his comment re Hamling. I have used the words 'more tougher' but it was to describe the atmosphere at the club, not the actual training. We have a football team with genuine love for playing the game and with each other. I would suspect this is not the case currently at Freo after their 2016 season.

Another comment by Jason that I failed to mention was his description of the versatility of our list - specifically our midfielders. He mentioned we had the least number of genuine 'midfielders only' on our list with players like Dahl, Libba, Wally etc being mid/fwds. He stated we only had four genuine mids....I have struggled to identify these four myself (Macrae would be one?). This particular comment by Jason was brought about when he discussed the selection of Lipinsky who played midfield and forward in the TAC this year.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

20. Thanks bornadog, KT31, Go_Dogs, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another comment by Jason that I failed to mention was his description of the versatility of our list - specifically our midfielders. He mentioned we had the least number of genuine 'midfielders only' on our list with players like Dahl, Libba, Wally etc being mid/fwds. He stated we only had four genuine mids....I have struggled to identify these four myself (Macrae would be one?). This particular comment by Jason was brought about when he discussed the selection of Lipinsky who played midfield and forward in the TAC this year.
    Our draft a couple of years back where we selected 5 small or mid sized forward/midfielder types always seemed to me to be a planned effort. My guess is that 4th player J-Mac mentioned would be either Caleb Daniel or more likely Jack Macrae as you have suggested.
    With reduced interchange numbers the advantages of having 9 or 10 players more than capable of rotating through midfield duties and still being productive up forward has clearly been a focus. Some teams might have a stronger best 4 or 5 midfielders but we would likely wear them down throughout a game with sheer numbers.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

22. Likes Raw Toast, Smads57, KT31, merantau, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"we would likely wear them down throughout a game with sheer numbers" of talented, contested ball fleet. Yes that'd be us.
    Footscray Football Republic.