Thanks Thanks:  420
Likes Likes:  323
Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Events Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Events Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Went along to the East meets West day at Wesley College, Glen Waverley. Not much to report on. No speeches were made. Had a sausage sizzle, there was a raffle and Bulldogs merchandise to buy. Crowd I don't believe as big compared to January 2017 - no premiership cup this year. Just mainly the kids clinic with the few players that came and got some signatures from Jack Redpath, Fletcher Roberts, Lukas Webb and Zaine Cordy. Clay Smith was there also but couldn't manage to get a signature. Callum Porter also came.
    Thanks for the update.

Not many players there? This has really been dumbed down compared to the past before Bevo was coach.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thanks for the update.

Not many players there? This has really been dumbed down compared to the past before Bevo was coach.
    Yeah for sure BAD. It is dissapointing for the East West club as I think years ago the whole team used to come out this way Jells Park before I used to start going only a few years ago. They certainly can improve the day a bit more.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to jump in here and make a general comment on the East Meets West (EMW) Day (having been a former East West Club (EWC) Committee member for 20 years and therefore being 'inside' the four walls when it comes to organising this event).

The following might also help clarify a couple of things around the running of this annual event.

As Easty has mentioned there was a time when the whole team was made available by the football club for this event, which in fact started in the car park at the then VFL Park in the 80's before progressing to Jells Park and more recently, Wesley College.

As WOOFERS would be aware, the growing 'professionalism' of the code and the requirement by the players union and AFL that player appearances are managed, has made it increasingly difficult to 'predict' who the football club will make available for the EMW event and equally what players will be allowed to participate in. This has become more noticeable in the last 5-6 years.

The EWC Committee is actually quite fortunate to have established a 'tradition' that our football Club has been good enough to continue supporting in good faith over the years, but the football Club rightly sets the 'rules' for when the event will be held, how long it will run for, what the format will consist of and which players and coaching staff will be available to participate.

My own reading of the play is the EMW event offers a 'boutique' opportunity for supporters (especially children) to mix with selected players without the crowds associated with Family Days at WO.

I could not imagine a Collingwood or Carlton supporter group having the same access to members of their playing list.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

6. Thanks boydogs, N/A, Eastdog, bornadog, Max469, choconmientay thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

East West Club Website:

https://eastwestbulldogs.com
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Went last night to the final instalment of Inside the Kennel. Rohan Smith was interviewed first and spoke with his usual level of enthusiasm about the coming season. Some things he mentioned- coaches maintaining same roles as 2017, goal kicking was an acknowledged concern and they were working on it, Redpath was not a surprising choice for the leadership group given his standing within the playing group, Lipinski an example of younger players pushing for senior spots eg in competition with Clay Smith for his position.
    He also spent some time talking about his son who will be playing VFL this year.
    Next came three players in Crozier, Naughton and Richards. All 3 spoke well about their initial experiences as WO. Naughton has a groin injury which he has been managing since he first came over while Richards has developed similar soreness which flared up this week. The team will be down the surf coast next week for a final training bloc before breaking for Xmas.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

What did Bub say about his son?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

He mentioned Jacob receiving his VCE results today, that although he was 18 and had a car, he didn’t have a licence yet so used dad’s taxi service, that he found it difficult being in the VFL coaches box when Jacob was playing, that if he sees Jacob going for second helping of ice cream at home, he asks him if that’s the right thing for his footy. There was probably one or two other anecdotes but these are the ones I remember best.

11. Thanks Eastdog, hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report Smads57. You are a very good contributor to woof particularly on the events thread.

Will be keen to hear from woofers who go to the open training session at Whitten Oval tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Wallis is the first one to come out at the oval.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

... and gone back in after a bit of warm up

Post Thanks / Like

Decent turnout today, a lot of people got there early.

The players sponsors could utilise the large balcony with light refreshments and bacon and egg rolls.

I watched a lot of the training. Focused a bit on Schache who moves nicely and is a good user of the ball.
    Ed Richards and Aaron Naughton were in the rehab drills and running along with Redpath and Adams.

In some of the running drills both Wallis and Campbell stood out in the 100mtrs yo-yo type running by pushing up the front and staying there.

Libba has a bit more size and weight on him and looks to be in excellent condition. Sucklings and JJ's hair needs a rethink.
    Dickson is slim and fit, Jong looks to have added some muscle. Tom Boyd looks a picture of health which is fantastic.

Players that joined the sponsors area after the training session included Tim English who looks to be vastly bigger across the shoulders, Caleb Daniel who is a ball of muscle and Tory Dickson who I mentioned before. All 3 mixed well with the group.

I'm pretty sure I spied Rhylee West and Buku Khamis but it was difficult to pick some players. It took me a while to identify Mitch Honeychurch who has a different hair style.

Membership is actually up and I was told it was 6% up on the same time last year which is fantastic, I think we are hopeful of holding last years numbers which would consolidate our position. There is a real positive vibe with the supporters and staff I talked to particularly around the player changes we have made, the debt reduction, a new stadium deal and the way the players have refocused.

I've always thought the sign of a successful business is the way staff talk about their work place and based on the way 3 or 4 staff members talked about how they loved coming to work and and how energetic and focused the environment is then I think we could see a decent bounce in performance in 2018.

There are plenty of things about this club to get excited about WOOFers.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    ... and gone back in after a bit of warm up
    Choco, are you going to spoil us again with some photo's?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Choco, are you going to spoil us again with some photo's?
    You put me on the spot there but I will try my best .... a bit later ... maybe this evening

18. Likes bulldogtragic, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    You put me on the spot there but I will try my best .... a bit later ... maybe this evening
    Thanks, I didn't want to test the friendship

20. Likes choconmientay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know why Bondi didn’t train?...he came out later and did the autograph signing