Thanks Thanks:  420
Likes Likes:  323
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Events Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Events Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Nail -> head.

Do they check your suburb passport at the door of this event? Seems like the best one of the year now!

I've worked in the east for 25 years so that should count ;P
    One of the committee members (she might actually be the president) for the Barwon Bulldogs won one of the raffles for a $50 voucher at the Mulgrave Country Club which she donated back so there are no postcode barriers on being a member or even just attending the night. On my table last night there were two Melbourne supporters (daughter who was also there supports the Dogs) who have had a long association with the EW club.
    I remember going there a number of years back and there was something like 38 tables of 8 and the place was packed.
    It's a shame that Bevo more or less shut down the East West training day which was also a special event held at Wesley College.
    The EW president Tony mentioned they are hoping to bring that back in some form next year.

I even met WOOF member Josie there (Fergus Greene was on the table) a few years back and it wasn't until later in presentation when she mentioned she was on WOOF that we worked out who we both were It's a small world.
    The more the merrier I think. For $75 last night we got the President, CEO, 5 legends, Kevin Hillier as host and a 3 course meal sitting with very like minded people. Great value from my perspective especially knowing that through the various fund raisers the EW club makes a financial donation to the club and even sponsors an AFLW player.

The EW club should be far better known for all our our supporters. I didn't see him last night but a couple of times there has been a guy who travels down from Swan Hill to be a part of the night. Used to drive back home straight after the function, now that is commitment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes The bulldog tragician, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just on Kylie, I think the knocks on her is that she isn't as visible to our supporters as many would like to see and based on last night there is some merit in that observation. She was impressive and informative last night and I would really like to see her getting a bit closer to the rank and file supporters more than just corporate's. Now this might be hard for her to manage with her schedule but she could make a more positive impression on all of our supporters.
    That's fair. She did tend to stay at her table rather than mingling with the supporters - although so did Bains.
    I think we have been blessed with very visible and vocal presidents, but KWW is in line with >50% of other presidents in my eyes.

I will look into joining as an EW member in the future. I have attended a few of these dinners over the years, and used to enjoy the Wesley training days, so it would be good to support them.

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    That's fair. She did tend to stay at her table rather than mingling with the supporters - although so did Bains.
    I think we have been blessed with very visible and vocal presidents, but KWW is in line with >50% of other presidents in my eyes.

I will look into joining as an EW member in the future. I have attended a few of these dinners over the years, and used to enjoy the Wesley training days, so it would be good to support them.
    Kylie was there with her family so I gather it would have been a bit harder for her to mingle with more of the attendees.
    Maybe that isn't her strong point either whereas it's certainly that way with Sue Alberti.

We have to accept that not everyone at the senior level with be as close to the supporter as Peter Gordon and Sue Alberti were but we should also be comfortable knowing that the club is being well managed by Watson-Wheeler and Bains.

6. Likes jazzadogs, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

I will look into joining as an EW member in the future.
    It's an elite club jazz, I only let a few people in a year. What makes you think you're EW material?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Great summary GVGjr and Jazzadogs.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 04-08-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I live on the other side of town and was initially invited to attend the EW dinner by a fellow cheer squad member who does live on east side and with whom I still attend. Have not missed one since. As a non EW member I pay $5 extra and it is super value. Gvgjr’s & Jazzadog’s reports brilliant. Highly recommended event. EW club raises funds for the club too which is great.

10. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see Westy participate, he must have cooled down after his social media meltdown now that Rhylee is playing well.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Nice to see Westy participate, he must have cooled down after his social media meltdown now that Rhylee is playing well.
    He was impressive and stayed later despite having an early start to work the next morning. Doug left not long after his time being interviewed with Royal and Libba because he also had an early start.
    He was clearly very proud of what Rhylee is achieving.

14. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was impressive and stayed later despite having an early start to work the next morning. Doug left not long after his time being interviewed with Royal and Libba because he also had an early start.
    He was clearly very proud of what Rhylee is achieving.
    I wonder if he now agrees with the club’s approach to Rhylee’s development or still thinks he was hard done by?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if he now agrees with the club’s approach to Rhylee’s development or still thinks he was hard done by?
    I think he was a bit hard done by, so I understood where Scott was coming from. He clearly could have been prioritised earlier, however, Rhylee has battled through it, matured, and its helped make him an even better footballer.

Be nice to see him back to his best this week against Freo after a quiet few

Post Thanks / Like

Westy gave some very frank, heartfelt reflections on that at another event recently (believe it was at the Braybrook Hotel)

Said those comments had soured his relationship with Bevo and made things challenging for his partner, that he has regrets and understands it wasn't the right thing to do. Gave some insight into how he was feeling as a parent and fan but ultimately accepted responsibility for how he managed it and accepts the consequences.

Or words to that effect, saw it mentioned on BF and twitter. Was going to go along to that function but couldn't get there.

18. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Westy gave some very frank, heartfelt reflections on that at another event recently (believe it was at the Braybrook Hotel)

Said those comments had soured his relationship with Bevo and made things challenging for his partner, that he has regrets and understands it wasn't the right thing to do. Gave some insight into how he was feeling as a parent and fan but ultimately accepted responsibility for how he managed it and accepts the consequences.

Or words to that effect, saw it mentioned on BF and twitter. Was going to go along to that function but couldn't get there.
    The ugly sports parent never ceases to amaze
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

West spoke very briefly and positively about Bevo at the dinner. I think he is trying to rebuild bridges.

He also spoke about being driven to be the best at what he does including post footy.

I recall an age article where he opened up about his depression in 2001. This 2004 article refers to the earlier article. Could not find earlier one. I thought at the time it was a brave thing to do and could help others (footy players and fans) to encourage them to seek help. It was also prior to now commonplace publicity encouraging openness and where to seek help.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...23-gdxwf3.html

Although Westie also spoke at last EW dinner there seemed to be little duplication and I’ve found Scott an intelligent, thoughtful and entertaining speaker.

21. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog4life, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As Josie mentioned, West was full of praise about Bevo. While we would all hope that he didn't go public with his thoughts we shouldn't hold it against him now. Maybe there was a lesson he learned.

23. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As Josie mentioned, West was full of praise about Bevo. While we would all hope that he didn't go public with his thoughts we shouldn't hold it against him now. Maybe there was a lesson he learned.
    Just a typical parent having a rant about their son. I am sure he regrets it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.