Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo Nominated for Coach of Year in all Australian Sport for 2016

PREMIERSHIP-winning coach Luke Beveridge has been nominated as coach of the year in the 2016 AIS Sport Performance Awards.

The 46-year-old coached the Western Bulldogs to its drought-breaking flag in just his second season as a senior AFL coach.

After a spate of injuries the Bulldogs had an amazing finals series, coming from behind in every game to win four consecutive matches and landing the club's first premiership for 62 years.

Beveridge then made the post-siren gesture of handing his medal to injured captain Bob Murphy, who had been sidelined since round three.

He was named AFL Coach of the Year and won a Sports Australia Hall of Fame ‘Spirit of Sport’ Award in October.

He has been nominated as a finalist alongside Michael Blackburn (Olympic sailing), Tim Walsh (Olympic Women’s Rugby Sevens) and Brad Dubberly (Paralympics Wheelchair Rugby) in the award that will be presented in Sydney on December 14.

Acting Australian Sports Commission CEO Matt Favier said representatives from 15 sports were among this year’s award nominees.

"The AIS Sport Performance Awards is an opportunity for the Australian sport sector to come together and celebrate remarkable achievements," Favier said.

The Western Bulldogs were also nominated for Sports Team of the Year award, which is chosen through a popular vote.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks N/A, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Remi Moses, choconmientay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo Nominated for Coach of Year in all Australian Sport for 2016

Would you say that we came from behind in every final?

We controlled most of the Elimanation Final after conceding the first couple of goals but they were due to us turning the ball over in the middle of the ground* rather than WC controlling the play. The Hawthorn game was all over as a contest by halfway through the third quarter although I guess they were four goals up when Puoplolo(?) missed that set shot in the second quarter-a five goal deficit would have been interesting to overcome.

*for anyone interested in demented superstitions. I usually watch the football on TV with a footy in my hands but when West Coast kicked that second goal I threw the footy down the hallway in frustration where it sat until the game was over. After the game was finished I looked at the ball and thought "it couldn't have been that, could it?" So I did the only rational thing I could have done and left the ball in situ where it sat in the hallway and steadfastly refused to consider moving it for the next four weeks. That was my contribution to us winning the premiership.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes KT31, N/A, ratsmac, Eastdog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    PREMIERSHIP-winning coach Luke Beveridge has been nominated as coach of the year in the 2016 AIS Sport Performance Awards.

The 46-year-old coached the Western Bulldogs to its drought-breaking flag in just his second season as a senior AFL coach.

After a spate of injuries the Bulldogs had an amazing finals series, coming from behind in every game to win four consecutive matches and landing the club's first premiership for 62 years.

Beveridge then made the post-siren gesture of handing his medal to injured captain Bob Murphy, who had been sidelined since round three.

He was named AFL Coach of the Year and won a Sports Australia Hall of Fame ‘Spirit of Sport’ Award in October.

He has been nominated as a finalist alongside Michael Blackburn (Olympic sailing), Tim Walsh (Olympic Women’s Rugby Sevens) and Brad Dubberly (Paralympics Wheelchair Rugby) in the award that will be presented in Sydney on December 14.

Acting Australian Sports Commission CEO Matt Favier said representatives from 15 sports were among this year’s award nominees.

"The AIS Sport Performance Awards is an opportunity for the Australian sport sector to come together and celebrate remarkable achievements," Favier said.

The Western Bulldogs were also nominated for Sports Team of the Year award, which is chosen through a popular vote.
    Don' forget to vote for the Bulldogs. http://aisawards.abc.net.au/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Would you say that we came from behind in every final?

We controlled most of the Elimanation Final after conceding the first couple of goals but they were due to us turning the ball over in the middle of the ground* rather than WC controlling the play. The Hawthorn game was all over as a contest by halfway through the third quarter although I guess they were four goals up when Puoplolo(?) missed that set shot in the second quarter-a five goal deficit would have been interesting to overcome.

*for anyone interested in demented superstitions. I usually watch the football on TV with a footy in my hands but when West Coast kicked that second goal I threw the footy down the hallway in frustration where it sat until the game was over. After the game was finished I looked at the ball and thought "it couldn't have been that, could it?" So I did the only rational thing I could have done and the ball in situ where it sat in the hallway and steadfastly refused to consider moving it for the next four weeks. That was my contribution to us winning the premiership.
    2 goals down early against WCE. They looked ominous.
    4 goals down against Hawks in the second quarter, and absolutely game over if Bruest kicks it.
    2 goals+ down in the last quarter against GWS. Everyone but us thought we were gone.
    Down at half time against Sydney, with a big second quarter from them.

It's an reasonably accurate statement from the journo.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
    Done. Vote early, vote often.

8. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you comrade. I also have voted for the local heroes. And hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess they were four goals up when Puoplolo(?) missed that set shot in the second quarter-a five goal deficit would have been interesting to overcome.
    Bruest.

Thank you comrade. I also have voted for the local heroes. And hero.
    Wasn't Comrade it was BT

Done
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bruest.

Wasn't Comrade it was BT

Done
    It wasn't comrade with a capatilist, sorry, capital C though.

Didn't think it was Puoplolo.

Post Thanks / Like

Done for the Team.
    Done for Bevo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Done for the Team.
    Done for Bevo.
    I thought i read it as the coaches award was selected by a panel and not a public vote, if not were can I vote ?
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I thought i read it as the coaches award was selected by a panel and not a public vote, if not were can I vote ?
    Do'h!!!
    My bad,don't know where I got that from

15. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got into to the site but having some trouble voting.

Yes absolutely well deserved nomination and I wish Bevo good luck. What a coach.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure everyone you know including family, friends or whoever votes too.

Post Thanks / Like

Did we win? I think we just might have...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Your favourite teams

Two teams utterly dominated the voting for your favourite team of the year, with 20 per cent of the nominees scooping up over half the votes.

Western Bulldogs (29.2%)
    Everyone loves the Western Bulldogs. Not only did they win the premiership, not only did they break a 62-year drought, not only did they do it from seventh, not only did they do it with entertaining footy, but they did it with a bloody likable bunch of blokes.

Fan favourite skipper Bob Murphy was sidelined but at the game, prompting emotional scenes when coach Luke Beveridge gave the hobbled captain his Jock McHale Medal.

And then Tom Liberatore and his haircut kept entertaining us long after the final siren.

It was a great win for a great group.

20. Likes KT31 liked this post