Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heritier Lumumba could take legal action over concussion treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You're obviously not as well Harry'd as Harry is. He's so Harry he doesn't need spice to navigate hyperspace.
    Genius
    . Hahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a really interesting piece on Lumumba that tells his story from a different perspective. A cursory glance back through this thread makes me wonder if we were a little unkind at best, or completely manipulated into perceiving him to be a certain way at worst (or is that the other way around?).........

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-...d-afl/12820942

I can definitely admit that I was manipulated into thinking from a certain perspective over his wishes to meet the sitting president of the United States.......fairly or otherwise.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Thanks hujsh, Rocket Science, azabob, Bulldog Joe thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a really interesting piece on Lumumba that tells his story from a different perspective. A cursory glance back through this thread makes me wonder if we were a little unkind at best, or completely manipulated into perceiving him to be a certain way at worst (or is that the other way around?).........

I can definitely admit that I was manipulated into thinking from a certain perspective over his wishes to meet the sitting president of the United States.......fairly or otherwise.
    That Collingwood have spent more energy trying to discredit Lumumba rather than owning their shit speaks volumes here.

Then again, what else would you expect from a McGuire-led organisation mollycoddled by a league equally unwilling to acknowledge, let alone action real, long-overdue change.

If there's no league pressure on Collingwood, as opposed to the tacit fraternal wink-nudge that pervades everything the league does, they're never going to own it, not under the current President.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes jeemak, Testekill, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The club just needs to stand up and say look, we need to reset all of our values and make amends. This isn't just something that should be done to find the path to atonement for the Lumumba situation, but also those who felt discriminated against due to their sexuality right up to the shoddy treatment of the likes of Adam Treloar.

Eddie needs to go, because he's just too far under a dark cloud for him not to. He could be capable of change, but any change in him wouldn't come quickly enough and the likes of Buckley whose position should be tenuous at best right now, won't have any chance of being better unless somebody new comes in and enforces meaningful action against the BS that has pervaded the club for decades.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeemak the sad thing is does Collingwoods values reflect the AFL and majority of the community?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    That Collingwood have spent more energy trying to discredit Lumumba rather than owning their shit speaks volumes here.

Then again, what else would you expect from a McGuire-led organisation mollycoddled by a league equally unwilling to acknowledge, let alone action real, long-overdue change.

If there's no league pressure on Collingwood, as opposed to the tacit fraternal wink-nudge that pervades everything the league does, they're never going to own it, not under the current President.
    While Collingwood and their President have a lot to answer for, I believe it is a bigger issue for the entire competition and the community at large.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Jeemak the sad thing is does Collingwoods values reflect the AFL and majority of the community?
    I've got no doubt that Collingwood are not a sui generis case among AFL clubs. Lumumba was just brave enough to speak out.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood and the AFL Media got away with manipulating the story, I bet that they probably would have used the word "uppity" if they could have gotten away with it.

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yeah probably.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    While Collingwood and their President have a lot to answer for, I believe it is a bigger issue for the entire competition and the community at large.
    This is entirely the point.

The league *could* lead on this issue, but they're disinclined to jeopardise their privilege, their cosy corporate and government connections or the planning and $$$ involved in substantive, structural progress.

Instead we get 'Free the Flag' for a week so they can lobby to sell sweatshop manufactured merch without having to pay licensing fees, otherwise S I L E N C E.

That silence means they're effectively running interference for Collingwood and anyone else neck deep in this.

That there's zero impetus or incentive to improve the record makes the deeds of Lumumba, Goodes, Betts or anyone else who dares speak out, doubly brave knowing any support offered will be token and sparing at best and probably not worth the price.

It's f***ing deplorable.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

I met Harry once at a poetry reading in Melbourne. Really nice guy.
    I am surprised he let it get as far as it got at Collingwood.
    If it were me I would not let one of these taunts pass ( being called n***ger in a workplace ).
    Call in the lawyers straight away.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    If it were me I would not let one of these taunts pass ( being called n***ger in a workplace ).
    Did.... Did you just call him Harry?
    "It's over. It's all over."

19. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Very easy to say from the outside looking in. Probably harder to confront in his position.