afl.com.au

WEIGHTS and eating, eating and weights.

That's the schedule for the Western Bulldogs' top draft pick Tim English over the next few months.

The lightly built ruckman was seen as a steal for the premiers at pick 19 in Friday's NAB AFL draft, but the 205cm West Australian tips the scales at around 90kg, and knows exactly what's on the agenda when he arrives at Whitten Oval on Monday.

English told AFL.com.au in Sydney that the experience he gained late this season with South Fremantle in the WAFL was extremely beneficial, and he's prepared to bide his time developing in the VFL in 2017.

"Playing senior footy against bigger bodies certainly helped me with South Fremantle, given the size aspect is probably a weakness of mine," he said.

"Going up against stronger players helped me learn about my body positioning and things like that, so that developed my game in a way.

"I have to increase my physical size, so I'll be getting in the gym and making sure my diet is right once I get to Melbourne."

English has quality foot skills for a big man and the Dogs were ecstatic to see him still on the draft table when their first selection came up.

The quietly spoken big man has been likened to former West Coast champion Dean Cox because of his ability to cover territory and use the footy by hand and foot, and that's exactly the type of ruckman he hopes to be in the AFL.

"I want to provide that link up role around the ground, and do plenty of follow up work as well," he said.

"A big factor for the Bulldogs is contested possession, and obviously they've been really successful at that, and mobility is another one.

"They're two of my strengths that I can work on, so hopefully I can add something to the team."

While any young draftee faces a daunting task in adjusting to AFL level, English has the added pressure of going to this year's flag winners, but the teenager said he saw no downside in going to the premiers.

"I see it as a massive positive," he said.

"They've been really successful this year and seem to have a really strong group led by 'Bevo' (Luke Beveridge), who is such a well-respected coach.

"I met him for the first time at the draft, so I'm just excited to get there and get to work under him."