Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  321
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Tim English

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Just read that Tim English is a free agent after the 2024 season, and that West Coast are planning on throwing every kitchen sink on the planet at him (rumours of up to 7 year $10 million contract).

Are we any chance to keep him? Do we start collecting 20c coins now?
    If true, how could he say no? He's a Restricted Free Agent but I doubt we could match an offer of that magnitude.
    For those who have been against us drafting ruckman and see it as a wasted spot under Bevo this is one of the reasons why we need to get busy and draft a genuine ruckman. It's not just injuries you have to cover.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes azabob, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If true, how could he say no? He's a Restricted Free Agent but I doubt we could match an offer of that magnitude.
    For those who have been against us drafting ruckman and see it as a wasted spot under Bevo this is one of the reasons why we need to get busy and draft a genuine ruckman.
    I can see Darcy becoming a ruckman
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I can see Darcy becoming a ruckman
    Yes, you've mentioned that from day one. I think it would be a waste if we used him that way and he just doesn't have the build for it and that might take a few years. He's got to get some continuity in his football before that. I think he's more of a Rory Lobb type forward/ruck.

6. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you've mentioned that from day one. I think it would be a waste if we used him that way and he just doesn't have the build for it and that might take a few years. He's got to get some continuity in his football before that. I think he's more of a Rory Lobb type forward/ruck.
    We have been patient with Tim and pampered him to where he is now. He is a must keep.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We have been patient with Tim and pampered him to where he is now. He is a must keep.
    We've been patient to the point that he's close to being a RFA just as he hit his straps.

Post Thanks / Like

Respectfully disagree.
    Darcy has the potential to be the mobile marking tall and probably a better pure tap ruckman.
    English has better running for both speed and capacity, but Darcy should be better suited to ruck than any other position.
    He should develop into a goalkicking ruckman unless we decide he is the long term full forward.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Tim helps us win another premiership this year or next he can move to Wet Toast with my blessing. Will be even more enticing if we end up with a few really high end draft picks or equivalent value as compensation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    If Tim helps us win another premiership this year or next he can move to Wet Toast with my blessing. Will be even more enticing if we end up with a few really high end draft picks or equivalent value as compensation.
    If he left next year as FA and we win a flag, the compo for him would be Pick 19. Shuffled down after matched bids and any other higher compo to other teams. So a single pick in the 20?s in real terms.

He?s worth a lot more trades this year? But if sign him if his salary request was reasonable.

(We could threaten to match the bid and force a trade, but it?s going to be less than trading this year if trade value is an issue)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Respectfully disagree.
    Darcy has the potential to be the mobile marking tall and probably a better pure tap ruckman.
    English has better running for both speed and capacity, but Darcy should be better suited to ruck than any other position.
    He should develop into a goalkicking ruckman unless we decide he is the long term full forward.
    We are poles apart on how we see Darcy at this stage.
    He's had no continuity of football since he arrived including navicular, lung and now jaw plus some challenges during the pre-season so I don't get the notion of throwing him into a position that requires a higher level of physicality being a good one for him. He might get there but I wouldn't use a bunch of picks to get pick 2 for a ruck man given he didn't even play there as a junior.
    I'd be more inclined to groom him as the Lobb replacement but respect where you are coming from.

16. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Just read that Tim English is a free agent after the 2024 season, and that West Coast are planning on throwing every kitchen sink on the planet at him (rumours of up to 7 year $10 million contract).

Are we any chance to keep him? Do we start collecting 20c coins now?
    Are you suggesting that they will try to get him on that contract this year as a pre-agent?

If Tim did seek a trade to Wce this year, what do we see as best case scenario? Pick 1 by itself? Pick 1 plus others?

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's more of a Rory Lobb type forward/ruck.
    Well, aren’t you a ray of sunshine!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Well, aren’t you a ray of sunshine!
    Not sure how to respond to this
    A forward who pitches in as a ruck is about where I see Darcy in the short to medium term. The fact that he can also play as a defender is impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

We are poles apart on how we see Darcy at this stage.
    He's had no continuity of football since he arrived including navicular, lung and now jaw plus some challenges during the pre-season so I don't get the notion of throwing him into a position that requires a higher level of physicality being a good one for him. He might get there but I wouldn't use a bunch of picks to get pick 2 for a ruck man given he didn't even play there as a junior.
    I'd be more inclined to groom him as the Lobb replacement but respect where you are coming from.
    While I agree that he has had some challenges and is a way off.

As he develops I certainly expect him to be much more than anything Rory Lobb can offer.

For pick 2 we should get a match winner and Darcy needs to be the goalkicking ruck or pure forward in the ilk of Paul Salmon.

I certainly hope he provides more reliability from about 2025 onwards.

My standard for him would be the best Joe Daniher but on a regular basis.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

21. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    While I agree that he has had some challenges and is a way off.

As he develops I certainly expect him to be much more than anything Rory Lobb can offer.

For pick 2 we should get a match winner and Darcy needs to be the goalkicking ruck or pure forward in the ilk of Paul Salmon.

I certainly hope he provides more reliability from about 2025 onwards.

My standard for him would be the best Joe Daniher but on a regular basis.
    That part makes the most sense, we need to be patient with him and almost manage him towards 2025. Throwing him into the ruck other than some supporting cameo's now and I suspect even next year probably won't achieve that.

I notice during the preseason that when he was on his marking was quite impressive and similar to what we have seen from Marra this year with an uncanny ability to mark the ball at a full stretch. This is why I'm vastly more bullish for him to be used anywhere other than in the ruck before he physically matures.

As for the Daniher comparison, when he is in full flight he looks so impressive. That would be huge to get Darcy somewhere near that standard.

Post Thanks / Like

24. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post