Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  321
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Tim English

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Clearly Longmire didn?t give a fat rat?s clacker about who won the hit outs, because they really don?t matter that much, as evidenced by the match result. He was more interested in restricting Tim?s dominance around the ground. I can?t believe the discussion that goes on here about woe is us, we have the best ruckman in the league, if only we could trade him for a much more limited player who would win us more meaningless hit outs.
    In late 2021 Essendon stripped us of the double chance because of dominance at the centre bounce. Even though the dogs won every other aspect of the game. A few weeks later Melbourne repeated the punishment in the GF. Our best season in 15 years re-defined by 30 minutes in the centre ruck contests.

And some have said on here that the club is still recovering from the blows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    In late 2021 Essendon stripped us of the double chance because of dominance at the centre bounce. Even though the dogs won every other aspect of the game. A few weeks later Melbourne repeated the punishment in the GF. Our best season in 15 years re-defined by 30 minutes in the centre ruck contests.

And some have said on here that the club is still recovering from the blows.
    That is your opinion re the two games mentioned, and even then completely disregards the impact, or lack of impact, from our midfielders. It also completely ignores all the other games played that year that actually got us into the finals and then eventually into the GF. You have a love of quoting individual player stats from cherry picked games. I look forward to seeing you regularly quoting Tim’s 60 hit out AFL game, a club record, as comparison when you quote the hit out numbers for our second string ruckman in VFL games.

This is the Welcome to Tim English thread, how about quoting Jordan Sweets stats each week in the Welcome to Jordan Street thread, then those who want to can read them and join with you in bemoaning the greatest travesty in AFL history.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

3. Likes jeemak, Axe Man, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's less about hitouts and more about the physical presence in and around centre clearance and stoppage. English has been bullied in this regard too often and despite having a good year, it's still not an area I trust him in. He can, at times, be empathically beaten. The issue is that some hail him as the best ruck in the league while others trash him. Truth is in the middle - he's not the best, he's not the worst.

A far bigger issue is our midfield group.
    W00F!

5. Likes Sedat, JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    It's less about hitouts and more about the physical presence in and around centre clearance and stoppage. English has been bullied in this regard too often and despite having a good year, it's still not an area I trust him in. He can, at times, be empathically beaten. The issue is that some hail him as the best ruck in the league while others trash him. Truth is in the middle - he's not the best, he's not the worst.

It will be interesting to see what the All Australian Selectors think regarding who is, and who isn’t, the best.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly Longmire didn?t give a fat rat?s clacker about who won the hit outs, because they really don?t matter that much, as evidenced by the match result. He was more interested in restricting Tim?s dominance around the ground. I can?t believe the discussion that goes on here about woe is us, we have the best ruckman in the league, if only we could trade him for a much more limited player who would win us more meaningless hit outs.
    Maybe we lose by more without Tim? Long bow I know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

With English, the gap between his best and worst is still vast. Bash and crash rucks of the Ben Hudson/Nank variety are predictable in their effort and in outcomes, and they also add an extra inside mid to the mix when the ball is in dispute at ground level. English has improved but is still prone to really poor intensity efforts where he gets ragdolled at stoppages and around the ground (eg: the Port game against Lycett).
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is your opinion re the two games mentioned, and even then completely disregards the impact, or lack of impact, from our midfielders. It also completely ignores all the other games played that year that actually got us into the finals and then eventually into the GF. You have a love of quoting individual player stats from cherry picked games. I look forward to seeing you regularly quoting Tim?s 60 hit out AFL game, a club record, as comparison when you quote the hit out numbers for our second string ruckman in VFL games.

This is the Welcome to Tim English thread, how about quoting Jordan Sweets stats each week in the Welcome to Jordan Street thread, then those who want to can read them and join with you in bemoaning the greatest travesty in AFL history.

You are totally misrepresenting what I said. I was responding to hitouts generally from a previous comment. They are important.

We lost the double chance and easy route to the grand final. And that happened in the ruck in the centre in 2021. In the Essendon game and then in the Hawthorn game. All we needed was a lousy extra goal or preventing one of the last three opponents. The structure selected could not do it. Historical facts.

In the port Adelaide game I saw English walk away from a ruck contest so Hannan could take it when the ball was in our forward pocket. English had 1, yes 1, hitout that day. Young and anyone close at the time did the ruck work. We didn?t believe in ruck then, (or maybe Dunkley just refused to do it).

Nothing to do with Sweet.

Nothing to do with 2023 English. Who has finally arrived at where we all expected him to be in 2023. One of the best.

But 1 extra good hitout in those last 3 games of 2021 could have had a significant impact. Maybe would have prevented wasting the benefits of all the magnificent games that got us to first place with three games to go.

So to reiterate my response to the original comment, hitouts are important and can have significant impacts.

Post Thanks / Like

Worth noting that poster on BF who has had excellent information on the dogs over the last few years is saying that English is a big chance to go to WCE big money involved and that Pick 1 would be on the table.

It's going to be very interesting off season.

12. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Worth noting that poster on BF who has had excellent information on the dogs over the last few years is saying that English is a big chance to go to WCE big money involved and that Pick 1 would be on the table.

It's going to be very interesting off season.
    As I said in the other thread, add in Barass for whatever pick/s back. Get another mature KPD in free agency. Go get a mature first ruck on the cheap (even Grundy would be cheap) and still get Croft and possibly Lual.

Big boys: Liam Jones, Barass, McKay/Himmelberg, Gardner
    Third talls (being younger): Buss, JOD & Cleary
    Smalls: Dale, Ed, JJ, Gags, Lual, VDM
    Mids: Stocked & Reid
    Wings: Williams, Poulter, Baker, Scott, spare mid
    Tall Forwards: Naughton, JUH, Darcy, Lobb (2 years), Croft
    Mid: Weightman, Reid as he develops
    Small: Arty, Clarke

Kids: Reid, Croft & Lual et al

Need a ruck and a Lohmann type small forward. A good winger would top it off.

Clear out salaries of Bruce, Keath, TOB, Crozier & Duryea.

Keep Smith and sell him and Reid leading the mids as soon as they can.

English needs to return overs. So we should be pretty greedy if the rumour has meat…
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

English needs to return overs. So we should be pretty greedy if the rumour has meat…
    English & our 1st pick for Pick 1 & Barass.

Where do I sign up?

Post Thanks / Like

Find a way to get Grundy in as part of that and I'm listening.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes Mantis, GVGjr, Sedat, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Now you're talking!

BT, to the list management thead!
    W00F!

18. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You mean a $600,000 a season (to them) now VFL player who has a lack of ‘forward craft’. Dees could salary cap dump him and he’d be a first ruck again. Everyone wins.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

20. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unlike last season with Dunkley, West Coast have the assets to make a good deal that will suit us. Last season we got stuck with a barrow load of horse manure. I think English is gone personally and West Coast willing to throw down huge coin is decent outcome for us, it's not ideal obviously but we could come out of this pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    English & our 1st pick for Pick 1 & Barass.

Where do I sign up?
    We could then stop barracking against Brisbane every week and instead hope they go on a run and win the flag.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"