Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  321
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Tim English

Eagles will never trade pick 1, they'd most likely try and turn it into two or three first rounders and then flog off the less valuable ones to us.

2. Likes bornadog, bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    English & our 1st pick for Pick 1 & Barass.

Where do I sign up?
    Why would Barrass do that?
    He lives in the Western suburbs (Claremont kid) in a massive house with his wife and young baby. His whole family are around him...

What exactly are we selling him on?

I know we talk about this stuff but if West Coast want to trade Barrass then the player needs to agree to it. I don't think the rules are correct but they ARE the rules. I know they are battling but he has a premiership medal sitting in a cabinet at home someplace and won the club B&F last year...

If I was him and was thinking about coming to the Dogs, I would want assurance that English would be PLAYING FOR THE DOGS. Having lived the life with Bailey Williams (WCE version) this year, I would be 'yeah, having a good ruckman is sorta important...if they swap me for English, wont they get worse - AND I will be on the other side of the country to my family...how will that be fun??'
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Eagles will never trade pick 1, they'd most likely try and turn it into two or three first rounders and then flog off the less valuable ones to us.
    Depends how they view him and his value?

Luke Jackson = Pick 4, 13 & 22.

If English is worth the same. Are those picks worth Pick 1?

Add Barass for Pick 12, or even 12 & 16-18 and get back 19 off them assuming Twomey is right about Croft.

Then WCE could argue in a sense they got the equivalent of picks 4, 12, 13, 16-18 & 22 - for - Picks 1, 19 & Barass.

Take out the two early seconds (19 & 22)

Pick 1 for Pick 4, plus three more first rounders for the downgrade and Barass. While in actuality, they have the AA ruckman who is under contract plus two first rounders

Not bad if the Jackson value of last/this year is the precedent underpinning value from both clubs for Tim.

My preference is to keep Tim on a fair salary. But if anyone wants him, it’s absolutely overs or no trade.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    As I said in the other thread, add in Barass for whatever pick/s back. Get another mature KPD in free agency. Go get a mature first ruck on the cheap (even Grundy would be cheap) and still get Croft and possibly Lual.

Big boys: Liam Jones, Barass, McKay/Himmelberg, Gardner
    Third talls (being younger): Buss, JOD & Cleary
    Smalls: Dale, Ed, JJ, Gags, Lual, VDM
    Mids: Stocked & Reid
    Wings: Williams, Poulter, Baker, Scott, spare mid
    Tall Forwards: Naughton, JUH, Darcy, Lobb (2 years), Croft
    Mid: Weightman, Reid as he develops
    Small: Arty, Clarke

Kids: Reid, Croft & Lual et al

Need a ruck and a Lohmann type small forward. A good winger would top it off.

Clear out salaries of Bruce, Keath, TOB, Crozier & Duryea.

Keep Smith and sell him and Reid leading the mids as soon as they can.

English needs to return overs. So we should be pretty greedy if the rumour has meat?
    Swans apparently going hard for Barrass which would mean quite the clean out from West Coast. I don't think we're in the hunt.

Back to Timmy, they're is a lot of sunk cost on developing a ruck.
    Considering the quality of other rucks that went in the same draft later than him - Sean Darcy in the second round, Draper Marshall and McInerney as rookies - if English wants out it really does put the drafting of rucks in the first round into perspective.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes Sedat, bulldogtragic, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only way I would entertain any move on English at the end of this season is:

a) if he wants to leave immediately (and then screw West Coke down to as favourable trade for us as possible while English is still contracted)
    b) if we can then engineer a low-outlay ($$ and draft pick) trade for Grundy as English's direct replacement at the same time
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Grundy sucks.

Let's keep Tim.

10. Likes bornadog, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Grundy sucks.

Let's keep Tim.
    Is the #1 pick (Reid) and Grundy more appealing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Swans apparently going hard for Barrass which would mean quite the clean out from West Coast. I don't think we're in the hunt.

Back to Timmy, they're is a lot of sunk cost on developing a ruck.
    Considering the quality of other rucks that went in the same draft later than him - Sean Darcy in the second round, Draper Marshall and McInerney as rookies - if English wants out it really does put the drafting of rucks in the first round into perspective.
    Yep.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Grundy sucks.

Let's keep Tim.
    We are in the middle of the Bont golden years and we cannot have a young/non-competitive/limited ruckman at the helm.

If English wants to leave, we have to get a Grundy calibre player as his replacement. He doesn't suck at all when he's the no 1 ruckman - he was excellent in that run of early games this season when Gawn was out injured. He definitely sucks as 2nd ruck/forward.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We are in the middle of the Bont golden years and we cannot have a young/non-competitive/limited ruckman at the helm.

If English wants to leave, we have to get a Grundy calibre player as his replacement. He doesn't suck at all when he's the no 1 ruckman - he was excellent in that run of early games this season when Gawn was out injured. He definitely sucks as 2nd ruck/forward.
    He plays for Casey.

We've got Sweet Sedat!

I'm being flippant.

Grundy goes ok, I just don't think he's half as good as Tim.

16. Likes Sedat, JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Why would Barrass do that?
    He lives in the Western suburbs (Claremont kid) in a massive house with his wife and young baby. His whole family are around him...

What exactly are we selling him on?

I know we talk about this stuff but if West Coast want to trade Barrass then the player needs to agree to it. I don't think the rules are correct but they ARE the rules. I know they are battling but he has a premiership medal sitting in a cabinet at home someplace and won the club B&F last year...

If I was him and was thinking about coming to the Dogs, I would want assurance that English would be PLAYING FOR THE DOGS. Having lived the life with Bailey Williams (WCE version) this year, I would be 'yeah, having a good ruckman is sorta important...if they swap me for English, wont they get worse - AND I will be on the other side of the country to my family...how will that be fun??'
    I have no idea if Barrass is interested, I purely was responding to BT's comments and came up with what would be the ideal solution if English wanted to depart.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would West Coast be in a rush to pay overs for Tim this year when they can just wait 12 months and get him for less? It's not like they will be challenging next season. They must take pick 1 to the draft or split it into multiple first round picks. I don't buy this rumour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Why would West Coast be in a rush to pay overs for Tim this year when they can just wait 12 months and get him for less? It's not like they will be challenging next season. They must take pick 1 to the draft or split it into multiple first round picks. I don't buy this rumour.
    It's not even a rumour, it is people making things up.

Unless Tim is unhappy, no way we would even contemplate trading him out. He is having his best season as he starts to mature. He is 25 years old and can only improve.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I have no idea if Barrass is interested, I purely was responding to BT's comments and came up with what would be the ideal solution if English wanted to depart.
    Yeah - I get that mate...I was just responding 'in general' to the the reports and your post was the nearest one.

I guess it was the point on 'If we could lure Barrass' then playing alongside English, Bont, Naughts etc would be the attraction. Trading away the good players to get him? That makes us LESS attractive because if he wanted to move he would want to move to WIN...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It's not even a rumour, it is people making things up.

Unless Tim is unhappy, no way we would even contemplate trading him out. He is having his best season as he starts to mature. He is 25 years old and can only improve.
    The non-conpetitiveness and limited ruck ability that Sedat has called are major limitations on English. It's killing us already. The ruck work could well improve but the non competitiveness is unlikely to.

I'd like to keep English as he has a tremendous skillset but we'd be a far superior team if he got even slightly more aggressive.