Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  321
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Tim English

Admittedly I’m the person who is totally disinterested in draft and recruitment machinations but it feels like on here we readily accept losing top talent coming into their prime for … what? The draft can be fools Gold. I’d hope we can sell something, a shared vision, a great club that is not far off contending, state of the art facilities, mateship, to young guns we’ve been patient with instead of pretty quickly accepting we won’t be in the race. How can we do that better rather than conceding is something we could work on.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Likes bornadog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The non-conpetitiveness and limited ruck ability that Sedat has called are major limitations on English. It's killing us already. The ruck work could well improve but the non competitiveness is unlikely to.

I'd like to keep English as he has a tremendous skillset but we'd be a far superior team if he got even slightly more aggressive.
    Is he really that limited, or are we seeing something that isn't there to suit an argument that may no longer exist?

4. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Is he really that limited, or are we seeing something that isn't there to suit an argument that may no longer exist?
    Well....not sure what argument youre referrong to but his ruckwork may be poor due to his lack of competitiveness which I think is the major issue. Watching him play frustrates me to no end knowing what he could be capable of doing if he just got a little agro.

Post Thanks / Like

Well....not sure what argument youre referrong to but his ruckwork may be poor due to his lack of competitiveness which I think is the major issue. Watching him play frustrates me to no end knowing what he could be capable of doing if he just got a little agro.
    Yeah I don't get that. He's super competitive to me.

We are stuffed if he leaves and West Coast will be able to blow us out of the water.

7. Thanks lemmon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are stuffed if he leaves and West Coast will be able to blow us out of the water.
    Spot on Granty - I don't get it at all.

Besides Tim is a happy boy

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Grantysghost, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guarantee you can pick out at least 2 or 3 times tomorrow night, contests that he should have a major influence over yet his presence will hardly be felt. For a guy his size, he should be more Max Gawn in ruck and marking contets than Caleb Daniel. Boundary throw ins are a prime example.

I'll caveat all this by saying I think he's still a good player despite this drawback. I just think he can be a lot better and more imposing on games.

11. Likes JanLorMill, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with that. It's also a completely subjective 'eye' thing, but I don't watch English go into the D50 hole, run other rucks into the ground or average 4.5 tackles a game and see anything other than a competitor and great athlete in his prime. That performance against Geelong really stood out for me - I thought he put the side on his back and tried to drag us over the line in a way that no one else except Bont is capable of in our 22.

I feel like we might not know what we have until it's gone, with big Tim.

13. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guarantee you can pick out at least 2 or 3 times tomorrow night, contests that he should have a major influence over yet his presence will hardly be felt. For a guy his size, he should be more Max Gawn in ruck and marking contets than Caleb Daniel. Boundary throw ins are a prime example.

I'll caveat all this by saying I think he's still a good player despite this drawback. I just think he can be a lot better and more imposing on games.
    Yet he is 4th for rucks in contested Poss.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I also disagree with this view. Sounds like you are describing the 2021 and prior version of English rather than the 2023 model. Nobody wins every contest, every ruck will get outmaneuvered, but I don't notice him being easily pushed around or not trying anymore.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I also disagree with this view. Sounds like you are describing the 2021 and prior version of English rather than the 2023 model. Nobody wins every contest, every ruck will get outmaneuvered, but I don't notice him being easily pushed around or not trying anymore.
    Agree with that, he doesn't get outmaneuvered anymore as he has the physical capabilities to compete but he does get out-positioned, and I feel bt&t is referencing the fact that Tim is often behind at boundary throw-ins which means his opponent often has a direct path to the ball.

18. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes he puts in shit efforts when he loses concentration and that's OK. Nobody's perfect and it's happening less, so as long as its improving that's all I can ask.

He's been excellent across the board this year and would be sorely missed.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Agree with that, he doesn't get outmaneuvered anymore as he has the physical capabilities to compete but he does get out-positioned, and I feel bt&t is referencing the fact that Tim is often behind at boundary throw-ins which means his opponent often has a direct path to the ball.
    Yes this. It happens too often. He also tends to sag off in marking contets as well. He also doesnt impose himself enough in around the ground ruck rontests. The game against port in adelaide was bad, especially when Lycett went off.

This doesnt happen as often as it used to, i agree but he's often the tallest guy on the ground and needs to show that. I'm happy with his progression. I just hope it continues.

21. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yet he is 4th for rucks in contested Poss.
    It's like saying we're great at kicking goals because we dominate inside 50s.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes this. It happens too often. He also tends to sag off in marking contets as well. He also doesnt impose himself enough in around the ground ruck rontests. The game against port in adelaide was bad, especially when Lycett went off.

This doesnt happen as often as it used to, i agree but he's often the tallest guy on the ground and needs to show that. I'm happy with his progression. I just hope it continues.
    It's like saying we're great at kicking goals because we dominate inside 50s.
    bad analogy - I don't get it. If he is good at cont poss then he is contesting.

He is also the number one for disposals by all ruckman - so he gets alot of the ball around the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Sometimes he puts in shit efforts when he loses concentration and that's OK. Nobody's perfect and it's happening less, so as long as its improving that's all I can ask.

He's been excellent across the board this year and would be sorely missed.
    Hang on... you've been telling me for years you are perfect...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

25. Likes EasternWest liked this post