Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  321
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Tim English

afl.com.au

WEIGHTS and eating, eating and weights.

That's the schedule for the Western Bulldogs' top draft pick Tim English over the next few months.

The lightly built ruckman was seen as a steal for the premiers at pick 19 in Friday's NAB AFL draft, but the 205cm West Australian tips the scales at around 90kg, and knows exactly what's on the agenda when he arrives at Whitten Oval on Monday.

English told AFL.com.au in Sydney that the experience he gained late this season with South Fremantle in the WAFL was extremely beneficial, and he's prepared to bide his time developing in the VFL in 2017.

"Playing senior footy against bigger bodies certainly helped me with South Fremantle, given the size aspect is probably a weakness of mine," he said.

"Going up against stronger players helped me learn about my body positioning and things like that, so that developed my game in a way.

"I have to increase my physical size, so I'll be getting in the gym and making sure my diet is right once I get to Melbourne."

English has quality foot skills for a big man and the Dogs were ecstatic to see him still on the draft table when their first selection came up.

The quietly spoken big man has been likened to former West Coast champion Dean Cox because of his ability to cover territory and use the footy by hand and foot, and that's exactly the type of ruckman he hopes to be in the AFL.

"I want to provide that link up role around the ground, and do plenty of follow up work as well," he said.

"A big factor for the Bulldogs is contested possession, and obviously they've been really successful at that, and mobility is another one.

"They're two of my strengths that I can work on, so hopefully I can add something to the team."

While any young draftee faces a daunting task in adjusting to AFL level, English has the added pressure of going to this year's flag winners, but the teenager said he saw no downside in going to the premiers.

"I see it as a massive positive," he said.

"They've been really successful this year and seem to have a really strong group led by 'Bevo' (Luke Beveridge), who is such a well-respected coach.

"I met him for the first time at the draft, so I'm just excited to get there and get to work under him."
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks KT31 thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well coordinated, kicking short and long. Love the look of him. Well done Simon and team.
    Work on the guns, hope he evolves into Wynd MK II. Bit of that about him.
    “You don’t develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity.” ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Guys he's finally onto us. What do we do now?

As a joke Arthur Consn Doyle sent three of his friends a note saying 'they are onto us. Flee now' and never saw one of them again.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I like the video although I'm worried a bit by his chicken legs but his skills and second efforts look very exciting for a big guy

Post Thanks / Like

HS, John Ralph

The Western Bulldogs secured the best ruckman in the AFL draft when they selected Tim English

JON RALPH, Herald Sun
    November 26, 2016 9:34pm
    Subscriber only

LUKE Beveridge just doesn’t rate ruckmen. Or, to more specific, the premiership coach believes unless they do more than tap the ball they aren’t helping his side.

So it tells you plenty about the remarkable skill-set of 205cm ruckman Tim English that he is now wearing the colours of the premiership side.

In truth a player rated by the Dogs as the draft’s seventh-best player was such a bargain at pick 19 that they had to take him.
    But a player who racks up possessions at will and runs a 10min 55sec 3km time-trial time is nothing like your old fashioned ruck dinosaur.

The South Fremantle 19-year-old was clearly the best ruckman in the draft and said as soon as he put on 8-10kg, he would try to make his way in the game.

“I am skinny at the moment but I want to get into the gym and work my way up from there.”

Bulldogs recruiter Simon Dalrymples sniffed the wind at the start of the month and decided to get on a plane to WA’s Pingelly, home of the English sheep and cattle farm.

“It was probably one where we thought we were a chance given the history of the draft (with ruck sliders) so we went to the family farm and said, ‘We are a chance here’,” Dalrymple said.

“Bevo has got some strong views on ruckmen. It was a good fit for the way we play and he joins in on offence. He is young and has to put on weight, but as shown by his numbers, he just loves getting the ball.

“It was great to meet mum and dad and you can see by dad’s frame, he is a strong man and mum is a schoolteacher. With Will (Minson) retiring ruck was a bit of a gap, but we weren’t going to make one up and the purchase price had to be right.”

The Dogs also added Northern Knights mid-forward Patrick Lepinski, a former basketballer coached by Marcus Bontempelli’s uncle.
    English can’t quite believe he has landed at the premiers, having studied their most recent glories more than once.

“I am obviously really stoked with that, they are coming off a really successful season this year,’’ English said.

“I watched the Grand Final with a heap of friends and there was quite a bit going on and I had heard and knew about how great it was and I thought I would watch it all again.

“Obviously it’s a huge things (playing under Luke Beveridge), everyone talks about how respected he is and now he has a premiership under his belt.”
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

^^^

We ranked him as number 7 and got him at 19. No wonder Dal is very happy!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes chef, Templeton31, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a bit concerned about picking up a ruckman so early in the draft but after reading each article and watching Englishes highlights packages I am quite excited about his future with us.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I was a bit concerned about picking up a ruckman so early in the draft but after reading each article and watching Englishes highlights packages I am quite excited about his future with us.
    I'm not an officianado on rucks. But most drafted rucks seem to have been rucks most or all of their junior careers. But English spent much of his juniors as a midfielder and defender because he wasn't yet tall enough to play in the ruck. Hence why his skills are so good. It seems like such an uncommon circumstance that I can see his appeal to us at 7/19.

Already 90kg, I can see him getting towards 100kg by the end of next year. So by 2018 he should be AFEL playing weight. The more I watch his highlights the more I'm looking forward to watching him in the VFL next year with a view to what he might do in 2018.

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else thing Ralpy's article had a bit of Rocco about it?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I was against picking him for a few reasons, mostly in relation to when and how you recruit rucks rather than anything directly against him.

He does seem to have a very nice kicking style and his height surely means he is competitive in the ruck. If he does come through he could be quite a player. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action. Besides I trust Dalrymples judgement; he's already had two players taken with our first pick which I was not keen on (Dunkley and Smith) but very quickly won me over.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Does anyone else thing Ralpy's article had a bit of Rocco about it?
    Do you mean how I rate ruckmen? I have been a visionary with that one!

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Do you mean how I rate ruckmen? I have been a visionary with that one!

Visionary? More like delusional.

Like most bulldog supporters!

Post Thanks / Like

Was Tim English The Biggest Steal of the Draft? (afl.com.au)

WHEN you're the reigning premiership winning team you can afford to be a little bold when deciding who to take with your first selection in the NAB AFL Draft.

The Western Bulldogs have the list depth for a period of sustained success and adding the best ruckman in this year's draft , West Australian Tim English, with pick No.19, only enhances their chances of enjoying more silverware.

Hailing from Pingelly in the WA Wheatbelt, English has perhaps the highest ceiling of any player taken on Friday night and that's why Bulldogs recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple was so delighted to snare him.

However, AFL clubs are generally reluctant to use a first-round draft selection on a ruckman unless they really warrant that standing and the team has the patience to allow that player to develop at his own pace.

The Bulldogs had that luxury.

"We always thought that there was a chance that he might slide down the order because of that reason, but we felt that he was too good a player to pass up," Dalrymple said.

At 205cm, English is the best ruck prospect to come through the system since Collingwood selected Brodie Grundy with pick No.18 in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft.

English doesn't yet have the physical presence of Grundy, but what makes him special is his ability to cover the ground and play the role of a fourth midfielder and rack up possessions.

And the beauty for the Bulldogs is that they can let the 19-year-old develop in the VFL for the first couple of years, with premiership ruckmen Jordan Roughead and Tom Boyd to hold down the senior position in the meantime.

When English adds size to his upper body and can cope with the demands of AFL footy, the Bulldogs' will become even more versatile, with Roughead to push forward or back and Boyd to spend more time stationed inside 50.

For a player his size, English has a rare skillset.

The South Fremantle product can find the football at ground level, and often is seen scrapping at the bottom of packs, he backs himself to take the game on by hitting his targets by foot, and he can drift forward and take marks.

English, who has been compared to West Coast great Dean Cox, averaged 17 disposals in six games for South Fremantle's reserves side (he also had a run in the seniors) and used the footy at 75 per cent efficiency.

English's running ability has impressed, and at the NAB AFL Draft Combine he broke the 11-minute barrier in the 3km time-trial (running a final time of 10:55).

It has been a sharp rise for English, who was playing school football for Christ Church Grammar in Claremont as a 184cm midfielder three years ago.

A 20cm growth spurt in that time saw him rocket up the draft order, with English considered a candidate as a top-five pick earlier in the season.

Since the start of the season, English has added eight kilograms to his frame – moving from 84kg to 92kg in the lead up to the draft.

Although he has been been branded as a project player, English is hoping he will be able to push for senior football next year.

For now, the Bulldogs are thrilled with their long-term investment in a player who may turn out to be the best young ruckman to be drafted to an AFL club in the last 10 years.

19. Thanks Bulldog4life, choconmientay, bornadog, ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Make a lot of sense.

I like the sounds of ..."biggest steal of the draft", ..."English has perhaps the highest ceiling of any player taken on Friday night" and that we have depth and the luxury to pick him ��

Go Dogs.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

21. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the start of the season, English has added eight kilograms to his frame – moving from 84kg to 92kg.
    That sounds promising.

23. Likes Eastdog liked this post