Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  88
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Patrick Lipinski

Double dose of 'dream comes true' for new Dog

Draftee Patrick Lipinski is pinching himself after realising two life-long ambitions in the space of two months.

The 18-year-old grew up in Melbourne's eastern suburbs dreaming of a Western Bulldogs flag and becoming an AFL player, and he can now proudly say he's achieved both.

The midfielder was one of 99,981 people who witnessed the Dogs beat Sydney to claim their first premiership since 1954, and his year to remember was capped off when the club he loves called out his name at with pick No.28 in Friday night's NAB AFL Draft.

"I was just so ecstatic, I just couldn't believe (I was selected by the Bulldogs) to be honest," Lipinski said on Tuesday.

"I didn't have many expectations going into the draft, I was just hoping to get picked up.

"It was amazing (Grand Final day) because when I was younger I wasn't sure I'd ever see a (premiership).

"It's a dream come true."

The Northern Knights product was a surprise second-round selection as many draft experts had him slated for a later pick after a broken hand saw him miss a chunk of the TAC Cup season.

However, impressive form up forward at the start of the year and several eye-catching games in the midfield later in the season saw him earn an invitation to the NAB AFL Draft Combine.

A post-season visit to the family home by the Dogs' recruiting team was "pretty special", but Lipinski didn't get his hopes up of a career at the club he loves.

"I had spoken to (the Dogs) so I knew it was a possibility, but I didn't actually think it could happen," he said.

"But it has and I couldn't be happier."

Lipinski hails from the same junior football club as Marcus Bontempell, and the families have crossed paths through their sporting pursuits.

While at 186cm, he's not proclaiming to be the next tall midfielder to take the AFL by storm, but previous coaches have asked him to study Bontempelli and Carlton's Patrick Cripps.

"I'm not the player they are, but I just try to take a few tips of what they do and try and implement them into my game," he said.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a really good young kid.

Hard to say who has my interest the most out of all our draftees so far, they each have a different element. English as the super mobile modern day ruck, Lips as perhaps the most ready of the group and a big mid/resting forward, Young as a KPP and Greene as a smokey.

Post Thanks / Like

Lipinski is the most "sure" of our picks to me - to nab 30+ possessions in your first game in the midfield at u18 level shows natural ability yet the draft watchers referred to him as the most athletic kid in the draft.

Jongy has shown what an athlete can do under our system, I'm prepared to call Patrick the most likely type to make the grade.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Just looking at the training highlights he has a great frame to work with thats for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

So he's a Western Bulldogs member.
    So he goes to the Grand Final.
    So he sees a Premiership at the tender age of 18.
    So he gets paid great money to hang around the club, with the premiership players.
    So he gets to live with Bonts.

Such is life!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why has he moved in with the Bonts? Has the club sold him to them or something?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Maybe it's closer to the WO? Does he have his license yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Something like that. From what I've heard, on the first day of training Patty crashed into Bonts car in the car park. Patty didn't have insurance so the club ordered him to be his live in butler.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Something like that. From what I've heard, on the first day of training Patty crashed into Bonts car in the car park. Patty didn't have insurance so the club ordered him to be his live in butler.
    Heard Libba tried to get Patty to come to his place and clean his house as it was a pigsty. Bont had none of it.

11. Likes bulldogtragic, hujsh, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Heard Libba tried to get Patty to come to his place and clean his house as it was a pigsty. Bont had none of it.
    Well he's Bonts butler.

Post Thanks / Like

Well he's Bonts butler.
    True. But surely as Bont's butler, the Bont can just give him any order he wants. I mean that's what butlers do, they follow orders.

14. Likes bulldogtragic, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I would say they know each other already. It's not a huge basketball club and the bontempellis are pretty prominent.
    Makes sense to put them together
    It is a huge basketball club, but Bont played in a basketball team with Pats older brother whose at college in the US, so they have some connection clearly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    It is a huge basketball club, but Bont played in a basketball team with Pats older brother whose at college in the US, so they have some connection clearly
    I'm pretty sure I read that Bonts uncle coached Patty too at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure I read that Bonts uncle coached Patty too at the club.
    see here

Selection No.28 – Patrick Lipinski
    Simon Dalrymple says: "A former basketballer who is a fantastic young man and plays as a mid forward. He's actually coached by Marcus Bontempelli's uncle, so there's a connection there, and he's got a great attitude."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously? He crashed into the Bonts 150k Merc on day 1? Man you'd be tempted to not go in. Talk about a grand entrance!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.