Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  88
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Patrick Lipinski

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    The romantic in me loves the fact that he was a one eyed Bulldogs supporter who was in the stands at the Grand Final and now he is playing with some of his idols.

He looks like a solid pick up - may his upward trend in form continue!
    That would be awesome but come with its own problems. I know for a fact that if it happened to me then I'd promptly forget how to play football properly between draft day and my first training session with my heroes. I just know the first pass Bont shoots my way knocks me off my feet!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is Paddy second on our goalkicking? I know Gowers is in front but he can't be very day ahead.

I remember Jim Edmomd winning our goalkicking with something like 23 goals in 1981 and it's looking like this year will be a trivia question too.
    Edmond and Loveless both kicked 25 in 1981. You only have to look at last year to find a lower total than that (24 to Picken and Stringer).

Still much better than 1963 when Bisset and Hobbs only managed 16. Hopefully someone can at least make it into the 30s this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Edmond and Loveless both kicked 25 in 1981. You only have to look at last year to find a lower total than that (24 to Picken and Stringer).
    Heh! Jock and Pinhead! The only time I ever saw Bruce Doull back down was one day at Whitten oval just after Loveless had pulled Doull's headband off and threw it into the crowd (a favourite pastime of VFL forwards in the 70s and 80s) and Doull started with his crazy head, spinning eyes stuff that he did when Shane just loosened his shoulders and faced up to him with his fists cocked in the classic boxer's stance and Doull shat himself and turned away. I couldn't see it but the look on Pinhead's face must have meant business because Doull was tough and never backed down when challenged (which was fairly often)

Still much better than 1963 when Bisset and Hobbs only managed 16. Hopefully someone can at least make it into the 30s this year.
    I tell you what. Wee Georgie and Merv would be more than handy in this Buuldog team. They both used the ball so well and got so much of it.

Georgie's straight kicking for goal would be a massive asset.

Post Thanks / Like

In fairness, Stringer won our H & A goalkicking in our premiership year with 37, which is hardly setting the world on fire.

In the last 20 years these are the only 50+ goalkickers we've had:
    1998 - P Hudson. We finished 2nd on the ladder
    2002-03 N Brown, 12th and last
    2006-07 B Johnson, 8th and 13th
    2010-11 B Hall, 4th and 10th
    2015 J Stringer, 5th.

5. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    In fairness, Stringer won our H & A goalkicking in our premiership year with 37, which is hardly setting the world on fire.

2015 J Stringer, 5th.

Things change. Simon Beasley came over from WA in 1982 (with a big reputation) and kicks 82 in 21 games in his first year and tge prevailing thought wasn't "well done, him. 82 goals first up is a fair effort" it was "only 82? This bloke is supposed to a gun" Beasley had a great record, I was having a look the other night on AFLtables. He kicked more than 60 goals a year for the first seven years. He only played six games in year eight before retiring so he's kicked 60+ every year he's played with us with the one ton. He kicked more goals in the 1980s than any other player.

Post Thanks / Like

2015 J Stringer, 5th.
    Never new that!
    In 2016 our accuracy was woeful and I was so nervous in the final.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

2015 J Stringer, 5th.
    Dickson kicked 50 goals in 2015
    Johnson kicked 50 or more in 2006, 2007 and 2008
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Johnno's 50th goal in 08 came during the finals series, 47 during the H&A series. Same with Dickson in 15, kicked 5 in the EF to put him over to 50.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Never new that!
    Oddly enough our accuracy in the first half of the GF was fantastic.

We missed at least 5 very gettable goals in the last quarter of the prelim.

Post Thanks / Like

2015 J Stringer, 5th.
    Who said we need someone to kick 50 goals? I certainly didn't. However, for a successful season (without looking up the stats) you would probably like someone over 30 and a good spread of goalkickers at least in double figures if you don't have someone kicking 50 plus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Never new that!
    Our accuracy in 2016 was miles better than 2017 and 2018 so far. I would happily take our woeful 2016 accuracy (better than 50%) now.

Post Thanks / Like

Who said we need someone to kick 50 goals? I certainly didn't. However, for a successful season (without looking up the stats) you would probably like someone over 30 and a good spread of goalkickers at least in double figures if you don't have someone kicking 50 plus.
    Just an arbitrary number I selected. Don't read too much into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough our accuracy in the first half of the GF was fantastic.

We missed at least 5 very gettable goals in the last quarter of the prelim.
    I remember walking down the steps to my seat at half time looking at the scoreboard that said 8.1 and thinking "we've picked the perfect day to kick straight for once.

Apropos to nothing really at halftime on Sunday Collingwood 10.3 Brisbane 10.0! Bobby Davis would have said it was "fair dinkum unbelievable"

It's important to have a spread of goal kickers. You want half a dozen with 20+ at least. If you've got one dominant goal kicker he draws five defenders to every contest.

Our accuracy in 2016 was miles better than 2017 and 2018 so far. I would happily take our woeful 2016 accuracy (better than 50%) now.

It's long been an issue though. I don't think we should stop worrying about it because it's getting worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I remember walking down the steps to my seat at half time looking at the scoreboard that said 8.1 and thinking "we've picked the perfect day to kick straight for once.
    Shame it went to shit in the third quarter.

I still can't fathom the first goal that Cordy kicked from the Boundary line. I turned to the folks next to me (all neutrals, I was in the AFL members Reserve) and saying "He's not a great kick, I can't see him getting this one". I don't think he's struck another kick in his life as beautifully as he did that one.

16. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shame it went to shit in the third quarter.

I still can't fathom the first goal that Cordy kicked from the Boundary line. I turned to the folks next to me (all neutrals, I was in the AFL members Reserve) and saying "He's not a great kick, I can't see him getting this one". I don't think he's struck another kick in his life as beautifully as he did that one.
    Yep, 2.6 in the third, and 6.10 in the second half. It was 7.1 to half time which I will take anyday in a grand final. I wonder if we had been 6.10 at half time if the boys would go in thinking "we've thrown this away" I'd like to think not but who knows?

When the Cordy kick went through I can remember thinking "we are a chance here, and it ain't just bravado"