Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  96
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Lewis Young

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He would seriously need to improve his footy IQ, which of course comes with experience but his body position and general nous are way behind where he should be.

He's clearly got some ability but I'm not sold on him making it.
    He's had trouble with our system for sure. He and Roughead were always out of position far too often as defenders
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Young is a key defender in my eyes. He can become a very good one. I'm quietly confident that he'll play 12+ games this year but suspect he's one more year off being a fixture in the side.

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very impressed with Lewis Young. Can be anything. Can take a big mark, can spoil well, can run and bounce, is agile, has pace, can kick long and accurately. Needs experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James Cumming View Post
    I am very impressed with Lewis Young. Can be anything. Can take a big mark, can spoil well, can run and bounce, is agile, has pace, can kick long and accurately. Needs experience.

JC you were talking him up most of last season so do you think he's best value woukd be as a defender or could he be tried as a forward?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If we are persisting with Young forward, what does that mean for Schache?

Lewis looking forward

Having spent most of his AFL career as a defender, Lewis Young talks about his move forward at the start of 2020.

The bright signs continued once the 197cm defender inherited Bob Murphy's No.2 guernsey at the end of his first year, but the VFL beckoned in Young's third season as competition for spots increased.

"Going back to the VFL at times was a good thing, but at times it was a little bit tough," Young told AFL.com.au.

The mindset for the 21-year-old was not to knock down the door every week, but to hold his form and wait for his chance.

The opportunity finally came in round 22 when ruckman Tim English fell ill; 20 weeks after Young was first omitted.

"Just trying to keep myself relevant in the selection frame throughout the year was really important," Young said.

"I got a bit lucky with Tim (English) being sick in a way, it was lucky for me because I got a spot."

Young proved his worth and held on to his spot in the backline for the final three weeks of the Bulldogs 2019 season, but another challenge came his way in 2020.

With the recruitment of Josh Bruce and solid returns from Aaron Naughton and Josh Schache in 2019, it may have raised a few eyebrows to see Young swung forward at the start of the season.

"I spent a lot of time this pre-season even as a backman, but it's with Bevo's (Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge) philosophy of playing in dual positions and having everyone on the field being able to switch around," Young said.

Despite playing as a forward in junior football, the move hasn't been seamless for Young.

The swingman is a student of the game and has spent plenty of time soaking up as much knowledge as he can from forwards coach Ash Hansen.

"I'm trying to be more creative and have a bit more craft in my forward game," Young said.

The transition between positions has required Young to play with "natural instinct".

"Trying to keep the game simple and not trying to do much with or without the ball is really, especially as a key forward if you try and think too much you can get in your own head and play yourself out of the game," Young said.

He's also shaking old habits and making a conscious effort to keep his eyes on the football at all times.

"Playing as a defender you spend half your time looking at your opponent and half the time at the ball," Young said.

"Moving from that mindset is important to me."

Positioning has also been a major growth area that Young has put time into.

"I'm trying to stay in line with the ball and not drifting into positions where I'm not relevant to where the ball is going to be," Young said.

"Just trying to stay in the line of the goals so I can use my strengths which is to run and jump at the ball and bring the ball to ground or clunk a couple of marks."

That special awareness is crucial when he's playing alongside Naughton and Bruce – two players he's still building a rapport with.

"We're trying to get that chemistry for when one of us is going for the ball, one of us needs to pull out and go back towards the goals."

"That chemistry is something that grows with time, but we're trying to rush ourselves to have that chemistry more through training and through just hanging out and doing edits, but that stuff comes with time."

The disruption to the season might have put a dent in the connection building period for the Bulldogs, but this forward trio has the athleticism, strength and smarts to really do damage in the finals if everything clicks.

Post Thanks / Like

If we are actually persisting with this I'll be pretty pissed off.

We simply do not need another key forward, at all. Maybe if we swing Naughton back again, which we have shown no sign of doing and is something i am not in favour of, but to add Young to an already very tall forwardline is idiotic, especially when Young has shown good signs in defence and is debatably better than Cordy anyway.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    If we are actually persisting with this I'll be pretty pissed off.

We simply do not need another key forward, at all. Maybe if we swing Naughton back again, which we have shown no sign of doing and is something i am not in favour of, but to add Young to an already very tall forwardline is idiotic, especially when Young has shown good signs in defence and is debatably better than Cordy anyway.
    Totally agree, I really don't know the thinking here.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Lewis has shown real spark as an intercepting defender, I still think he has a lot of work to do one on one... but isn't that where Alex Keath is at too?

It might be a "go forward to go back" thing as I'm sure I saw him last year when he played ruck/forward at Williamstown at their home ground and played well.
    With Trengove on the outer and Cordy undersized I would have thought that's his best chance of long term success, because he sure as shit isn't pushing Marra out of the team in 2-3 years time.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Lewis has shown real spark as an intercepting defender, I still think he has a lot of work to do one on one... but isn't that where Alex Keath is at too?

It might be a "go forward to go back" thing as I'm sure I saw him last year when he played ruck/forward at Williamstown at their home ground and played well.
    With Trengove on the outer and Cordy undersized I would have thought that's his best chance of long term success, because he sure as shit isn't pushing Marra out of the team in 2-3 years time.
    It's an odd one.

MC appear to only want to fast track/develop certain players (i.e. Naughton and English - but Naughty has been great from day dot). Others have been thrown around/dropped regularly (Young top of the list, Schache to a lesser degree) while others have been cast aside (Trengove now, Roberts previously - despite signing a 2 year deal).

Others (Cordy) have been ordinary for a long time yet are entrenched whilst some are given multiple chances despite being well beaten (Gardner and again, English).

There are some explanations for the above, but Young is the most baffling. We've played him back and he's looked impressive despite having obvious flaws (1-v-1 defending), he's rucked and he's played forward ... yet we drop him in favour of Gardner who hasn't shown anything close to Young in any position on the ground.

I've been critical of our MC for a long, long time. It should be no surprise that the first time in 3-4 years that we consolidated a sensible lineup, we actually started - y'know - winning? Unfortunately we revoked that in the EF last year and it has continued on for R1 & R2.

Our club's in an interesting position, so time will tell.

12. Likes jeemak liked this post