Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How good was.....Danny Southern?

Sadly, I never saw Danny Southern play.

I have seen some video of a slight disagreement with Peter Sumich (what started that?) and a cameo role in "Year of the Dogs" about his multiple injuries.

Was he a FB or CHB?

What style, lockdown defender or counter attacking?

What good forward scalps did he take?

What modern day player is most like him?

Over to you.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How good was.....Danny Southern?

He played KP out of necessity more than being a natural for it. Just a touch undersized for a KPP
    He had good attacking instincts and liked to run off opponents.

Southern was a real character and would have been fun to play footy with. The choker hold on Sumich incident I think impacted him and sadly knee injuries took their toll.

Regarded as a tough nut.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He played KP out of necessity more than being a natural for it. Just a touch undersized for a KPP
    He had good attacking instincts and liked to run off opponents.

Southern was a real character and would have been fun to play footy with. The choker hold on Sumich incident I think impacted him and sadly knee injuries took their toll.

Regarded as a tough nut.
    Thanks. What current/recent player is most like him?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Another in the grand tradition of Bulldog backmen being asked to punch above their weight for the good of the team.

The Sumich incident stemmed from Steve Wallis burying sentient caricature Brett Heady with a hip and shoulder on the wing in Perth then the rest wrote itself, Southern was just flying the flag. Tune in at the 6:30 mark here for more context ...

Southern could play and had a rebounders instinct but his natural game was weighed down by a combination of chronic injury and the responsibility of having to perform jobs on troublesome, often bigger opponents. Not the smoothest mover but rangy with a knack for timely fists and gutsy as all get out if not quite the psycho bastard his 'Mad Max' stylings might've suggested. Then again, Sumich may beg to differ.

Reckon the nearest, most recent comparison is Zaine Cordy with a fraction more dash.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Daniel (not Danny) Southern was hard as nails and had great concentration, he wasn't the sort to get caught daydreaming. His opponent earned every kick.

Not quite glove-like, but think of Dale Morris in moccasins - slightly undersized but still got the job done most of the time. Ruined by injury, should have played a lot more football. Certainly one of the most interesting blokes to ever pull on a bulldogs jumper. Was living in Egypt when the Arab Spring erupted.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cordy comparison is close enough I reckon, he is hard to pigeon hole. Better than the tough guy, rough lad stereotype would have you believe. Had a bit of attacking flair. Pretty decent, long clearing kick too, if I recall correctly.

We didn't see enough of his best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    The Cordy comparison is close enough I reckon, he is hard to pigeon hole. Better than the tough guy, rough lad stereotype would have you believe. Had a bit of attacking flair. Pretty decent, long clearing kick too, if I recall correctly.

We didn't see enough of his best.
    Did Plough move hm to the forward line up against Sydney and he bagged a couple of goals. I seem to recall him making a real difference in a game against them. 3 or 4 marks up forward and a couple of goals in a half

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he was wonderful
    He clearly played with extreme discomfort in that knee
    The reason west coast didn’t take him
    Tough, great overhead , good kick and went a reasonable click
    Played above his height , and sadly his career finished at 25

Post Thanks / Like

Ripping good guy by all accounts
    The look didn’t match the personality

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Ripping good guy by all accounts
    The look didn’t match the personality
    Thoroughly decent humour and a real citizen of the world.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Thoroughly decent humour and a real citizen of the world.
    I spoke to him at Selector's Table one night just before his first game. He was genuinely thrilled that he had landed at Footscray and had a huge smile on his face that he had been selected. Playing AFL seemed to be a real ambition of his. He came across as a really humble sort of guy who was happy to be playing at a "real football club" (his quote) and not a "corporate entity" (my quote) like West Coast.

The next time I heard him speak was again at a Selectors Table night just after the battle of Subiaco and Daniel had been fined $10 000 for his part in it which was more than he had been paid for the entire year. The supporters had taken up a collection and raised a little bit more than the ten large for him I think Peter Gordon got up and handed over the cheque and Daniel made a really nice speech as he accepted it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Another in the grand tradition of Bulldog backmen being asked to punch above their weight for the good of the team.

The Sumich incident stemmed from Steve Wallis burying sentient caricature Brett Heady with a hip and shoulder on the wing in Perth then the rest wrote itself, Southern was just flying the flag. Tune in at the 6:30 mark here for more context ...

Southern could play and had a rebounders instinct but his natural game was weighed down by a combination of chronic injury and the responsibility of having to perform jobs on troublesome, often bigger opponents. Not the smoothest mover but rangy with a knack for timely fists and gutsy as all get out if not quite the psycho bastard his 'Mad Max' stylings might've suggested. Then again, Sumich may beg to differ.

Reckon the nearest, most recent comparison is Zaine Cordy with a fraction more dash.
    Heady had kicked 5 or 6 at a game at Whitten oval prior to that game. Each time he kicked a goal he ran past the bulldog defenders and yelled out "that's one, that's two and so on. You can see Wally lean over a prone Brett Heady and yell "that's one" into his face as he lays on the boundary line.

It was also an even up for the heroic actions of Worsfeld and his mates sniping Scott West playing his second or third game at Whitten oval that day. We owed them one. Then we got in front at the last match at Whitten oval.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just noted that he got 12 Brownlow votes in his first season as a 19 year defender which is quite remarkable. A fine player who was unfortunately badly constrained by injury.

Post Thanks / Like

From memory both he and Koster spent an extra year at the state teams before coming over. Did Southern win a flag at Claremont in that year?

Post Thanks / Like

Danny was an awesome match up for Ablett Snr. I saw him completely nullify Ablett on two occasions at Kardinia Park. He was extremely attentive and was fantastic at anticipating how play would unfold up the field, and where his opponents would move to. He was a great spoiler and a traditional backman who always made his opponents earn it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.