Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  96
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Lewis Young

I know it's a big call.........but gee Young reminded me of a young Kelvin Templeton...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid the rush View Post
    I know it's a big call.........but gee Young reminded me of a young Kelvin Templeton...

The long sleeves and the sure hands.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

No pressure on the kid
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

5. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the best first games for our club that I can remember. Still got a long way to go physically but his ability to read the ball and intercept brings him into the game. Between Young, Wood and Cordy there is something special there.

Bevo said after the Adelaide game that we were never going to match then for sheer size, so we needed to play to our strengths and play the game on our terms, and make their big blokes look slow etc. But of course we didn't take the game on and kept kicking the ball to them.

Enter Young and for the first time in many weeks we looked to have some stability and confidence in defence. Of course it was a much better effort in the middle but we looked comfortable back there.

There will be times no doubt when he gets out bodied easily but if he keeps trusting his instincts and reading the play he'll go a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    He's an impressive young bloke.

Post Thanks / Like

My memory goes back a long way, including the notable first games of Barry Round and Bernie Quinlan (on the same day). And I can't remember a Bulldog player with more composure in his first senior game. The way he prepares to mark reminds me of Gary Dempsey, and long may his hands remain as sure as Garry's were.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

9. Likes bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    My memory goes back a long way, including the notable first games of Barry Round and Bernie Quinlan (on the same day). And I can't remember a Bulldog player with more composure in his first senior game. The way he prepares to mark reminds me of Gary Dempsey, and long may his hands remain as sure as Garry's were.
    Let's not forget Jason Tutt for notable first games...

11. Likes Raw Toast, bulldogtragic, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He said it - I was waiting.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually thought Chris Grant . But Yeah reminds me of Kelvin as well.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Got a good laugh out of the Suckling Insta post.

Seems like a switched on and mature young man.

Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to work out yesterday who Young reminded me of and I worked it out today.
    When he was first drafted by the Hawks as a key forward, Luke McPharlin started off as a tall defender. In his 2nd season he played a few games where his marking ability and athleticism really stood out.

McPharlin only played 12 games for the Hawks but had an impressive career at Freo. Here's hoping Young can forge out a good career with us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I was trying to work out yesterday who Young reminded me of and I worked it out today.
    When he was first drafted by the Hawks as a key forward, Luke McPharlin started off as a tall defender. In his 2nd season he played a few games where his marking ability and athleticism really stood out.

McPharlin only played 12 games for the Hawks but had an impressive career at Freo. Here's hoping Young can forge out a good career with us.
    Bingo. I have been thinking who he reminded of and had a Fremantle jumper in my mind. Good get.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

He didn't win the Rising Start this week.

Fair enough given the performances Witherdon has put together the last month.

Get a load of the gushing, cheesey, and fairly over the top praise in this article:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-1...to-rising-star
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

SEN - BULLDOG PUP HAS SHADES OF LEVER: WATSON

Western Bulldog Lachie Hunter says that the debut performance of defender Lewis Young was one of the best he has seen, but took him slightly by surprise.

Young, who was previously a forward as a junior with Sturt and spent time at both ends in the VFL this season, took nine marks on debut – including six intercept – to be among the Bulldogs best in their win over Carlton yesterday.

Hunter told SEN Breakfast that the South Australian looked as if he had played 100 league games in defence.

“I know he’s been playing really well, and a lot of the boys said that he’s been playing exactly like that in the VFL, but as you all know often it doesn’t really translate exactly into AFL,” he said.

“But it pretty much seemed like he knew exactly how the game was going and he didn’t struggle with the speed of the game and read the ball well and came off and took a lot of marks, which is what we wanted him to do.”

Hunter said that he enjoyed seeing the first-gamer provide Carlton’s Levi Casboult with some feedback after the big Blue missed a simple goal in the final term.

“I thought it was pretty good, you don’t often see that some a first-gamer. It normally takes a couple of years to start to get into the opposition.”

Former Essendon great Tim Watson likened Young’s debut to that of in-demand Adelaide young gun Jake Lever.

“The first time I saw Jake Lever player for the Adelaide Crows, I looked at him and thought this bloke is going to be around for 200 games,” Watson said.

“This kid is exactly the same. He has time he has composure, he as awareness and he has a little bit of confidence as well. He just looked like he was made to play the game.”

Young was selected by the Dogs at pick 49 in last year’s national draft and has shown steady progression in the reserves before getting his chance.

“(He’s) a 197cm tall forward who comes from a basketball background so is still learning the game and is actually a baby of the draft because he’s a late December birth,” Sturt high performance manager Chris Trapp told Inside Football in November 2016.

“(He has) good athletic ability but will need to improve his kicking. Out of all our guys he has the most upside and could play back if that’s what a club wanted.”
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela