Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  96
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Lewis Young

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Youngs inside 50 kick to Dickson in the 1st half was as good of a kick as any from our players this year. I think he added composure in disposal today, but learned a lot about how big and strong the big and strong players are. I also did like him giving it to Hooker after a miss proving that the Casboult one wasn't an isolated incident. He jumped into the wrestle at the end too. Cordy is teaching him well.
    It was on his non-preferred left too if I recall?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I can't honestly recall. But if that's his non preferred, he can move into the midfield if he can kick both sides like that. It was a stunning kick. Audacious as it was perfect. I think it was Hurley who was in front of the leading Dickson, and I reckon everyone including Hurley thought it was going to him... But the weight and penetration to get the exact height and pace to get to a quick moving Dickson it was a thing of art.

I shouldn't be as happy as I am over one kick, but in a season when we've showed a huge weakness in this area, something like this from a third gamer just stands out. I reckon the degree of difficulty would be harder than the wheelie bin from 40m.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't the doubt about him his kicking?? His efficiency must be right up there. He doesn't panic at all.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I can't honestly recall. But if that's his non preferred, he can move into the midfield if he can kick both sides like that. It was a stunning kick. Audacious as it was perfect. I think it was Hurley who was in front of the leading Dickson, and I reckon everyone including Hurley thought it was going to him... But the weight and penetration to get the exact height and pace to get to a quick moving Dickson it was a thing of art.

I shouldn't be as happy as I am over one kick, but in a season when we've showed a huge weakness in this area, something like this from a third gamer just stands out. I reckon the degree of difficulty would be harder than the wheelie bin from 40m.
    Kicked it with his left foot.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Kicked it with his left foot.
    Well, time to make a midfielder out of him!

Name the other players on our list who could make that on their non-preferred foot?

Bonts, Bob, Bailey Dale maybe,
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Wasn't the doubt about him his kicking?? His efficiency must be right up there. He doesn't panic at all.
    Average on his 3 games: 15 disposals at 78%, 7.7 marks, 1.3 tackles, 1.3 rebound 50's, 2.7 1%'s (88.7 time on ground)

9. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently got a knock on the knee late in the game, not sure how bad it is.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

He's the perfect modern day tall and perfect for our setup. Athletic and a good user. Has that extra height that Cordy & Adams don't

Has already overachieved in his first year, but I would question whether he should remain in the side for the rest of the year - we've been playing him as the loose man and letting him run and jump at the ball, but even that today was beyond him at times as bigger, stronger, more experienced forwards pushed or held him off the ball
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I had to rewind to actually realise he kicked it with his left .

Post Thanks / Like

Young has been fantastic - so much better than anyone could have reasonably expected. But I hope that he spends a heap of time working on his hand-passing in between seasons.

Sometimes the pace of the game is too quick for him and he doesn't dispose of it quickly enough, which is fair enough (Cordy used to drive me a bit crazy with that), but vital in today's footy to turn hand-passing into a weapon and at the moment with him it's a bit of a liability. Young's obviously got a heap of things going for him, hopefully he's also one of those players who will work diligently to keep improving the less superb parts of his game.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Good pickup , He got caught once holding the ball in the last quarter but it not help that his team mates did not come to him for options. He will learning , and get better. Ther is massive massive upside with him , an exciting prospect. We are crying out for a Jeremy McGovern role to take those intercept marks

15. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm still trying to work what his preferred is. He moves with the poise of a traditional left footer but mostly uses the right.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

That kick was right in front of where I sit...the guy beside me was having a hissy fit until he realised it was a perfect pass to Tory
    Young Lewis has certainly shown a lot of poise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dadsgirl16 View Post
    That kick was right in front of where I sit...the guy beside me was having a hissy fit until he realised it was a perfect pass to Tory
    Young Lewis has certainly shown a lot of poise
    That might have been me!
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Average on his 3 games: 15 disposals at 78%, 7.7 marks, 1.3 tackles, 1.3 rebound 50's, 2.7 1%'s (88.7 time on ground)
    Fair effort for player who has only just started at the top level. Well done Lewis.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

20. Likes Raw Toast liked this post