Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  49
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Fergus Greene

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I like Fergus, but I think the 20 game rule should apply either way.
    Absolutely on the 20 game rule, although I’m thinking more along his natural/instinctual forward craft. He seems to have a very high footy IQ, something that stands out a bit.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    On a positive note he admitted after the game he needs to work on his goal kicking.
    To be fair to Fergus, a lot of his shots yesterday were on tight angles. That last one though was probably one that he should have nailed. But it's not like it was the easiest shot in the world and he did nail a very similar one earlier.

3. Likes bulldogtragic, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I’m only half jokingly referring to him as “Bernie” at the game.

Although unfortunately today the “Superboot” tag was struggling to hold up with young Fergus’s inaccuracy.
    In fairness to Greene, 3 of his shots were low percentage chances and he got close with a couple.

I'm not sure if 'natural' is the word I'd use - he never really entered an elite system until he was drafted from the clouds. I just think he's been well drilled, a coachable sort who just does what is asked of him and after two years of hard work is just starting to get rewarded. He has the speed and his hands are sticky enough to put him in the frame for a round 1 2019 berth as well ahead of more highly rated players (B Dale).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    To be fair to Fergus, a lot of his shots yesterday were on tight angles. That last one though was probably one that he should have nailed. But it's not like it was the easiest shot in the world and he did nail a very similar one earlier.
    To be fair to Fergus he also said his leading patterns need to improve so he isn’t on such tight angles. Good footy IQ indeed.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Pretty much how I saw it too. He didn't miss the basic 30m on a slight angle shots his team mates have been missing. His routine looks good though. Once we are not clogging up the space at 30m out with 4 forwards and 4 defenders, he might not have to lead as wide to get a mark hopefully. He knows how to get the marks inside 50 which is a good starting point for a young, lean kid.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It is actually just fun to cheer for someone called 'FERGUS'. Even when he makes a mistake, he is still 'FERGUS'.

Just saying his name out loud makes me smile.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It is actually just fun to cheer for someone called 'FERGUS'. Even when he makes a mistake, he is still 'FERGUS'.

Just saying his name out loud makes me smile.
    haha, that is what I was thinking at the game yesterday.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Redpath leads pretty well. Schache knows what he is doing. Dickson as you mentioned. Gowers is good too

He's leading to tough spots to kick goals from so his kicking has to really be on to convert
    Yeah we seem to have found a few haven't we? What we need now is some continuity please Bevo

11. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Greene spoke really well on Fox after the game. He just looked a little nervous on the set shots yesterday but with a solid technique once he is a little more comfortable at the level things will turn. A natural forward, long reach and a good endurance athlete seems like a nice little recipe to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not necessarily disputing BT's suggestion of Greene's 'natural forward' status - I certainly found myself saying yesterday that he IS a natural forward.

One thing I noticed yesterday (and we all saw the outcome) is that he lead to the pockets which gives you a better opportunity to get onto the end of I50 passes, as the defender will always give you boundary side as a starting point. The kid is 3 games in, so some time and coaching should hopefully see his craft develop where he is able to find ways to mark in better positions, because he has the makings of a nice set shot goal kicker if he can get higher % shots. More cohesion amongst the forward group should help that also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    To be fair to Fergus he also said his leading patterns need to improve so he isn’t on such tight angles. Good footy IQ indeed.
    I'm just happy we had someone leading

Could it be though that that is his directive? You want lead patterns in all different directions to draw out the extra defender. Perhaps Schache is the main target who will lead up the middle and Fergus was told to offer the shorter leads in the pocket. Similar to how NFL receivers will run their routes. 3 forwards leading to the same part of the ground will end badly.

15. Likes Dancin' Douggy, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Obvious but good point - also didn't like how pronounced his "arch" seemed to get on his last two shots.
    Yet he got called to play on whilst doing it. Buddy of course can run 10 metres off the mark and it's his natural arc. Fergus needs to let the umpires know it's his natural arc as well. Or just run in straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Showing some nice signs.

I like his pace and agility and he's also got an impressive spring in his step with long arms.

There's a bit to work with here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Showing some nice signs.

I like his pace and agility and he's also got an impressive spring in his step with long arms.

There's a bit to work with here.
    I like that he can mark the ball at full stretch or at the highest point. Hopefully in time he will catch defenders out with his athleticism.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I like Fergus, but I think the 20 game rule should apply either way.

I've been meaning to ask, does the clock tick over again for Josh Scasche? Because he's already played 20+ games at Brisbane should we be expecting him to be kicking ten goals a game like Jack Rievoldt?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.