Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  49
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Fergus Greene

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    In BT we trust?

Oh yeah, with that Masonic one eyed triangle thingy staring out at us.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news re Fergus until end next year. Should give him more confidence in his abilities - which look pretty damn good at this early stage of his career. Go Fergus!!

Post Thanks / Like

Prudent list management.

Gut feel suggests under the old regime he may have got a two year deal.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

5 games to round the year out. Averaging 1.1 . Leads well. Has good endurance. Has good marking hand and handballing hands. Has a good shimmy, a nice looking set shot action.

With a strong preseason, here's looking to to Fergus in 2019.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    5 games to round the year out. Averaging 1.1 . Leads well. Has good endurance. Has good marking hand and handballing hands. Has a good shimmy, a nice looking set shot action.

With a strong preseason, here's looking to to Fergus in 2019.
    I would say Fergus needs a big pre-season and seriously needs to add some strength.

At the moment he gets pulled down basically every time he is under physical pressure. Improve that and he could become extremely dangerous.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I would say Fergus needs a big pre-season and seriously needs to add some strength.

At the moment he gets pulled down basically every time he is under physical pressure. Improve that and he could become extremely dangerous.
    For sure. I'm guessing that's going to be a strong focus over the preseason. I wasn't sure he'd play the balance of the 5 games to end the season, but that he did and showed glimpses in all of them is encouraging for him. Now to hit the gym.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Another one of his dances doing the rounds, the guys one weird unit. Wearing a coloured mankini it looks like.
    Funny stuff.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Stumble on this article from the 8th May and thought I would post it as we haven't heard much from Fergus.

Western Bulldogs forward Fergus Greene pumped up for 2020 season

After 12 months of frustration, Fergus Greene is hopeful there's light at the end of the tunnel.

The Western Bulldogs forward had his 2019 season skittled by a shoulder injury and he was primed for a big 2020 before COVID-19 put footy on hold.

Life in lockdown for the best part of two months has only enhanced the footy appetite of the former Sandhurst and Bendigo Pioneers forward.

"I rediscovered the passion and love for the game last year when I was watching the boys go on a really good run to the finals,'' Greene said.

"It was hard knowing I couldn't be a part of it.

"I had a really big push this season to try and get into the side. It's been frustrating to have the start of this season taken away, but we're all in the same boat and we have to live with it.

"I really want to hang around and be part of the club for a long time, so I've got a drive there to do well."

Greene, 22, showed great signs for the Dogs in five senior games late in 2018.

That form earned him a one-year extension on his contract, which expires at the end of 2020.

The shoulder injury last year didn't allow him to add to his five matches.

The injury forced him to start pre-season training a little later than his team-mates, but he put in the hard yards and completed all of the sessions post-Christmas until a slight calf injury on the eve of the season put paid to any hopes he had of playing in the senior side against Collingwood in round one.

"For me, personally, this is a big year for me because I need to perform well to get a new contract, so that's been my big personal motivator," he said.

That's been Greene's driving force during lockdown.

Training in pairs has its challenges, but Greene has tried to stay positive.

"I live near Lin Jong, so I've been doing a fair bit of training with him,'' Greene said.

"We have a similar fitness base, so it's been nice to do a lot of the workload with him.

"There's a few other guys that live in the area close to Footscray, so we've changed things up a bit just to keep our minds relatively fresh.

"The uncertainty of when we're going back has its challenges. Everyone is pretty optimistic that we're going to get a season in, so that does put a pep in our step.

"My body feels good at the moment, touch wood.

"It was a frustrating year last year...hopefully I get a clean run this year.

"There's no niggles at the moment, so I'd like to get a short pre-season in and then head into the season up and running."

Greene said the biggest challenge during lockdown has been maintaining his skills - particularly by foot.

"There's been sessions where you can't find someone to train with and you run by yourself and you find yourself kicking the ball and chasing it like you did when you were five years old,'' he said.

"Luckily, I live with my brother (Seb) and I've been able to train with him, but even he did a calf right at the start of quarantine, so I lost him for a while.

"The hardest aspect has been working on kicking, but when we get back (to the club) I think everyone will be in the same boat.

"It might take a bit for players to get their touch back, but considering we did a lot of work before isolation I'm confident we'll all adapt pretty well."

Lockdown hasn't just been about footy training for Greene.

He's enrolled in a financial marketing course to "keep the brain ticking over".

"I've brought out a few old video games as well and NBA2K has been getting a good run,'' Greene said.

"We can't play golf, so a few of the boys have downloaded a (golf) game on the PS4 and we play that every few nights.

"I'm no good at real golf, but I enjoy it. I picked it up at the start of this year and I found it really relaxing.

"A few of the other boys are pretty handy at it, so I have to pick my crowd if I want to win."

The Bulldogs have had lockdown to mull over their poor performance against Collingwood in round one.

After entering the season-opener with plenty of confidence, the Dogs were outclassed by the Magpies.

"We didn't speak too much about the game because by the Monday after the game we were told we had to leave the club,'' Greene said.

"We lost the elimination final (last year) to the Giants and got outbodied a lot and pushed around physically. Over the pre-season we worked a lot on making sure that didn't happen again.

"Against Collingwood in round one we didn't send the message we wanted.

"Come round two, I'm sure Bevo (coach Luke Beveridge) will have the boys fit and firing and ready to put the foot forward that we wanted to do in round one."

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

11. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see him cracking another game?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Pretty hard to put forward his case in the current environment.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Pretty hard to put forward his case in the current environment.
    Yeah that's what I mean, unless he can pile on some goals in the scratch matches.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if we continue to run with the 3 medium leading/marking forwards setup (currently boasting Lloyd, Dale and Wallis) then he fits that mould and could be a chance. I've really liked the glimpses we have seen, even if they have been very limited.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I think he has talent but he is fighting the likes of Lloyd, Dale, Wallis, Gowers, Dickson, Weightman and Cavarra for a couple of spots

The concern for me now is his acknowledgement that his kicking skills might have diminished, Previously he had a good goal kicking action but with mixed results and he now really needs to be nearly as good as Dickson with his conversions

As BAD mentioned, he might need a few things to go his way to force his way in.
    His running capacity was always good so could he potentially move into a more midfield role?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    His running capacity was always good so could he potentially move into a more midfield role?
    Not really a natural accumulator though. He's actually quite similar to Bailey Dale, who represents his biggest competition.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If he's fit and doing the right things at training then why not? Here is the production levels of the small/medium forwards currently ahead of him over the past 4 games (incl elimination final 2019)

Sam Lloyd 1 goal
    Bailey Dale 0 goals
    Billy Gowers 0 goals
    Ben Cavarra 1 goal
    Mitch Wallis 2 goals
    Tory Dickson 0 goals

Disposal counts on all of them are fairly low as well. These guys aren't exactly setting the world on fire.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

20. Likes bornadog, azabob liked this post